HELP!!!! Blowing a lot of Oil Filter Seals

Johnny Venomous

Registered
I keep blowing oil filter seals where it dumps a LOT of oil all over the floor (Actually bends oil filter sideways a little and the seal comes out the side). Have tried different filters, OEM ones seem to work best and K&N's suck big time. I have been tightening them by spinning filter on till it touches and then 2 full turns tighter as I beleive is the factory spec. Mostly happens when I first start the bike when the engine and oil is cool. If i let it idle for a while it seems okay once oil is warm and thin, but if I whack the throttle a little before the oil thins out it pukes a quart all over the floor. Could I have blockage somewhere? Is there an orfice or screen in the oil circuit somewhere? Oil cooler plugged? I'm running 10W-40, should I try a thinner oil? Any ideas would help!!! Thanks
On my way to dealer for another couple filters tommorow:banghead:

Something is definately blocked, and so far that o-ring is the weakest link.
I'de disconnect the oil cooler first and use a small amount of compressed air in one of the lines to check it.
Any recent work done prior to this happening?

Had some water foam up the oil, had clutch cover off during a rain storm and tarp covering bike blew off and let some rain water in. I didn't know it until I started bike and saw foaming oil. Flushed it with fresh oil about six times and everything is nice a clear again but I have this filter problem now.

If the cover blew off it's possible a small piece of trash blew into the open case, and floated around until it lodged somewhere.

You don't have a filter gasket stuck to the block do you? So when you put the new filter on you effectively have two oil filter seals are on there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You don't have a filter gasket stuck to the block do you? So when you put the new filter on you effectively have two oil filter seals are on there.

That was the first thing I thought, but if he's been through that many oil filters it should've came off.
But you never know, every once in a while you get lucky and it is something simple.:beerchug:

The first one I pulled off the block was really on there. Its easy to miss if your not looking for it. I was just thinking start simple and work your way up.

The first one I pulled off the block was really on there. Its easy to miss if your not looking for it. I was just thinking start simple and work your way up.

Most definately, I totally agree with you. Regardless whether or not that's the problem I'm glad you mentioned it.
Been there, done that.:laugh:

I always check for the old gasket (its usually hanging out of the side of filter). Piece of debris blowing into case could definitly cause a problem. I think I need to start blowing stuff out with some compressed air.

Have you got a burr where the metal touches the seal? run your finger around it? First off, try not tightening it so hard next time and see what happens.

What year is the bike?
Have you had any thing else apart on the bike lately?

Has the bike been in storage, and your trying to get it running?

Check the threads of the mounting tube that the filter spins onto. Make sure they are in good condition and true to the mounting surface that the O-ring seats against. Your filter should mount FLUSH to that flat machined area. Put a small carpenters square up against it if you have to. I have had similar situations with hydraulic filters that have blown. It usually is because one of our operators smacked the filter against something, slightly "tweaking" the mount. Fluid under pressure comes out on one side of the filter even thought the filter seems plenty tight.

I agree with dane. Does the gasket always blow out in the same spot? If so, most likely the filter mount.

I am highly suspicious that it's not due to something getting into the crankcase and plugging holes. I'm sure the oil system has a bypass valve to compensate for pressure until the oil heats up? Maybe someone else could answer that question?

I agree too. If it turns out to be a "tweaked" mount how does he fix it?

The old seal thing has been beat to death but my two cents would be a small portion of the the old seal left behind or something adhered to the contact surface.

After all the filter is conveniently located between the hot header pipes and it is so easy to inspect. Let us know what you see.

The bike is an 02 with 6700 miles on it that I bought wrecked at auction. I stripped bike down to just the frame and motor hanging from scaffolding so I could paint the frame black (which looks SWEET!!!). Bike is pretty much ready for the road as soon as I mount the footpegs, bleed the brakes (and can keep oil in the bike!!). I'll check for burrs and straightness, Also I think the seals have been blowing on different sides, but if it happens again I"ll keep a eye out for the position of the seal failure.

Sounds like the crankcase breather is plugged!

Could be, you'de think it would give there first though and puke oil back into the airbox.
Since it's a wreck I hope that there is no damage to the filter surface.

Could it just be that you are overtightnening the filter and smooshing rubber gasket?
I only spin mine 3/4 to 1 turn after contact.

Would that create his problem?

Back