Need advice fast, please....

Stealthy

Registered
Ok, so I got my most recent 'Busa from a guy that just recently did an oil change. The oil was changed about 1000 miles ago *roughly*. I just sent him a text about 30mins ago, asking what oil he used (for reference, so I can use the same stuff). He tells me he used Castrol Syntec 10/40 Full Synthetic CAR OIL. Now in all my experience, I've always been told that's a HUGE no-no..

My questions for the experts are....

1. What should I do about it?
2. Should I or should I not use a full synthetic in the 'Busa (was told not to)
3. Should I be worried about 1000 or so miles running this?

Please no negative comments, I didn't know, and I sure as hell wouldn't have done this myself.

Thank you all.

I am by no means an expert but I have been around here long enough to know you will get varying responses. In short you have not done any long, or short, term damage to your engine. I use mc specific oil, but as I said I am not an expert. I wouldn't sweat it, just change it and press on if you are worried.
:thumbsup:

I run Silkoline (full synthetic) in my BUSA, and its never run better. I put in in around 1300 miles.

No it won't anything, but if it makes you feel better, by all means change it.:thumbsup:

I am by no means an expert but I have been around here long enough to know you will get varying responses. In short you have not done any long, or short, term damage to your engine. I use mc specific oil, but as I said I am not an expert. I wouldn't sweat it, just change it and press on if you are worried.
:thumbsup:

That's what I was thinking, but I've never encountered this issue, so I don't know how to handle it properly. Just thought I'd ask for advice from the people that have been on these bikes longer than I. lol.

Thanks man.

If you use the search engine on here you will find your answer; maybe :laugh: Good luck with it :thumbsup:

more or less oil is oil for daily riding. I prefer Amsoil myself haven't had any problems. but no it's not gonna hurt your bike it's the correct weight. Now get out there and ride (and bring back pics :beerchug:):thumbsup:

You new guys get freaked out so easy :rofl:
For a stock or bolt on modded bike, its not going to matter what kind of oil you put in...car syn, bike syn, car dino, bike dino, rotella syn for diesels, rotella dino for diesels....you're bikes going to run off of ANY of them with no probs. For high hp bikes the car syns can sometimes cause clutch slippage, and the bike syns come with better wear characteristics specifically for bikes trannies. So in the long run bike specific oils would be the best choice. But its only going to make a diff over thousands of miles.....and you prolly won't keep the bike long enough for the type of oil you run to make any diff for you. Some folks have said they noticed smoother shifting with a good bike specific syn....I haven't noticed any diff myself tho.

what i have been told is that once you use synthetic, you need to stay consistent with synthetic. i do have to echo a previous post in that be sure to use motorcycle specific synthetic to avoid any potential clutch issues.

gotta love hayabusas. these bikes are pretty darn tough.:thumbsup:

You new guys get freaked out so easy :rofl:
For a stock or bolt on modded bike, its not going to matter what kind of oil you put in...car syn, bike syn, car dino, bike dino, rotella syn for diesels, rotella dino for diesels....you're bikes going to run off of ANY of them with no probs. For high hp bikes the car syns can sometimes cause clutch slippage, and the bike syns come with better wear characteristics specifically for bikes trannies. So in the long run bike specific oils would be the best choice. But its only going to make a diff over thousands of miles.....and you prolly won't keep the bike long enough for the type of oil you run to make any diff for you. Some folks have said they noticed smoother shifting with a good bike specific syn....I haven't noticed any diff myself tho.
First off, I'm not new to bikes. Second, I only ask because I've never, in my 23 years of riding, encountered this situation. I came to ask the help specifically from the people who ride 'Busas, and may have experienced this.And third, I think that it's a fairly bold and arrogant statement to say that I won't keep my bike, do you know me?

I was just looking for some advice, nothing more. Thanks for the OIL related comment.
what i have been told is that once you use synthetic, you need to stay consistent with synthetic. i do have to echo a previous post in that be sure to use motorcycle specific synthetic to avoid any potential clutch issues.

gotta love hayabusas. these bikes are pretty darn tough.:thumbsup:
Thanks.

Thank everyone that offered assistance. I will be changing the oil strictly out of preference, and moving on.

Synthetics fine ............. just don't use for the first 5000 K of engine life so the rings get a chance to bed in ............... as long as it's good quality oil you can't go wrong. Sticking to one type / brand is probably a good thing but by no means compulsory :beerchug:

First off, I'm not new to bikes. Second, I only ask because I've never, in my 23 years of riding, encountered this situation. I came to ask the help specifically from the people who ride 'Busas, and may have experienced this.And third, I think that it's a fairly bold and arrogant statement to say that I won't keep my bike, do you know me?

I was just looking for some advice, nothing more. Thanks for the OIL related comment.

Thanks.

Thank everyone that offered assistance. I will be changing the oil strictly out of preference, and moving on.
You're a walking contradiction....you claim you have 23 years of riding experience, yet you ask one of the most blatantly newbie questions I've ever seen ??? And you are as mega sensitive as any online forum newbie I've ever seen ??? How old are you again? I'd guess 25, since you're prolly counting you're riding experience as starting with your first tricycle :laugh:

You're a walking contradiction....you claim you have 23 years of riding experience, yet you ask one of the most blatantly newbie questions I've ever seen ??? And you are as mega sensitive as any online forum newbie I've ever seen ??? How old are you again? I'd guess 25, since you're prolly counting you're riding experience as starting with your first tricycle :laugh:

LOL..:rofl: That is KInda how i too it too........
Think he may need to get off the Coffee........ Relax.....
Good luck

Last edited:
play nice kids..... we are supposed to treat all questions with some level of respect... I put car oil in my busa and second gear started popping... (no lie) did the oil cause it? PROBABLY not, but I will always wonder.. :laugh:

If you use car oil, you need to check what additives are in it. Anything with teflon is going to be bad for the clutch.

BusaWhipped hit the nail on the head. Most auto oils are not good for your wet clutch.

If it were me, I'd dump the oil and fill it with an approved oil (Synthetic or Dino, makes no difference) and not worry about it. An oil change is cheap insurance.

Stay away from all the Auto oils that are SM rated.

I have used the HDEO 15w-40 (Dino) for years in all my bikes. I currently run this same oil in my K8 Busa.

Step one: change oil and filter
Step two: Ride it
Step three: Repeat step one and two

Good luck and keep the rubber side down.

Back