Turbo blow off valve install

dell

Registered
I wanted to install a blow off valve on my turbo kit. I am not quite sure where it needs to go. Does the intake plenum need modified to accept it or can I use one of these 2" tubes from ebay with a flange already welded on it and just splice into the charged tube line between the turbo and intake. Thanks for any help.

the closer you can locate the bov to the throttle bodies (plenum), the more effective the bov will be. the charge piping is so short, frankly, that it probably won't matter in your application.

Thanks so much, it will save me a lot of money if I just buy one of these small pipes with flange already welded to it and bolt :thumbsup::thumbsup: bov to it. I will put it just before intake if you don't think it will make a difference.

If you are not running anymore then 10lbs boost you do not need one.

NEGITIVE!! Any sort of positive pressure not used, will exit out the way I came....back through the turbo. It may take longer to damage the turbo at low boost, but regardless it still causes damage. Specially on a street bike, when your constantly on and off the throttle.

NEGITIVE!! Any sort of positive pressure not used, will exit out the way I came....back through the turbo. It may take longer to damage the turbo at low boost, but regardless it still causes damage. Specially on a street bike, when your constantly on and off the throttle.

I am planning to install a bov as well as a boost control this week. I am going to try to run the bov spliced into the silicon charge hose with a prefabbed flange. I am trying to avoid fabricating the bov into the intake plenum. Hopefully this setup will work. Thanks for your response.

Don't cheap out, and half ass it like that. Take the plenum off and have someone weld the flange to it.

And if your bikes a stage 1 with a fmu, DO NOT install a boost controler. Fmu's can not compensate for multiple boost levels.

Don't cheap out, and half ass it like that. Take the plenum off and have someone weld the flange to it.

And if your bikes a stage 1 with a fmu, DO NOT install a boost controler. Fmu's can not compensate for multiple boost levels.

Will this setup not work? My other thought was that I could have the bov more exposed and thus get a better sound from it rather than have it stuck under my fuel tank. I have to admit this would be my first install and I didn't know if it would work or not and this way I wouldn't be committed to it. I have been told by a couple of people I didn't need it but I have to admit I think they sound cool and I wanted to try it out.

I'm not saying that it won't work, but it is the wrong way to go about it. If you have a turbo bike you obviosly have some money in to it. So why cut corners now? The proper way is to have it welded on to the plenum. And it's not gonna be any louder if it's under the tank, or sticking out like a frame slider. It depends what valve you get. If your all about aBout sound, the go with a turbo xs, or a hks blow off valve.

I'm not saying that it won't work, but it is the wrong way to go about it. If you have a turbo bike you obviosly have some money in to it. So why cut corners now? The proper way is to have it welded on to the plenum. And it's not gonna be any louder if it's under the tank, or sticking out like a frame slider. It depends what valve you get. If your all about aBout sound, the go with a turbo xs, or a hks blow off valve.

Yes it is true I have some money into it. I don't really want to cheap it out. I mostly wanted the sound, but if it doesn't make a difference I'll have someone weld the flange to the plenum and just go with an hks bov. Thanks for the input. I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to run a boost controller even if I only bump it up to 10psi? If thats the case I will just leave it alone.

I respectfully disagree with you on this, the boost is not enough to cause damage to the turbo in the Hayabusa application if it is below 10 lbs. I have been drag racing a Velocity Stage 1 turbo since 2007. Looking over my run records, as of last year I have 1,124 WFO passes on the turbo at 6 lbs and 183 passes at 10 lbs with no repairs to the turbo. Where a definite problem comes into play is when you start going to the higher boost levels without a BOV you run the risk of damaging the throttle bodies when chopping the throttle after wide open pass under full boost. I have seen the excess boost bend the butterflies on Pro Street bikes.

Murdered07: Although I think you are correct in cautioning someone new, I am sure that you know that you can run an FMU with a boost controller, we do it all the time. The FMU only ramps the fuel pressure, it has nothing to do with compensating the A/F for different levels, as you said. Usually on a Stage One, running a powercommander set up for boost-referencing will do the trick just fine . . . giving a Stage One more range.

I respectfully disagree with you on this, the boost is not enough to cause damage to the turbo in the Hayabusa application if it is below 10 lbs. I have been drag racing a Velocity Stage 1 turbo since 2007. Looking over my run records, as of last year I have 1,124 WFO passes on the turbo at 6 lbs and 183 passes at 10 lbs with no repairs to the turbo. Where a definite problem comes into play is when you start going to the higher boost levels without a BOV you run the risk of damaging the throttle bodies when chopping the throttle after wide open pass under full boost. I have seen the excess boost bend the butterflies on Pro Street bikes.

Check out which way the throttle plates were bent the next time you see this. Sometimes they bend out, instead of in, because of a lean misfire situation. Although it is possible to bend the plates the other way when shutting the throttle after a WFO pull, the reason I like BOVs on everything is because they obviously relieve backpressure in the plenum - and backpressure can slow the turbo down. If you like to partially close throttle between shifts, your boost level will drop without a BOV because of this backpressure.

I noticed that hks had discontinued the ssqv...but they have the sqv3 or sqv4...is the only differents in the two is the 4 is smaller?

Back