Thoughts on best battery to buy for a Gen II

Hornfan

Registered
I'm thinking about purchasing a new battery for my 2009 GSX1300RK9. I generally use my bike for sport touring, heavy on the touring. I ride roughly 25,000 miles per year, and have a Garmin Zumo 665 and a Scalarider G4 communicator. Everything else is bone-stock. Which battery should I use? I am interested in a lighter weight and smaller battery, but I also would like having a bit more power. Any thoughts?

when it comes to batterys i wont use nothing then a yuasa..its the only one that will last you for years to come...

The stock one on my 09 died 2 months ago. I ended up getting one from battery plus that comes with 2 year warranty for 84.99 plus tax. Also got a battery tender!!

The stock one on my 09 died 2 months ago. I ended up getting one from battery plus that comes with 2 year warranty for 84.99 plus tax. Also got a battery tender!!
i dont wana piss on your corn flakes but i buddy of mine tried one and needless to say hes on his 3rd one in a years time...hope you have better luck then he did..

Shorai, (2.5lbs) light weight, more cold cranking amps, no battery acid too! Lithium iron battery!

squale147 said:
i dont wana piss on your corn flakes but i buddy of mine tried one and needless to say hes on his 3rd one in a years time...hope you have better luck then he did..

Thanks for the heads up.!! I hope mine does better than his!

is there any benefit in getting a slightly taller battery / one bigger than stock....as far as how long it will last?

Shorai, (2.5lbs) light weight, more cold cranking amps, no battery acid too! Lithium iron battery!

is there any benefit in getting a slightly taller battery / one bigger than stock....as far as how long it will last?

Based on what you were looking for I agree with EarlyBird and plan on getting one when my original goes away. The physical dimension of the battery isn't important to the longevity of the battery. As long as the battery you get matches or closely matches that of the factory battery it will hold up as long as you take care of it. The Lithium Iron battery is actually suppose to last a few years longer than the sealed lead acid.

To the OP, is your battery bad ? I'm running the original battery in my '08 and plan on running it a few more years.

I stay away from Lithium batteries since I ride a lot in the cold. Lithium batteries do not like cold temps - just something to consider depending on your riding habits.

From memory I think a number of members are running them. It would be interesting to see if they've had any problems. Unless I hear something negative in the next few years it's what I'll be going with.

Thanks for all of the responses, guys. Just trying to get an idea of what's good and if anyone has had problems with anything.

One year on my battery and going strong on the shorai... So I can say its all good! Even in 30 degree weather. Noticed the busa turns over quicker in the cold or very hot! My stock battery was getting weak, also a bad rectifier didnt help it out. That got replaced with a new one from suzuki, but my stock battery was compromised by then. Never charged the shorai for the months I couldnt ride due to injury, started 4 months later like a new battery! My next battery will be a shorai too!

This is the battery I'll use when I replace my OEM on my Busa. I've had one in my ZRX 1200 for about a year with zero problems. It's so small and light it will make you LOL...but it works great!!!

Back