Advice for new busa owner...so much power, any tips?

sticky6

Registered
Hello,

I'm getting her Thursday. I've been riding since I was 12 but did a lot of stupid **** and I never went down. thank goodness. I promised my mom and wife I'll do everything I can to stay safe on this beast. I'm 26 btw. I'm not a maniac so I"m not looking for advice on how to go fast in town and wheelie and ****.

Anything that relates more specific to the busa and it's power? It only goes as fast as you make it, but through a pothole etc, any advice on keeping the throttle steady etc? I bought bar ends to keep half throttle half bar end on my hand for more stability.

I plan on taking advanced courses in the future months (Lee Parks) and spending some time on the track too. Not to be a maniac but learn proper cornering and handling. I believe that will translate well onto the street. I know people say you want to tap into the power and all and yes, I probably will do a little bit on a long straight. but for the next two months I need to learn her. Any advice is appreciated.

thank you

Curious as to why you chose a busa if you're looking to "go fast in town and wheelie and ****?" The busa will do that without too much coaxing. If that is your goal, why not go for a lighter bike like a Gixxer 600 or even a 1k?

Learning to ride and control the busa at slow speeds should be your primary focus for many weeks or months to come. It takes a while to be comfortable in the seat of this beast.

What were you riding before?

Only two kinds of riders.
Those that have been down and those that are gonna go down.

And your life is in your right wrist. Be careful. Busas accelerate a lot faster than they stop.

Curious as to why you chose a busa if you're looking to "go fast in town and wheelie and ****?" The busa will do that without too much coaxing. If that is your goal, why not go for a lighter bike like a Gixxer 600 or even a 1k?

Learning to ride and control the busa at slow speeds should be your primary focus for many weeks or months to come. It takes a while to be comfortable in the seat of this beast.

What were you riding before?

thanks for the reply but you should go re-read what I said. I'm NOT trying to do that. I DO NOT want to wheelie and drive like a maniac in town. I just asked for some advice on how to properly learn the bike and ofcourse at slow speeds. Again, NOT trying to do that stupid stuff.

I started on a 50cc, then 125, 400, 600 and old'ish gsx1100. I'm new to the busa though.

You will find out soon enough how much torque this bike has. When I first got my 05, I couldnt believe how easy it was to take off. Take your time, go easy on the throttle. Speed is deceptive on this bike. After riding it for a while, other bikes will feel like toys. Take the time to get used to it.

I plan on taking advanced courses in the future months (Lee Parks) and spending some time on the track too. Not to be a maniac but learn proper cornering and handling. I believe that will translate well onto the street. I know people say you want to tap into the power and all and yes, I probably will do a little bit on a long straight. but for the next two months I need to learn her. Any advice is appreciated.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Learn the bike, throttle control, braking, cornering, etc... She will do about anything you ask of her. But remember, she is a big, powerful girl and she will whoop the sh*t out of you if you dont respect her. As others have said everything is in the right wrist, you learn that and you will be doing good. Other then that, have fun, ride safe.

I have to agree with what SoCal Blur said, "learning to ride and control the busa at slow speeds should be your primary focus for many weeks or months to come."

A word of advice, ATGATT All The Gear All The Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you get her remember you have to post pics it's the :rulez:

I will do. Thanks.

So for controlling her at slow speeds, is it a god idea to go to one of the MSF courses here on a late sunday afternoon and do what you do just with the bigger bike? Figure eights, esses and all that? If not, what about a parking lot?
What "exercises" would you guys say is good for practising apart from just riding on the street?

Thank you again.

Sounds like yo got your head on right as far as taking advanced courses. Could never hurt. Like the other guys said, get on 'er and feel 'er out. You'll learn what she's capable of without much coaxing. Just be easy and always stay alert...safety is ALWAYS 1st

thanks for the reply but you should go re-read what I said. I'm NOT trying to do that. I DO NOT want to wheelie and drive like a maniac in town. I just asked for some advice on how to properly learn the bike and ofcourse at slow speeds. Again, NOT trying to do that stupid stuff.

I started on a 50cc, then 125, 400, 600 and old'ish gsx1100. I'm new to the busa though.

Sorry, that's what I get for trying to read and work at the same time. I still stick with my original recommendation, however. Take the time to slowly learn how she behaves. I really didn't feel comfortable until about 3 months of continuous riding in various situations. Even feeling comfortable there is still no lack of respect for the instantaneous power that can be had, either intentionally or accidentally.

The big bird really isn't all that much of a beast. Just keep the RPMs down and she's a tame old girl.. No worries. My Gsxr1000's would buck you off, but the big Busa is perfectly happy just tooling along..

Stay safe! :beerchug:

Yeah it's in the wrist. I got small bar ends today, I didnt' know they will be so narrow but it's all the dealer had. This bike has only the throttle handle and no ends. So I"m putting the rather small ends on and see if it helps with keeping half hand on and half hand on bar ends to control the throttle more. My biggest concern was bouncing and pot holes and accidently rolling the throttle on.

So to my original question is it good to go to the MSF course and ride a bit and practise what I did on it? For slow and smooth control? Any other ideas? I was thinking about going to a parking lot late at night or afternoon and practise some braking and swerving.

If its a Gen II put it in C mode on the way home... Wait till you get used to how she moves before you twist the throttle and take off in A mode... no one will know!

Yeah it's in the wrist. I got small bar ends today, I didnt' know they will be so narrow but it's all the dealer had. This bike has only the throttle handle and no ends. So I"m putting the rather small ends on and see if it helps with keeping half hand on and half hand on bar ends to control the throttle more. My biggest concern was bouncing and pot holes and accidently rolling the throttle on.

So to my original question is it good to go to the MSF course and ride a bit and practise what I did on it? For slow and smooth control? Any other ideas? I was thinking about going to a parking lot late at night or afternoon and practise some braking and swerving.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm a huge fan of further education, but I'd wait a month or so to get used to the weight of the Busa before I took the Advanced Rider Course.. They do some crazy stuff in the riding section that you really need to move the bike around for. I'd hate to see you drop it soon after you bought it.. But that's just me.

Others may tell you the course will help you in that respect. :beerchug:

.....So I"m putting the rather small ends on and see if it helps with keeping half hand on and half hand on bar ends to control the throttle more.

NO, no, no ,no.....NO > > > > :rulez: your right hand needs to be FULLY covering the throttle ONLY, and NOT touching ANY part of the bar ends at all!!! The bar ends are designed purely to help with steering stability and to minimise engine vibration travelling up thru to the handlebars!

Do some rider courses if you wanna brush up on your skills, and stay right away from other traffic till you're comfortable with having full control of your busa! :thumbsup:

If you been riding since you were 12 and have ridden numerous bikes wouldnt one know the proper wrist angle and grip on a motorcycle? Are you handicapped or have poor muscle control in your wrists? Plan on taking the busa off road on some wooptie doo'S maybe hit a few triples? :dunno:

Anyways enjoy your ride. The Busa is smooth and heavy which relates to higher speeds then you realize when you enter that tight turn.

Practice braking, braking, braking and please stay off the rear brake. its not a dirt bike. Stay off the rear brake please.

You have a good plan, just stick with it. Parking lots are great for skills at low speeds. If you can handle the bike under 10 mph, you can handle it anywhere. Please be careful, wear gear (all of it), and have fun bro!

Back