Opins on the AMA Pro series? (DMG)

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
well all the fury when DMG took the reigns... any opinions or insights now that they have the season going and Daytona out of the way?

I see the factory guys (Honda, Suzuki) are back at least..

Not a fan - rolling starts, Buell 1125 competing w/ 600s ... I used to watch every race. I will just stick to MotoGP & The Ben Spies show WSBK.

Not a fan - rolling starts, Buell 1125 competing w/ 600s ... I used to watch every race. I will just stick to MotoGP & The Ben Spies show WSBK.

That is so good....and representative of my thoughts as well! Raydog

Maybe the death of professional team/facory sponsored road racing but will prove to be a boon to amateur racing. A more level field but hey manny of you (and me too) have raced or even could still be competitive so why pay to see that. I agree my money is on WSBK and Indy Moto GP. Wardie

If this KILLS the Factory then DMG will be OUT ! It's all about $$$$$ and that means TV $$$$$ . So, if it becomes a nice CLUB RACE (which means no TV watchers) then I give it another 2 years. And how they can justify a 1200 cc Twin running over 150 hp and 85 lbs of torque competing with 600cc bikes is WAY beyond me. Other than just wanting a Harley racing and being able to compete. I just wonder how they eliminated the 1198 or 1098 Duc in their mix, although that would REALLY be unfair :beerchug:

If this KILLS the Factory then DMG will be OUT ! It's all about $$$$$ and that means TV $$$$$ . So, if it becomes a nice CLUB RACE (which means no TV watchers) then I give it another 2 years. And how they can justify a 1200 cc Twin running over 150 hp and 85 lbs of torque competing with 600cc bikes is WAY beyond me. Other than just wanting a Harley racing and being able to compete. I just wonder how they eliminated the 1198 or 1098 Duc in their mix, although that would REALLY be unfair :beerchug:

What's funny is, we went out to Infineon recently to watch the AMA races and some of the 600's ran RIGHT WITH the big twin! Doyle

After the first couple races they added weight to the twins to even the power to weight ratio.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaCol. when you see Speed carrying races that are almost 2 weeks old I don't think the TV money is anywhere near what it was just a couple years ago. Remember two wheel Tuesday with Greg White, American thunder with Michelle Smith and a host of other bike shows. We are past the TV heyday until the economy changes. Motorcycle racing takes a back seat to just about any 4 wheel racing in TV's eyes. That's just the way it is right now. If the factories pull all together then the purses will be almost nothing so it will revert back to way more amateur racing grass root level. Just my opinion. Wardie

I keep hearing that I really never paid to much attention to AMA are they really racing 1K against 600's doesn't sound like much of a race???

Lamb loves the rolling start. Great tight racing for the first 5-7 laps without the drama of a missed start or crazy overtaking moves going into the first corner messing up the race. The racing has been good. Now that the Buell has been given more weight and it's more closely competitive, the racing has been good. Lamb swears some of the most outspoken here don't watch the races. They have been more competitive than in the past with the lead being swapped back and forth for multiple laps past the half way mark.
Relax about the sanctioning bodies and enjoy the races. What do you, joe public, care about who runs these events? Lamb could care less. All he wants is competitive racing for multiple laps, and that has happened much more than in the past in this support series.
Later
Lamb

Lamb loves the rolling start. Great tight racing for the first 5-7 laps without the drama of a missed start or crazy overtaking moves going into the first corner messing up the race. The racing has been good. Now that the Buell has been given more weight and it's more closely competitive, the racing has been good. Lamb swears some of the most outspoken here don't watch the races. They have been more competitive than in the past with the lead being swapped back and forth for multiple laps past the half way mark.
Relax about the sanctioning bodies and enjoy the races. What do you, joe public, care about who runs these events? Lamb could care less. All he wants is competitive racing for multiple laps, and that has happened much more than in the past in this support series.
Later
Lamb
this is what I have heard from a few that condemned the program last year... competitive is the key I hope.. I barely know the names of the guys that do this for a living and have to guess that most are like me, heard of the big guys and love to watch any racing that is "competitive"

Just was not sure if that was coming true yet or not... I have watched a couple races this year and starting to enjoy it more now that I have some track time and some kind of idea just how hard it really is...

I truly respect the opins of you guys that know the racing so intimately.. I am just hoping they can make this a bit more "viewer friendly" so guys like me can get interested..

Drama aside, do you think they have improved the playing field?

Last edited:
The playing field has improved. There is always the haves and have nots but Lamb is enjoying the racing, for the most part. At tracks like Barber it is hard to tell because the course lends itself to spread out racing, for example.

We'll have a first hand look at how close and good the racing is at Honda Super Bike Week this weekend at Mid Ohio. I'll try and take some pics. Anyone going let me know and maybe we can meet up.

DaCol. when you see Speed carrying races that are almost 2 weeks old I don't think the TV money is anywhere near what it was just a couple years ago. Remember two wheel Tuesday with Greg White, American thunder with Michelle Smith and a host of other bike shows. We are past the TV heyday until the economy changes. Motorcycle racing takes a back seat to just about any 4 wheel racing in TV's eyes. That's just the way it is right now. If the factories pull all together then the purses will be almost nothing so it will revert back to way more amateur racing grass root level. Just my opinion. Wardie

Exactly, that's why I hate to think real factory racing is about over here in the States. Sure, there's a place for Club Racing and it can be great racing. But, the BIG Show has been and ALWAYS will be the Big Boys fighting it out among themselves. Which brings up, "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday". But if NO ONE knows you won on Sunday, there's no reason to put the Big $$$$ into racing here :beerchug:

DaCol. when you see Speed carrying races that are almost 2 weeks old

think their changing that, I was watching the laguna saca race and they said they are going back to same day covarage. and yes this was sunday the day of the races.

My main gripe has been having to wait to watch the race. It sounds like that has been addressed. I have watched most of the races. Most of them have been great close races. This year has been ruff for AMA racing. I am hoping they can tweak some things and steadily improve over the next few years. I am in the minority and actually enjoy seeing the Buells out there.

think their changing that, I was watching the laguna saca race and they said they are going back to same day covarage. and yes this was sunday the day of the races.

Yeah, same day or kinda ! 11 PM Sat and Sunday Nights (Centeral time), BUT as you say, the same day :laugh:

Back