Oil leak out exhaust on velocity stage one

CPR_MCOCHRAN

Registered
I know i have been blowing up the boards here recently and I appreciate all you guys feed back for sure. I finally got everything mounted up and started the bike up just to idle and make sure it would run before taking it to the dyno tomorrow. With in a few mins i had heavy smoke out the turbo exhaust followed by oil leaking out the exhaust. I did use the oil block offs and took out the restrictor behind the oil filter. I have read some posts where having the bike on a rear stand can cause oil leaks, but didn't really read about them out the exhaust. Supposedly the turbo had just been rebuilt and had about 30 miles on it before being pulled for a stage 2 unit. Any idea's? Is the seals bad or am i just a noob and shouldn't be running the bike while on the rear stand?

Matt

Make sure your breather in the back of the engine is free, if that is plugged or restricted the oil can't flow back into the motor from the turbo. The oil will have no place to go except out the exhaust.

i'll lower bike, pull air filter from crank case vent, clean up what i can get and give it another at idle run. Thanks for the input bud! I'm supposed to go to dyno in the morning and was feeling a little sick to the stomach seeing oil come out the exhaust.

Most of the time when turbo bikes are left on the rear stand the oil level is pushed way above the center shaft of the turbo and will start to seep through the journals and smoke for a little while. It usually clears up after one small boost pull.

It went away as soon as i got it on the ground. I cleaned it up and let it idle for a bit. no blowing of smoke and oil. just a little puff of gas smoke due to the rich condition. Thank you guys again, hopefully that is all it was and i can get some dyno tuning done tomorrow.

get it nice and hot to burn the leftover oil out of the exhaust side. let it cool off before you shut down tho. congrats on going boosted.

268 on 93 octane pump gas. Flashed FMU and took 9 degree's out to reduce chance of detonation. Tried with some C19 race fuel, different boost settings, richer, leaner, nothing really changed the numbers that much.

Attachments

• mattturbopulls.pdf
    28.6 KB · Views: 318
wierd. how much extra boost on c19? you should've been able to run another few lbs with the extra octane. which turbo? any headwork? seems like you've hit a cieling, but i thought a busa with a factory top end can make more hp than that.

it is a velocity stage 1, stock engine, with S2000 36lbs injectors. I think my issue is in the boost controllor. We changed it in both directions and it made no difference. The higer octane should have actually lost a couple HP on the same boost because of the rate of burn, but we didn't see that reaction at all. Stock compenents should be good up to 300 hp on race gas. My velocity has a internal wastegate and I think it pretty much gives what it gives and i could probably do away with the dual boost controller setup until i run a extenal waste gate setup.

268 on 93 octane pump gas. Flashed FMU and took 9 degree's out to reduce chance of detonation. Tried with some C19 race fuel, different boost settings, richer, leaner, nothing really changed the numbers that much.

You are pulling too much timing out! You should never pull out more than 7 degrees to start with, and with your bike, pulling out 4 degrees would be plenty. If you wanted to be extra cautious, 6 degrees would be the max on a Stage One . . .:rulez:

Last edited:
Back