Track day questions

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
It's been a loooong time, when I was still young and brave, and it was in a different country on the Kyalami GP track, when it still had a nice long straight. So, I really know nothing and have a lot of questions. Don't laugh OK.:rulez:

1.) What type of top speeds with a 1k bike during a track day on Barber?

2.) Which track in the US is the fastest, with the longest straight sections?

3.) How long is the longest straight section in (2) above?

3.) With a track such as Barber, is there really any advantage in riding anything bigger than a 600/750, as the sections look so short?

4.) Do they allow motards on any of these tracks? (With street tires on my Husky, I feel a lot faster in some of the Western NC twisties (especially the switch backs), than with the Busa, including some nice rear slides.):laugh:

5.) Typically, how many riders on the track at the same time for the novice group?

Hey JellyRug:

1. I cant answer the Barber track question about top speeds... But Vir... depending the course set setup. North Course over 155 mph+ on a 1k up. South Course 155+ too. Full course and grand course follow the same top speed too. The Patriot Course under 110 to 120....not sure never rode it but small. Roebling Road 155+ too. Sunmmit Point Main course 150+.

2. That I dont know.

3a. I dont know.

3b. Yes the hp to get around other riders who hold you up in turns on lower powered bikes and hp to go around on the straights to open the track up for you. But its a trade off. 600/750 teach you how to carry more speed in and out of corners more easily then a liter bike. It is a different animal in my opinion! Both can be ridden fast, the 600/750's are easier on tires, more flickable, and open up more racing options in different racing groups then the 1k currently.

4.Yes but need more then 80% tread to ride a track day. Recommend a good sticky though!
5. I have seen about 30. But they split you up 5 riders to 1 control rider. If you really are better then the novice group.... get with a control rider to ride with for a few sessions and hope he bumps you to the next class. Sometimes it happens in that day. or the next time you are out with them. Just remember the control rider you were with and hope in 2 sessions you get bumped up. I almost did, but got with a control rider to late in the day to make my move from I group to A group!

Any ?'s call Pm me!

It's been a loooong time, when I was still young and brave, and it was in a different country on the Kyalami GP track, when it still had a nice long straight. So, I really know nothing and have a lot of questions. Don't laugh OK.:rulez:

1.) What type of top speeds with a 1k bike during a track day on Barber? 140ish
2.) Which track in the US is the fastest, with the longest straight sections?

3.) How long is the longest straight section in (2) above?

3.) With a track such as Barber, is there really any advantage in riding anything bigger than a 600/750, as the sections look so short? Our friend Kevin hit 1:40 yesterday on his 600. I think the Advanced riders are in the 1:30's with 1000s. Spies holds the record at barber at 1:23 on a 1k, so yes and no, depends on the rider IMO

4.) Do they allow motards on any of these tracks? (With street tires on my Husky, I feel a lot faster in some of the Western NC twisties (especially the switch backs), than with the Busa, including some nice rear slides.):laugh: yes motards run at barber

5.) Typically, how many riders on the track at the same time for the novice group? 45 rider slots for each class with STT @ Barber

Hope this helps

Last edited:
1. 140 if you are really scary in Advanced - otherwise I'd say average is 120's.

2. In the South, Road Atlanta (go search youtube video's i've seen 192 indicated). The back straight is long enough to reach top end and still have time to slow back down without danger. Don't know exact length but go check youtube.

3. Totally depends on the rider. A 1K will help cover the rider's inadequacies (point and shoot vs. maintaining momenteum thru the turns). A 600 will probably make you a better rider, but you'll want to go larger when you master it, so it's personal choice. One of my coaches runs a 750 believes it splits the two perfectly.

4. Yes

5. 45 (but is sure thins out in the afternoons :)

Keith, it thins out in the afternoons because everyone is freaking delirious, sore, tired, whipped, soaked in sweat, tired, delirious, tired, sore and..... well.... you get it.

I can barely walk today! Oh, and I HATE hotel snoozes. I should'a slept in a tent at the track!

Keith, it thins out in the afternoons because everyone is freaking delirious, sore, tired, whipped, soaked in sweat, tired, delirious, tired, sore and..... well.... you get it.

I can barely walk today! Oh, and I HATE hotel snoozes. I should'a slept in a tent at the track!

Randy I have to agree with you! After my 500 mile drive to and from the track and also riding 170 miles at the track! I was sore for 2 1/2 days. I felt like some one beat the crap out of me! But it was worth it! Yes the track seems to thin out later int he day too due to what you stated above!

Randy I have to agree with you! After my 500 mile drive to and from the track and also riding 170 miles at the track! I was sore for 2 1/2 days. I felt like some one beat the crap out of me! But it was worth it! Yes the track seems to thin out later int he day too due to what you stated above!

Amen bro!
I am walking around today like I played the San Diego Chargers all weekend. But ya know what?
I'd do it again this weekend, if my wife had the money to support my madness!

Last edited:
Amen bro!
I am walking around today like I played the San Diego Chargers all weekend. But ya know what?
I'd do it again this weekend, if my wife had the money to support my madness!

:rofl: I think I am pretty fit, and running with a few control riders who are faster and older then me... I was wonder if they feel like this running all weekend? My bi's, my tri's, my forearms, my pec's, my lats, my lower back, my ab's, my quads, my inner thighs, and my calves where letting me know I have used them and then some. The next day at work everyone asked if I had gone down by the way I moving... I said NO! I had a great track day and rode every session, and just plain wore myself out having and big :laugh: on my doing it! And again I, like you would do it again! But I am done for this year. Got hand surgery next week to fix the serve carpal tunnel I have been dealing with for the past few years! Still good times to be had next year!:beerchug:

I'm done for now too.. I think 1:57 @ Barbers is pretty good for my first time at a track and for being on the biggest, heaviest sport bike around!

Besides, gotta save for a REAL track bike now.. anyone know where I can find a good deal on a 1k?:whistle:

Last edited:
Actually, I heard about a bike shop up there that has a bunch of Gixxers at some great prices, Like a decent 08 1k for under 6K....

I'm sore too, but man do I have a big smile on my face today!

Back