how I get my throttle cable off the grip

frisbee

GODSPEED RACING
Donating Member
Registered
I got new grips but how do you get the cable off the old one and on the new one . I got the housing open and loosened the cable but can't get it off all the way.

You may have to pull the other end of the pulley at the TB to give yourself the slack you need...

I got new grips but how do you get the cable off the old one and on the new one . I got the housing open and loosened the cable but can't get it off all the way.

Are changing the grip only? Or the throttle tube and grip

I was also thinking that you may have to back off the nuts on the throttle cables at the throttle bodies to get enough slack to clear the cam portion of the grip.

I'm changing the grip and tube . the new grip is all one piece. I loosened the cable at the adjusters , but didn't think about the curved tube where the cable attaches to the housing . Maybe that will give me enough play

you should not have to.

just loosen the throttle cable adjuster.
you should be able to twist the grip forward or backward to let the ends of the cables pop out of their mount.

I'm changing the grip and tube . the new grip is all one piece.

Actually it's not. I'm on my third set of grips and never had the throttle tube off the bike.
Just get aftermarket grips, cut the OEMs off, use a Dremel to grind down the excess ridges on the plastic throttle tube, and glue the new grips on.:thumbsup:

Actually it's not. I'm on my third set of grips and never had the throttle tube off the bike.
Just get aftermarket grips, cut the OEMs off, use a Dremel to grind down the excess ridges on the plastic throttle tube, and glue the new grips on.:thumbsup:

I know what you mean but these are billet aluminum grips . you have to remove the tube assembly , i just can't get enough play in the cable to get the old tube off .

well.. if you dont need the old tube cut the plastic that holds the cable ends?

Just remembering what i did.

1-take off Bar end.
2- unbolt plate that holds the throttle cable under the switch housing.
3-take off 2 screws under the switch housing = opens up like a clam shell so you can see the ends of the throttle cable.
4- loosen up the cable adjuster
5- You should be able to unhook the ends of the throttle cable one by one
either turn the throttle tube forward or backward to give either one of the end slack.

make sure that you are actually loosening the throttle adjuster.

if that doesnt work..

let me know, i'll take mine apart :laugh:

I know what you mean but these are billet aluminum grips . you have to remove the tube assembly , i just can't get enough play in the cable to get the old tube off .

Have you ran adjusters under the tank to all the way loose? You have to get ALL the slack that you can to get the tube off. Run both of them all the way in, and same on the ones on the throttle asembly, and you should have plenty of slack to work with.
When your done, tak the majority of the cable slack out whith the under tank adjusters, and fine tune with the ones at the throttle.

Back