Hitachi Drills

shadetree57

Registered
I'm looking at buying a new cordless drill and Lowes has a Hitachi 18v Lithium ion on sale for 139.00. Comes with 2 batterys and a flashlight. Do any of you have one? I've always had Dewalt and don't know much about Hitachi. Just wondered how good they were. 10 year warrenty. Thanks for any replies.

If that warranty covers the batteries, that a GREAT deal.

Batteries went dead on my porter-cable drill and cheapest replacements were around $65 each. And I had 2 batteries.:unhappy:

I have a Makita Li-On and it's comparable to the Hitachi even though it's about twice as expensive. That's a good deal on a good drill...

I've heard that Hitachi has good stuff, never used 'em personally. On a side note, you may want to check out the Rigid line at Home Depot. I don't know if they're still offering it, but at one time, they had a lifetime warranty that ALSO COVERED the batteries!

sounds like a good deal, I personally use dewalt tho, if that warranty does cover the bat's, then its a very good deal...

my first was Dewalt, second was Makita, third was Hitachi, Fourth is Dewalt,and fifth will be Dewalt. My least favorite was the Hitachi. All were 18 volt but the Hitachi had the least power and died the quickest.

I have lots of their tools and they are well built... But, let me steer you in another direction for the home mechanic!
Spend $159 and get the PORTER-CABLE 4-Piece 18-Volt NiCd Cordless Combo Kit from Lowes... This thing is awesome and works better than advertised. My Brother told me about these so I bought one when I was looking to replace my Dewalt stuff... I've never looked back, great product, Great price!

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...tId=36099-79992-PC418C-2&detail=cr&lpage=none

Last edited:
HArd to go wrong with porter cable or DeWalt, i think. ALL my cordless tools are DeWalt, and most of my corded stuff is DeWalt as well. Hitachi, from all i have heard, isnt bad...

Most all my stuff now is Dewalt and i've never had a problem other than the Batteries. I was just trying to be a little conservative with the way the times are now. Thanks for all you'alls answers.

I have a Hitachi corded drill and it's great. No problems at all. My grandpa has one of their cordless models and he's been very happy with it too. It's the only drill I've ever owned, so it's difficult to make much of a comparison.

i have the dewalt 18v cordless and i believe it's about $40 more. i've haven't heard much about the hitachi but i can say the dewalt holds up real well after 5yrs of abuse as a "home audio installer".

Did you check out that $159 set-up?
I did check it out but really don't need all the other stuff with the set. I pretty much have all I need except a drill. My son amd I started building a room in my shop last night and had to swap over to an electric drill when my battery died on my Dewalt. I hate to use an electric drill for driving screws. I'm not going to buy anything before I check out all the brands a little closer. Thanks KS.

Back