How to lower a Busa

Matt-the-Knife

Registered
I'm looking for some info on how to Lower my '06 Busa. Is there an adjustment on the front forks and rear spring that can be made or do I need to purchase aftermarket links, etc....
Thank you,:beerchug:

To lower the front and back you would need lowering links in the back...the common ones have stock, -1" and -2" ... and then there is the soupys style which is a rod end with hex center section...probably stronger and better range of adjustment. Also a sponsor here.

The front you would need a top clamp that allows the forks to raise above the stock position which decreases the distance from the axel to the top clamp...so it is lower. Quality of material is important. I suggest searching the site and buying from a sponsor..you get good parts and your dealing with someone whos knows the bike with a proven reputation.

when you lower the fron i suggest using spacers and longer bolts between the 2 top triples as the new triple has to put your bars and controls 3/4 inch farther away from you and that makes the bike uncomfortable to ride as well as putting your controls into the plastic dash when you turn wich isnt safe...a higher sitting stock top piece is more comfortable and you will have no clearence issues, also the fron doesnt need to be dropped more then 3/4-1 inch to look really sweet, i only droped mine 1/2 inch...u can also tear the forks apart and put a shorter spacer inside them, but i would save that untill your seals are blown or you upgrade the springs and do it all at once...the adjustable turn buckle style links for the rear are a must...do not use the crappy ones with the set holes, if you need more clearence the day you put a hottie on the back you are fudge out a luck, with the turn buckle style ones u can just turn each one 3 times and you now have enough clearence for the added wieght of a passenger

A few thoughts on lowering your bike.
I have the thickest spacer made(to my knowledge) and have no issues with it hitting anywhere
IF you lower either end but not both or lower it unevenly you will effect the steering geometry and the handling.
The fastest simplest way to lower the front is to use a XXX-XXX handlebar riser. This allows the forks to be slid upwards through the forks the thickness of the riser and there several thicknesses available.
In the rear I would advise using the adjustable lowering links made by XXXX'X or XXXX'X IF you can afford them as this allows your not only to set the ride height exactly where you want it but also to raise or lower the bike in minutes.
Ideally you want to raise or lower the bike the SAME amount front and rear as this will effect rake trail and steering geometry the least amount.
If you lower only the rear the steering will become slower if you lower only the front the steering angle becomes too steep and the bike becomes more prone to head shake.
(Brand names not used to avoid drama)
Marie
Queen of the Banned

Last edited:
You have a few options to choose from. Decide why you want to lower it...looks or drag racing and go from there. It will be a compromise for looks and function (from stock settings) it may be an improvment or hinderance...I have no experiecne with spacers up front so I cannot comment, but it seems logical that they sevre the same purpose.

I just sit on mine :laugh: but seriously by a set of links for the rear and risers for the front. I think that's the cheapest way going and gets you roughly 2" in the rear and 1 1/2 " in the front.

I went with the Soupy's (turn buckle style) and spacer "brick" in the front. so far I'm really happy with the entire "kit" from them. this is just my opinion and not trying to cause a "this brand is better than X brand" just stating what I did and how I like it :)

:thumbsup:

06blkbusa 036.jpg

Dadofthree, Do you have to replace your kickstand with this setup?

"I just sit on mine but seriously by a set of links for the rear and risers for the front. I think that's the cheapest way going and gets you roughly 2" in the rear and 1 1/2 " in the front"

Last edited:
Dadofthree, Do you have to replace your kickstand with this setup?

"I just sit on mine but seriously by a set of links for the rear and risers for the front. I think that's the cheapest way going and gets you roughly 2" in the rear and 1 1/2 " in the front"

nah, just do the kickstand mod

Can you not just lower the front like you would on the smaller gsxr's. I know with my k6 gsxr 750, we just loosened the top two bolts on the forks, slid the bike down, and retightened. Does the busa not work the same way?

Can you not just lower the front like you would on the smaller gsxr's. I know with my k6 gsxr 750, we just loosened the top two bolts on the forks, slid the bike down, and retightened. Does the busa not work the same way?

Similar. - You have to loosen the clamps around the forks; four bolts in total, IIRC. (Upper and lower clamps.)
Then you can slide the forks up through the clamps.

You need an aftermarket top clamp or spacers so the forks can pass through.

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

Okay so I do have to purchase something to lower the front? I know I need lowering links for the rear. Or could I just loosen the bolts on the forks so I can slide them down. Then the triple tree cover would just have a gap in it.

you can do both mods for about $50 if you look around. i got the 1" front risers(which actually lowers the front end) and 3 hole(stock,down 1", down 3") links for the back. looks awesome and still handles pretty good. if youre looking to carve corners you dont want to lower anything you want to raise the rear.

when you put on the front risers dont take everything loose at once if you let the triple tree "drop". without holding it youre gonna have a heck of a time getting it back up.

just use a rear stand and a jack to change the back.

did both in about an hour. easy swap

Back