question for the tank bag users out there

hemi

Registered
picked up a new tank bag this weekend, the cortech super 14 liter. I had a smaller cortech but wanted something a little bigger. You guys runnin tank bags, has the bag ever scratched or worn down the paint where it magnets to it, just curious if it will damage the paint in the long run

Yes, just slightly, scratched the paint, and I wax after every ride.

Yes it will scratch or dull the paint.. I put the 3m clear cover under and the areas covered are not scratched. You'll have to do something especially if you plan to run it constantly.

I have done loads of miles on my wee ninja and not a mark on the paint :thumbsup:

Just cut the stuff to the shape of ypour bag :thumbsup:

DSC02175.jpg

DSC02176.jpg

Lamb runs the same bag and has never had a problem with the tank dulling. Bought the bag with the bike in dec. 2004. Daily commuter with a 8 pound lunch loaded in there everyday. It doesn't scratch because it doesn't move. Lamb repeats, it doesn't scratch because it doesn't move. When taking the bag off, just lift the 2 side flaps and raise it straight up. VOILA! easy peasy, nice and easy. Later

Last edited:
I just pulled my bagster tank protector off after 25,000 miles.. not a rub, blemish or other issue... I run my tank bag most of the time and could not be happier...

I just pulled my bagster tank protector off after 25,000 miles.. not a rub, blemish or other issue... I run my tank bag most of the time and could not be happier...
That's good to hear. I've been waiting on mine for about a month now. Supposed to be on its way now.

I ran that same bag for about 3 months, No marks at all. just as lamb mentioned. Lift magnet flaps off of tank. Never just grab the handle and tear it away off of the tank. Also I was very careful before putting it on that I visually checked the foam with the magnets in it for debris.

Remember the worst thing to scratch the tank is going to be a piece of small metal that could be on the foam side sitting on the magnet. I never had a problem but eventually got a SW-Motech Ring system with a bags connection bag.

Never had an issue with mine. i use alpinestars and the magnetic bit and well the whole underneath is very smooth and never had an issue. but as Greenbean mentioned, watch out for metal scraps sitting on the magnets!

controversial topic alert.......

.02.... There can never be any dirt or other items with substantially unforgiving edges between the two surfaces or scratches and/or dulling will occur. And the bags must stay in one place or else a consequece may be in order.

I run blue painters tape between my paint and tank or tail bags if I am going to leave them installed for any length of time. I'm not surprised if a dull spot shows up after use. Although spots harm my perception immensly - I doubt they ever factor in to influence the real resale value of the scoot. my .02..

Thats why I have the SW-Motech ring system with the smaller bag on it. And whats reallly nice is when I am running around on short trips and not needing the bag at all. I rest my left forearm on the ring system over my cap. It's a great left arm rest and you never touch your paint.

Another awesome feature of the SW-Motech system is you can move the bag forward or backwards before you make the four holes and secure it to the mounting system. And I have heard of guys using the ring system and installing it into the floor of say a Cortech bag also.
:thumbsup:

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

Last edited:
This is pobably the most important factor.
There can never be any dirt or other items with substantially unforgiving edges between the two surfaces or scratches and/or dulling will occur. And the bags must stay in one place or else a consequece may be in order.

Also keep the bag as secure as possible so it can't slide/shift around on top of the tank. I would only take my tank bag off on weekends and that was to inspect it for any FOD and then to check the tanks finish and rewax when necessary. I commuted like this for over a year and never had any dull/scratch marks.

controversial topic alert.......

.02.... There can never be any dirt or other items with substantially unforgiving edges between the two surfaces or scratches and/or dulling will occur. And the bags must stay in one place or else a consequece may be in order.
I was going to say the same thing but chose to dance clear of the potential e-argument, LOL.

Back