Oil filter change from hell

fast08busa

Professional Pilot kinda sorta
Registered
So i have a 2008 with a full vance and hines 4-2-1 exhaust. The problem im having is that the oil filter is about a 1/2 away from the header, leaving no room to simply unscrew the filter and replace it. Brocks and Schnitz racing has an oil filter relocating piece but i don't wanna spend $200 on it. Does anyone have this problem and any possible remedies for it without completely tearing the front part of the bike off to get to the headers? Any help would be great, and as soon as my phone quits being dumb, ill post a pic.

i just put the akra on mine and having the same problem as you.. just take off the oil line thats next to it..

I have the Tsukigi cannon on mine, I drop the oil while its hot then come back to remove the filter after the headers cool down. It seems like sometimes are easer than others to get it out, but it is way less frustrating when it's cool.

i also have the Tsukigi full Exhaust and to get it past my headers coming out and in i have to give the filter a lil tap with my palm to get in between.

That is sometimes a problem with headers, bigger tubes than stock, not easy with Ti Force either...

I have a full Yoshimura and was in the same boat. I replaced the oil cooler line with a SS one from Brock's and have not had a problem with clearance or removal since.
No bolt removal or oil cooler fin bashing for me. :beerchug:

I have a full Yoshimura and was in the same boat. I replaced the oil cooler line with a SS one from Brock's and have not had a problem with clearance or removal since.
No bolt removal or oil cooler fin bashing for me. :beerchug:

Do you have a pic?

I work it past my Brocks, I think they maintained the same clearance as the stocker. If I read correctly and you can't even spin the filter off you def need the relocator.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust system, and have to resort to removing or re-locating stock components to remove the oil filter, this seems to suggest a design issue on the part of the manufacturer of the headers.

I received one of the very first GenII full Yosh R77 setups from Yoshimura in the early winter of 2007. While the oil filter does need to be snaked in/out of the header area using a certain sequence of spinning the filter and positioning it properly before you can ease it between header pipes, once you learn this sequence, the stock oil filter literally falls free from the header pipes. Samey-same for installing a fresh filter.

Who knows, perhaps some other exhaust header manufacturers aren't quite as experienced with Suzuki in general (and the Hayabusa in particular) like Yosh is.... :dunno:

I have a TiForce exhaust on my 08. when I change my oil I just take the oil cooler line off and let some of the dirty oil drain out and remove the filter that way. I can do an oil change in less that 20 minutes. Thats Platics off and plastics back on and engine running and out the door and riding down the road.

The Suzuki cup wrench fits over the end of the filter and has a nut on it so once you put the cup wrench on you can use a wrench from the side to loosen it. Take the cup wrench off the filter before you unscrew it all the way or it will back out into the header pipes. Pull off one end of the oil line(one allen head bolt) and pull the filter out the side.

Ok so heres what the problem looks like, After a couple of beers and about an hour of staring at it, me and my brother both decided just to get the part.....

2011-05-20 18.16.35.jpg

Well why didn't you say you had a sidewinder?!? No other way than an 90* adaptor or remote filter.:rulez:

Back