Of Dealerships and Service Depts

RatherBusa

Registered
Wasn't sure how to title this post...

A couple things...

(1) I was told by Suzuki service that the 8000 mile service was quite important for 2 reasons: (1) Spark plug replacement; (2) Throttle Valve Synchronization.

Is this true? When I actually took the bike in for the 8K mile service, the same guy told me this time the most important thing was the spark plug replacement... and the throttle valve sync came at the 12K service. Of course, when I get the bike back, neither are done. The list they hand me has checks next to work completed and lines thru work not applicable - and there was a line thru both spark plug replacement and throttle.... When asked, they told me they were out of stock on spark plugs. Instead of being upfront with me and telling me, they just didn't do it and make me figure it out. WTH? So, I get to take it back in. Are they also supposed to synch throttle valves at 8K?

(2) As some may have noticed in another thread, I got my first bike flat in 2.5 years after getting bike back from the dealership service. Upon leaving the dealership, I take the bike straight home (about 1 mile away). After about an hour I decided to ride it... thought it seemed a little low, but blew it off since it just came back from service. After another hour of riding, it definitely felt under-pressured. So, I pulled over and checked it... right at 30 psi, 11 psi lower than service receipt claimed it was pressured to. So, I aired it up to 40 and rode another couple hours. When I got home I checked it at around 30 again. Woke up this AM and it was dead flat. Couldn't find any sign of damage to the tire, did the soapy water thing around tire, bead and valve - also tightened valve stem... nothing.

Now, I am not a conspiracy theorist and I am not paranoid, but I am just not trusting the dealership right now, especially after a history of somewhat shoddy service.

Now, I get to take the bike back back tomorrow and have them charge me for a brand new tire. Ahh, look at that! Sometimes I wonder if I am being messed with.

Last edited:
Don't take your precious ride to any dealer. Instead, find boutique operations run by riders like you. That way, you are supporting local business and fellow riders. Most of shops I go to, they care about doing a good job on your bike, cuz they know you are a part of community. I doubt dealers give a sh*t about anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

And also, think about DYU. In a long run, it's definetly worth it. You are planning to ride long time, aren't you? If I can do it, so can you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Check your owners manual. I have a k8 and it shows service at 7500 miles. Replace spark plugs and inspect / adjust throttle valve synchronization. Also shows change oil.

contact KINGOFDACOAST, he's Service Manager for Suzuki City - Biloxi, MS??? sounds like you were ripped of intentionally:banghead:

Don't take your precious ride to any dealer. Instead, find boutique operations run by riders like you. That way, you are supporting local business and fellow riders. Most of shops I go to, they care about doing a good job on your bike, cuz they know you are a part of community. I doubt dealers give a sh*t about anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

You just have to find the right dealership. I live in louisiana but drive to Mississippi for service. I pass over 5 Suzuki Dealerships to get there, about a 2hour ride if traffic is ok. Find another shop, its your money:beerchug:

Don't give these shops second chances! If they act shady find another shop...:beerchug:

I'm going to take the dealership side on this one. I'm not sure what's going on with the tire, but its possible you picked up some debris. I know you didn't see anything, but the air is coming out somewhere. You need to get the bike up on a rear stand, inflate the tire and wet the entire tire while rotating it slowly looking for bubbles.

As for the 8,000 mile service. The TB sync and plugs should be done every 8,000 miles, but not totally necessary. I'd reather they not do them and get the bike back to me if they are out of stock that to have the bike sit there for another week while they wait for the plugs to get there. I would have preferred them to do the TB sync, but they didn't charge you for either of these items. Not performing and not charging you for work that isn't absolutely necessary is not intensionally ripping you off. They could have communicated what they were and weren't going to do better.

I'm going to take the dealership side on this one. I'm not sure what's going on with the tire, but its possible you picked up some debris. I know you didn't see anything, but the air is coming out somewhere. You need to get the bike up on a rear stand, inflate the tire and wet the entire tire while rotating it slowly looking for bubbles.

As for the 8,000 mile service. The TB sync and plugs should be done every 8,000 miles, but not totally necessary. I'd reather they not do them and get the bike back to me if they are out of stock that to have the bike sit there for another week while they wait for the plugs to get there. I would have preferred them to do the TB sync, but they didn't charge you for either of these items. Not performing and not charging you for work that isn't absolutely necessary is not intensionally ripping you off. They could have communicated what they were and weren't going to do better.

