Throttlemeister

rdj6107

Registered
can any body comment on this item. i saw them and the eyebrow went up. HOWEVER, a little leary on them possibly getting stuck or even giving a little to much gas??????????

I have had 3 sets so far and they are great. You can still move the throttle it just helps to hold it... but it is not locked in place.

This is what I use on my bike. It's nice to have for long freeway hauls and quickly removable. It's nice to be able to just rest your palm on it for control. (gives your fingers a little break) yeah yeah... pure laziness I know. :whistle:

images.jpeg

TM's are great customers love them and buy them for all their road bikes they ride extensively,many sets in stock lmk.

This is what I use on my bike. It's nice to have for long freeway hauls and quickly removable. It's nice to be able to just rest your palm on it for control. (gives your fingers a little break) yeah yeah... pure laziness I know. :whistle:

I recognize that picture. :laugh: Here's the original. I was trying out all three.

I've got about 100,000 miles of riding on mine. :thumbsup:

throttle1-640.jpg

throttle1-640.jpg

The Throttlemeister works by providing friction against the outer edge of the throttle-sleeve, keeping the sleeve from turning on its own. It's 'smooth', metal-to-rubber flat-surfaces contact with nothing to get stuck, or locked hard, i.e., you can always overcome it by twisting the throttle grip. To your questions of providing a 'little too much gas', since it's passive, it won't increase the 'gas' unless you make it do so. As for getting stuck such that you can't turn the throttle, you wouldn't be able to twist the throttle in the first place, before you'd get to that point.

You twist the Throttlemeister to engage it. Then, you twist it the opposite direction to disengage. When engaged, the mechanism applies enough pressure to the outside edge of the throttle sleeve to overcome the return spring's force, thus holding the throttle in a fixed position. On a steadily inclined (effecitvely 'flat') roadway, you'll make occassional, small twisting adjustments to throttle position to hold a steady speed. These adjust for slight variations in wind and/or surface inclination. More pronounced inclination deltas will call for greater adjustments. You won't use this in town, on surface streets, nor in heavy traffic (at least, I don't). It's more for the open road, of course.

You're provided a number of washers of various thicknesses with the installation kit. You mix-and-match these washers, through trial and error, to adjust the tolerance of the Throttlemeister such that, when it's disengaged the throttle turns easily, but when it's engaged, the throttle is harder to turn--and won't turn by itself. You want to adjust it to 'just' allow the throttle to turn freely, when disengaged.

In my case, on very cold days (25* F ambient, or less) and when moving at 70 MPH, the Throttlemeister 'slips', i.e., won't hold the throttle position. I assume this is because in such cold temperatures, everything contracts and the Throttlemeister doesn't apply as much force against the end of the throttle sleeve as it does when things are warmer. This is not really an issue because even in this state, the Throttlemeister applies enough friction against the throttle the slow-down is very gradual, allowing me to remove my hand from the throttle to rest it. I mention this to point up the fact that temperature will have an affect on the T-Meister's tolerances, and so its adjustment. I live in the desert (temps vary from 110*F in summer to 17* F in winter). I have a 'summer' adjustement (set of washers) and a 'winter' adjustment (a different set of washers). If the climate in your area is not so extreme as this, you could reasonably have a single adjustment that works year-round.

I literally couldn't ride my bike long distances without the Throttlemeister, and the 'rest' it affords my right hand. I've had them on several of my bikes, and anymore, it's one of the first things I buy for any bike I own that doesn't have an integrated cruise-control.

alan

LOVE 'EM!! As far as I'm concerned, they are a necessary mod for long distance sport touring. As stated above--no worry of "sticking". In short--GET 'EM, you'll love 'em!:thumbsup:

Throttlemeister: Proud Stampede Sponsor

Can't go wrong, bro! :beerchug:

One of two solid brands to hold your throttle at a certain position. Have them on every bike I've had because I use them all to do some distance rides. I wouldn't be without them.The only thing I would caution you on is that if you use electric grips be aware that if you have a two position rheostat (hi/lo) for the temperature setting and if you put the Throttlemeister on and then at some point it gets cold and you turn your electric grips on to Hi position the grips will swell with the heat and COULD effectively "lock" the Throttlemeister if you had the setting pretty tight before the electric was turned on. My advice is that if you're going to use heated grips back off or better yet twist off the Throttlemeister until the grips get warmed up then twist it back on and reset. Wardie

I would love to have one, However no one has been able to figure out how to make one with Spiked Ends. :banghead:

However I have a guy working on it. :cheerleader:

Back