2nd Gear Hesitation

1BadAssBusa

Registered
Looking 4 some help.... When I'm in 2nd gear, and crack the throttle, the bike hesitates around 7000-8000 RPM. This only happens in 2nd gear. Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

gear could be slipping. mine did this. kinda felt like a little jerk. only when i got on it. if taking it easy then nothing. pretty common if you drag race or are real hard on the gearing. i posted a thread on my rebuild about this very thing

my 06 does that, only under WOT acceleration. soon as i get a chance i'm getting the trans undercut.

I guess it can be called a slip as well. It only happens under hard acceleration, and only in 2nd gear. What does undercutting the trans mean?

How many miles are on the bike?
Do you power shift, or do you use the clutch all the time?
Also gen one or two?

10K miles on the bike. Gen 1, and I always use the clutch to shift

Sound to me like the motor need to come out! Sorry to say, but the busa's have had the same problem for all the years.
Second gears are notorious for going bad!

As for the fix, it has already been said to undercut the transmission.
What undercutting achieves, is the gears will engage more than they do stock! In simple terms.

Thanks 4 the info. Any idea how much $$ this will set me back? I might consider this work now that the riding season is over (cold weather)

if you can pull the motor, ape will do it for 328. that's every gear. i would also assume there's some sort of shipping charge also.

I do most of the work on my bike, but I do not have the tools or confidence to remove the engine. Guess I better prepare to get ripped by the dealer or speed shop.

Just got word from my dealer, who I have trusted with my '06LE through 49,400 miles, that the transmission has been causing my skips at 5200 RPM and then again at 7200 RPM in 2nd gear. He is quoting $2500 to $3000 to pull the tranny and have it worked on. Is this realistic? We started looking at the K&N air filter, then the Smart Ivan TRE, then the front and rear sprockets and chain, then the fuel pump which was throwing only 27 PSI at high RPMs.

Just got word from my dealer, who I have trusted with my '06LE through 49,400 miles, that the transmission has been causing my skips at 5200 RPM and then again at 7200 RPM in 2nd gear. He is quoting $2500 to $3000 to pull the tranny and have it worked on. Is this realistic? We started looking at the K&N air filter, then the Smart Ivan TRE, then the front and rear sprockets and chain, then the fuel pump which was throwing only 27 PSI at high RPMs.

Considering that having the trans gears themselves machined(undercut)is $400 to $500, I'de say they're rippin you one.

Back