dealer found the problem with my bike today

hemi

Registered
been havin starting issues with my new busa since a week after i bought it. Did some research and had a pretty strong feeling it was the rectifier that wasn't charging the bike back up. Dealer had my bike for 4 days and finally found out the rectifier was melted a little on the backside and smelled like burnt electric. If they would have listened to me, i told them right when i dropped it off that it was the rectifier. Now they have no idea how long it will take to get. I was gonna just order one before i took it to them, wish i would have, it would be fixed right now. No riding for me this holiday weekend, man this really, really sucks!!

What were the symptoms my 08 is acting up too. All the lights come on but when you hit the starter nothing happens... doesnt occur all the time but enough to catch your attention.. Keep mashing the start button and wigling it and it finally starts?

What were the symptoms my 08 is acting up too. All the lights come on but when you hit the starter nothing happens... doesnt occur all the time but enough to catch your attention.. Keep mashing the start button and wigling it and it finally starts?

Just a Grease Monkey's opinion here, but your problem Capt sounds like a bad starter switch or even just a loose or bad connection somewhere. Maybe check your starter relay & wires, its on the left side of the bike right behind the rear seat(you'll have to remove your tail section i believe??). Also check batt term connections too. Seeings how your lights stay on, and if there bright......I doubt you have a charging problem. :beerchug:

That really sucks that you're having issues with a new bike. Hope that it is the rectifier and not anything more.

Just a Grease Monkey's opinion here, but your problem Capt sounds like a bad starter switch or even just a loose or bad connection somewhere. Maybe check your starter relay & wires, its on the left side of the bike right behind the rear seat(you'll have to remove your tail section i believe??). Also check batt term connections too. Seeings how your lights stay on, and if there bright......I doubt you have a charging problem. :beerchug:

It may have something to do with the clutch switch too, make sure the lever is making good contact with the switch at start up. I had this problem with mine... just a thought!:beerchug:

well it started acting up a week after i had the bike. At first, i would be riding for around an hour or a little more, got the bike home and it would act very sluggish starting up. It would barely crank a few times and then just quit. So the first few times i just let it cool down for 30 minutes or so and it would start normally. A few weeks later it started doing it about every couple days, no matter how long i was on the bike. Charged the battery a few times thinking maybe the battery just needed a couple charges. After that i started reading on the forums and figured it was something in the charging system, so i charged the batt fully and monitored the voltage for a few days, finding out the battery was not being charged at all while i was riding. I was pretty lucky i didn't get stranded an hour away from home or something

actually, i called them today and asked them about that recall, and if there were any other recalls since my bike will be there for a week. He said he had already checked it for recalls and it didn't have any, do all the 08's have the ignition recall, or is it vin # specific

was browsing through that link, i'm pretty sure i bought my bike after the recall/tsb was released, so the dealership i bought it from should have fixed it while the bike was on the showroom floor

was browsing through that link, i'm pretty sure i bought my bike after the recall/tsb was released, so the dealership i bought it from should have fixed it while the bike was on the showroom floor
good to hear they finally figured it out. they should of gave you a free oil change for guessing the problem right of the bat.

Makes sense>>>:beerchug: Also if they fixed it -it will have a punch mark (dot) prior to vin.

Last edited:
i'll have to call again this week and ask if the clutch recall needs done to it. I absolutely hate the fact of shops workin on my bike, but might as well get everything done if it does have recalls since the bike is there. I would hate to get it back and then a week later have to take it back to them for recalls or somethin. Good idea about the free oil change, but i don't want them changin my oil. I'm prayin they didn't have to take all the plastics off to troubleshoot it, there are a bunch of plastic fasteners/clips that i could see them breakin

That really sucks that you're having issues with a new bike. Hope that it is the rectifier and not anything more.

Yes, I'd want to know why the rectifier went bad in the first place. It might have been a bad one to start with. But?

Back