Thinking cross country run..

yengese

Registered
I am getting some new orders which will keep me out for some time and I have had this cross country run in my head for some time. Basically, west coast to east coast and back. The first portion will be ( hopefully ) an iron butt run coast to coast and then up the east coast, then back through the center of the US to the west.
I plan on packing light and staying with friends and family ( and military bases maybe ) to keep costs down.
I have a gps to keep me in the loop, and my iphone will keep me connected to the world during stops.
What gear would you consider essential ( such as mini tire pump, other tools?) to safely do this? For some reason, I am worried about my chain. It seems like that could really ruin things ( its the military in me; looking for weak links...no pun)
What is your guys advice?
Thanks

once you get your route set, give a copy to a friend / family and check in with them daily. worse case, they can narrow down where to search if you fail to reach the next check point. if you have doubts about anything- replace it before you leave! alot of space between bike shops. also for a trip like that, put on some fresh tires. a few years ago, a member did essencially a four corners run and had waypoints to mail off and receive clothes so he wasn't lugging excess baggage with him. just a thought. be safe and plan well:beerchug:

Your fine. Just check over the bike and hit the road. My biggest fear when I went cross country on the busa was getting a flat.

When you try your Iron Butt, which run are you trying for ? Saddle Sore (1000 miles in 24 Hr), 1,500 miles in 24 or 36 hours, 50 CC (50 hours to do a Coast to Coast and which route) ? Let us know and we'll give you some advice :beerchug:

Check with Pashnit i think he has tool kits and complete tire repair kits for stuff like that.

Have you mechanic take a look at the bike. If the chain and tires are worrying you replace them before you leave. A tank and a set of saddle bags will be good enough. You can pack enough clothes in them and take tools for repairs if needed. Talk to raydog out of vegas. He showed me a pretty cool to get the back of the bike up so you can oil your chain.

Sounds like a wonderful plan!

I would advise you get a better seat before you start your run. Either Tobin or Corbin. I don't have any experience with Tobin, but folks here swear by them. I have many hours in Corbin seats and have loved every one of them.

Have a great run. :thumbsup:

I am getting some new orders which will keep me out for some time and I have had this cross country run in my head for some time. Basically, west coast to east coast and back. The first portion will be ( hopefully ) an iron butt run coast to coast and then up the east coast, then back through the center of the US to the west.
I plan on packing light and staying with friends and family ( and military bases maybe ) to keep costs down.
I have a gps to keep me in the loop, and my iphone will keep me connected to the world during stops.
What gear would you consider essential ( such as mini tire pump, other tools?) to safely do this? For some reason, I am worried about my chain. It seems like that could really ruin things ( its the military in me; looking for weak links...no pun)
Thanks

Bring Scar with you, he has everything you need and the experience t lead the way too! :beerchug:

Check with Pashnit i think he has tool kits and complete tire repair kits for stuff like that.

Plethora of material out there you can read up on if you feel inclined to be prepared. Here's old article I wrote for Cycle World's Sportbike Annual about setting busa for touring.

Cycle Pumps air compressor are very popular items. Fits inside the busa tail. There are less expensive options if you are on a budget, but I wanted the best.

Img_9442_475.jpg Img_0362-350.jpg

If you want the peace of mine on flats but are on a budget, just get a simple repair kit with CO2. They do work, we've repaired a bunch of tires through the years with the Pashnit Touring Co.

How to Fix a Flat is here with the Stop N Go Kit which are excellent low cost kits.

It can happen. This was on a 1000 mile ride. We plugged the hole and finished the ride.

Img_1635_nail_400.jpg Img_1638_nail_400.jpg

Img_9442_475.jpg

Img_0362-350.jpg

Img_1635_nail_400.jpg

Img_1638_nail_400.jpg

For some reason, I am worried about my chain. It seems like that could really ruin things ( its the military in me; looking for weak links...no pun)
Thanks

I doubt you'd ever have any problems with your chain. I've only broke a master link once (while riding) in last 200K of riding. And that was b/c I was cheap and put a wimpy chain on my ZX-11D. Just dumb.

Lube it every gas stop just a wee bit or get an oiler like a Scottoiler.

The first portion will be ( hopefully ) an iron butt run coast to coast

Overall, just get on bike and go. Once rode 2000 miles in 2 days, and another time 36 hrs riding straight (with 2 hrs sleep under an overpass sitting on bike). :laugh: Wrote a book about it called . You might enjoy it. Fun story. :thumbsup:

Overall, just get on bike and go. Once rode 2000 miles in 2 days, and another time 36 hrs riding straight (with 2 hrs sleep under an overpass sitting on bike). Wrote a book about it called 6000 Mile in 8 Days. You might enjoy it. Fun story.

that was a nice read, I felt like I was right there with you. I have not done any long distance riding like that but its on my list of things to do. although I do feel alot the same way you describe when on the bike.......nothing else matters when I'm on the bike.

Depending on the route sounds like you'll need to set up an oil and filter change and probably have a tire somewhere unless you're running a continental...

thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to do an oil change at my parents and that would make me good until I get back. Tires are pretty new so I would be good there also.

Back