Lift the Restriction ??????

DEMMYM

Donating Member
Registered
So do you think they will lift the speed restriction on the sport bikes.

I know back in 2001 they placed the speed restriction on the bikes. But now with all the competitors coming up too meet the Hayabusa's speed if your restricted to a certain speed how can anyone have the fastest bike.

Let them run boys LET THEM RUN UNRESTRICTED and build them to be the fastest they can be.

Im not really sure why they havent lifted it, i agree let the top dog race begin again. It will only make a better product and help sales of the companies. That, and we need somethiing new to argue with Kawi guys about.

:rofl:I'm all for it, but it'll never happen. We live in politically correct safety land!:rofl: If anything, we'll see more electronic restrictions/limiters.

Im not really sure why they havent lifted it, i agree let the top dog race begin again. It will only make a better product and help sales of the companies. That, and we need somethiing new to argue with Kawi guys about.

Yep when there that close together who knows, You hear now its the rider, He who has the Bigger Set will win a race.

I want to be able to say I ride the fastest bike made without someone saying, Well I heard

Yep when there that close together who knows, You hear now its the rider, He who has the Bigger Set will win a race.

I want to be able to say I ride the fastest bike made without someone saying, Well I heard

It always has and always will be, the rider.

It's a self imposed restriction isn't it ?
Lots of cars sold that will do faster than 186 on our highways aren't there ?

It's a self imposed restriction isn't it ?
Lots of cars sold that will do faster than 186 on our highways aren't there ?

As far as I know it is. But can't you imagine the stink the media would make out of lifting the ban? Aren't sportbikes dangerous enough?:laugh:
Fastfrog said it best, 186 is safe, but 190 is dangerous!:rofl:

Pretty easy to get around the restriction isn't it? TRE or something like that?
Probably a lot easier than it would be getting around the insurance companies saying screw it, and refusing to cover anything with 2 wheels making over 100 HP.
Besides, that extra 5 mph you might get from derestriction would only count in the boring states. The rest of us have these things called "corners" to amuse ourselves with, without having to worry about 6th gear restrictions.:laugh:

Restriction wasn't placed by the Gov agencies was it. Wasn't it a back room deal amongst manufacturers ??? Not really sure but I hope it stays. Busa record will remain

FOREVER!!!!!

Restriction wasn't placed by the Gov agencies was it. Wasn't it a back room deal amongst manufacturers ???

It was. A "gentleman's agreement" amongst them, as a move to keep the insurance and government agencies from stepping in and placing much harsher restrictions. A lesson learned from the fate of late 60's and early 70's muscle cars.

it was the big 4 that got together... The govt was having discussions on having limitations on sport bikes, the 4 Suzuki, Kawi, Yama and Honda had an agreement on the 186. You tell me would you rather have a restriction imposed at 186 or by the federal govt... In my opinion the big 4 stopped the feds in their track by imposing those limits. If the feds had imposed a restriction you can bet your life it would have been a lot slower than 186.... While your arguments are legit that 190 isnt any more unsafe than 186 the fact that there is a limit I think helps to fend off the govt from coming in to limit the bike at 125.....

cap

Isn't it all silly in the first place? Any Busa owner that is concerned about top speed is an aftermarket ho anyways, right? It takes so little effort to bypass restriction AND/OR gain an addl 10-30 hp (30 shot, cams, compression, injection tuning, on and on) that....any restriction is no more an obstruction than a warning decal. It's really easy, just have a discussion with one of our sponsors!

Last edited:
it was the big 4 that got together... The govt was having discussions on having limitations on sport bikes, the 4 Suzuki, Kawi, Yama and Honda had an agreement on the 186. You tell me would you rather have a restriction imposed at 186 or by the federal govt... In my opinion the big 4 stopped the feds in their track by imposing those limits. If the feds had imposed a restriction you can bet your life it would have been a lot slower than 186.... While your arguments are legit that 190 isnt any more unsafe than 186 the fact that there is a limit I think helps to fend off the govt from coming in to limit the bike at 125.....

cap

Which brings up another good question.

Where did they come up with 186mph as the limit. Why not 180 or or 190. just an odd number to stop at.

Back