chrome peeling off rims

padenbrown

Registered
my bike is an 05 that had really never been ridden (had 1200 miles on it when i bought it this year), by the looks of it it sat in a damp garage its whole life or something cause the chrome on the rims is bubbling up and peeling off badly, im not exactly in the market to buy the nice 5 spoke rims i want, so i was wondering what everyone thought about this and if i should find a place to re dip mine or powder coat em black and how much either one of these would be and if anyone knows a place that does so in the killeen/austin area. in the pic you can see on the rear wheel (on the right side of the chain guard) how bad its peeling, not hurting anything just bugs the crap out of me. open to all suggestions.

298573_10150416925244853_513489852_10230688_2145862877_n.jpg

Wow never seen that before, except for on really really OLD Bikes, but not on an 05
Can't suggest anything man, except for getting then redone or powder coated

Wow never seen that before, except for on really really OLD Bikes, but not on an 05
Can't suggest anything man, except for getting then redone or powder coated

yeah it is really agrivating, the clutch and brake levers are doing it, so is the tree, but they look like a bumper on an old car, kinda lumpy, i got new levers, just aint there to install, i dont even know where to start on looking for a place to chrome, i know trophy shops nickel plate things like guns and stuff but where to find one of them too lol, its hard being in the military and having toys with the small checks we get, and im not sure if its cheaper to just buy some used chrome rims on ebay.

Bike must have been stored outside for years .......... after the wreck. Time to strip them down, maybe go back with powdercoat. Best of luck.

Nothing you can really do. Except redo or powder. Good luck man hope it all works out.

but wheeeerrrrreeeee?????

All those resources in Killeen/Austin/San Antonio area... Find that hard to believe. I had some powdercoat done in Waco and even though it was 30 min away from the house, I still sent it by mail from Copperas Cove. Get on google and look up a few bike shops near you and ask them if they know any places that does chrome work- they would know where or point you in the right direction. And you know the weather is always hot. Just because the bike has been inside doesn't mean the elements won't necessarily get to the bike. If anything you're 2 1/2 hours tops from Dallas/Ft Worth.

Last edited:
All those resources in Killeen/Austin/San Antonio area... Find that hard to believe. I had some powdercoat done in Waco and even though it was 30 min away from the house, I still sent it by mail from Copperas Cove. Get on google and look up a few bike shops near you and ask them if they know any places that does chrome work- they would know where or point you in the right direction. And you know the weather is always hot. Just because the bike has been inside doesn't mean the elements won't necessarily get to the bike. If anything you're 2 1/2 hours tops from Dallas/Ft Worth.
cheaper to buy good used rims i have found...and the only element in west texas we have is heat, never seen heat peel chrome

mine was pittin & peeling, so i powdercoated mine...:thumbsup:
them look good, the white definately makes em stand out, not sure if thats a color id like, maybe a gunmetal or something if i went that route, definately not black though would be too much i think. man thats a fat can!

Back