I hear ya, just that it's interesting that after 2.5 years of never getting a flat, I get a flat 2 hours after getting the bike home 1 mile from the dealer. I know it's coming out somewhere - that's not where my confusion lies.

I agree about the spark plugs, just that they didn't tell me they didn't do it or why they didn't do it... or make another appt to do it when they had the parts in stock. They just said here's your bike.

How again are they not charging me?

They will charge you every chance they get. That's their business model; maximize the short term profit.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hear ya, just that it's interesting that after 2.5 years of never getting a flat, I get a flat 2 hours after getting the bike home 1 mile from the dealer. I know it's coming out somewhere - that's not where my confusion lies.

I agree about the spark plugs, just that they didn't tell me they didn't do it or why they didn't do it... or make another appt to do it when they had the parts in stock. They just said here's your bike.

How again are they not charging me?

The parts and labor should be itemized on the bill. The maintenence isn't a flat single fee regardless of what they do or don't do.

The parts and labor should be itemized on the bill. The maintenence isn't a flat single fee regardless of what they do or don't do.

There's nothing itemized - I have pre-paid maintenance, so it is (was) a flat single fee.. and I expect to get my money's worth!

But, this is the kinda sh-- I'm talking about with these guys. I take the bike up to get the repair on the back tire. I ask, is this something you can do within an hour or so or should I come back. They say it'll be done in an hour.

4 hours later, I am back home, 1 mile away from the dealership.

AND... my rim is scratched up in multiple places.

The dealership just has horrible service, flat out. I have the history with them to prove it. <-- period!

So, I don't know what to do - about my rims, about future services, about my prepaid (thru 20K miles) service.

Ahh well, such is life. I'd like to get my prepaid money back and seek greener pastures. Doubtful that'll happen.

So there is some more to the story than you started out with. If you have prepaid service, then they should be doing everything according to what the owners manual has for service (doesn't matter what they say should or shouldn't be covered at a given mileage). If they have a history of horrible service, why do you keep going back?

In the future, I strongly suggest that you at least do your own rim removal when it comes time to change a tire. Take your "wheel off" rim and new tire that you will purchase on the web for much less than the stealership will rip you for, to a reputable shop for a proper mount and balance. I just did this today, it took me much longer that it would have at the dealer, but I lined all possible metal to metal contact surfaces with tape and NO scratches anywhere! And as far as spark plugs, the Owner's Manual actually has adaquate instuctions for accomplishing said task.

So there is some more to the story than you started out with. If you have prepaid service, then they should be doing everything according to what the owners manual has for service (doesn't matter what they say should or shouldn't be covered at a given mileage). If they have a history of horrible service, why do you keep going back?

Yeah sure, always more to the story. I just shared the parts of the story that I felt were relevant in conveying my thoughts at the time. I don't agree with you that it is okay to just not do the service, so long as they don't charge. You do what you say, prepaid or not.

Why do I still use them? Pre-paid service.

Last edited:
In the future, I strongly suggest that you at least do your own rim removal when it comes time to change a tire. Take your "wheel off" rim and new tire that you will purchase on the web for much less than the stealership will rip you for, to a reputable shop for a proper mount and balance. I just did this today, it took me much longer that it would have at the dealer, but I lined all possible metal to metal contact surfaces with tape and NO scratches anywhere! And as far as spark plugs, the Owner's Manual actually has adaquate instuctions for accomplishing said task.

I agree. I need to learn how. No one will do it like me... or at least if I do it, I can be comfortable knowing what I did!

I'd also like to be able to count on someone doing it right and well, especially if I pay them for that, right?

I plan to move on when possible. Thanks for the input.

I had a dealership (that I no longer use) keep my bike once for 4 weeks while waiting for a part to come in a 2 weeks another time for maintenence that wasn't absolutely needed at the time. I could have gotten both parts from sponsors here overnight, but they wouldn't install anything that wasn't purchased from them. Not doing plugs and a sync at 8,000 miles won't hurt the bike. I'd rather have the bike ot ride than have it sitting in a service department while they wait for 4 spark plugs to come on a slow boat from Japan. Now I call and make sure they have everything they will need before I take the bike in, even though the shop I use now has been good.

Back