Anyone ever ridden a CBR1100XX ?

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
I saw one of these for the first time yesterday down in Suches at the top of Blood Mountain. Why did Honda stop making these? It was quite a looker and the writes ups on it are great.

Anyone have any experience with them?

For a reminder pic...

Honda_CBR_1100_XX_silver_vr.jpg

Member Honda Jon sports one of these and is quite lethal in the twisties and straight aways! They are some pretty nice rides for sure.. Oh, and though they didn't bring them to the states they did continue them for a time across the pond.

Local guy here used to ride two of them, one stock and the other Turbo, Like 250 plus rear wheel I thought,

he had a NO2 CBR900RR when I first met hiim, then a ZX11 with texas Turbo kit, He said he loves the Blackbirds the most.

The blackbird was the bike until the buss came along. One of my
Good buddies has one and it flies.
Posted via Mobile Device

They were awesome bikes before the Busa came along, ripped it wings off, plucked its eyeballs out and feasted heartily on its tattered remains. Good bike though.

Never rode one but I always wanted one until I got my Busa. I'll never understand why Honda quit making them over here after 2003. At least it looks like it will a decent successor now with the 1200cc VFR coming in 2010.

Never rode one but I always wanted one until I got my Busa. I'll never understand why Honda quit making them over here after 2003. At least it looks like it will a decent successor now with the 1200cc VFR coming in 2010.

You do understand why they were discontinued friend. You said it in your initial paragraph. Say it with me...BBB...bu...sa! :poke:

Thought about getting one before the Busa, but the funniest thing kept me away - the seat! Just don't like the way it looks and didn't know enough about aftermarket stuff then. :laugh:

+1 on the seat.

I ride alone, so I'd rather have something useful back there. :whistle:

Busa= Blackbird killer!!!! :poke:

Ding, Ding, Ding,...... winner, winner, chicken dinner. Suzuki was very um..... slick with this one; at the time the Busa came out, the Blackbird was king. Well they release a bike to take out the Blackbird and call it Hayabusa. For those that don't know, Hayabusa means Peregrine Falcon............ which is a natural predator of the blackbird.:laugh:

Ding, Ding, Ding,...... winner, winner, chicken dinner. Suzuki was very um..... slick with this one; at the time the Busa came out, the Blackbird was king. Well they release a bike to take out the Blackbird and call it Hayabusa. For those that don't know, Hayabusa means Peregrine Falcon............ which is a natural predator of the blackbird.:laugh:
There was an article I think it was in Sport Rider magazine probably sometime last year when they were talking about the Hayabusa snacking on Blackbirds. Then it says "take that, Honda".

You beat me to it, i was gonna tell that story. I love it, Suzuki givin the finger to Honda:rofl:

I owned 2, a 99 and a 02. Very nice bike. Had the 02 and my 06 Busa at the same time. More aftermarket parts for the busa than the CBRXX.

The 97 was my first sport bike. Sadly it went to Blackbird heaven a few years ago. Now I have the 06 Busa. I do miss my Bird!.

Bike.JPG

I bought a brand new 99 Blackbird (black) in August 1999 just as the hype over the new busa started up. Maybe not typical to all of them, but my CBR1100XX and a few more I heard about were notorious for over heating in slow moving in town traffic. Mine would peg on the high side even with the fan running full out and I found myself always looking for ways to avoid stop in go in town traffic. One nice feature I liked though was that you could raise the stock grips almost 3/4 of an inch rather than forking out the cash for heli-bars.

Last edited:

somehow I doubt a 1200 V-4 from ultra conservitive honda is going to keep
up with the Busa or a 14.

I'm sure quality will be first class and smooth as all get out but a barn burner
busa/14 killer...nah.

If it is just more than another rumor, they outght to stick that motor in their
outdated underpowered ST1300

Back