long term ownership and drivability questions

hubris

Registered
I'm looking to eventually turbo my busa. I'm not looking for huge power gains. Han Racecraft stage 1 seems like it would suit me just fine.

Can some current turbo owners share their experience in terms of maintenance and long rides (above 2 hours - 300+ miles) ?

I take long rides all the time...Install and tune are very important. Also turbos are tough on oil, change it every 1500-2000 miles. More if you beat on it.

You might talk to 02spool (screenname) he rides his alot of miles and it is very dependable.

Long as you ant to ride. keep it arount 280hp and it will run for a long time. Do basic Turbo upgrades Billet output shaft, spacer in the head etc. DO NOT EVER RUN OVER 180MPH with just pump gas or at least water or octane boost. Cruising is just like any other Busa.

Just completed my build. Rode 170 miles first day out and 400 mile ride the next saturday. Running 18lb on 93 octane...did great, being a ground up build stuff "lines, parts'' did a little moving around and now a have a small boost stutter 7K and up....i need to check the secondaries and lines. Other than that i wouldnt be afraid to ride my bike daily

I have 21,000+ miles on an install done at 23,000 miles.Have heard of others with far more than that.I have done over a dozen 500+ mile days,2-up with luggage.:thumbsup:
Most recent trip was to this years bash at 2500 miles,1900 last year. I will ride it anywhere, any time.
I did not know what to expect before install,having heard every good/bad experience out there.I will say that it is a leap of faith:whistle:Less so today with more kits/knowledge out there. The fact is that you have added many variables to the bike.
Priority one is a good kit! Trekfuel's suggestion is a good one. I kept boost level low(5.8,stock comp.)+ intercooler for longevity,blow off valve(excess pressure)and a second fan.Fan is manditory with intercooler,good idea anyway.Wish I could have afforded a secondary set of injectors and electronics.FMU has been good after upgrading original wrinkled shim.:moon:
I set mine up this way so I could ride twisties and be able to get to them!(150 to 1000 miles away):laugh:Main consideration was longevity.All depends on what you want out of a kit.I would love more boost but felt it would be a trade off to my goals.
Next is install and a custom tune,even more important than the kit!!! Leave it to an expert or get lots of help.I did my install with a friend to help with cost.I also wanted to know the ins /outs of the system firsthand for any future issues/maintence. EXPERT tune is everything. Maintence is more basically monitering everything more.tuning more often,oil ,plugs etc. Gauges are,to me, essential.
Good luck if you make the decision,lots of research helps too.:beerchug:

The Hahn is a good kit but in terms of product support I would go with RCC, it is a few dollars more than the Hahn, but well worth it, the install and especialy the tune (custom fuel map) done on a dyno is most important for good drivability and longativity, and as long as you keep the boost at 6lbs or less, you wont need nothing else done to the motor, and with a good tune it will last forever on pump 93

what is your version of respected?
I didn't do any extended wot top end land speed type runs, would hit it very hard quite often for short bursts tho, gave it cool down time between hard runs, took it a little easier in real hot weather (it was air cooled), watched my gas quality, always cooled it down with a short cruise before shutting it off, and once I had it dialed in and running good I left the boost alone :laugh: I also ran full syn and changed it regularly :thumbsup:
Same things I'm going to do with my boosted 14 to make it last a good while :beerchug:

I didn't do any extended wot top end land speed type runs, would hit it very hard quite often for short bursts tho, gave it cool down time between hard runs, took it a little easier in real hot weather (it was air cooled), watched my gas quality, always cooled it down with a short cruise before shutting it off, and once I had it dialed in and running good I left the boost alone :laugh: I also ran full syn and changed it regularly :thumbsup:
Same things I'm going to do with my boosted 14 to make it last a good while :beerchug:

very very good "real world riding style" for someone with a stage 1, or even stage 2 turbo with a/a intercooler, and pump gas users:thumbsup::thumbsup: this should be elaborated a bit more and possible made as a "how to ride your turbo bike" sticky and maybe list stage1, stage2, a/w intercooled system ect....and explain the difference and the best suggested way to maintain and ride each system to enable them to last longer....I pretty much follow the same rules you do except i do WOT runs because i use a ultra a/w intercooler and i change up my boost because my bike is tuned all the way to 40lb...but i just make sure i have the correct type of fuel in my bike for whatever boost level i choose....haven't seen many 14 turbos i bet thats pretty cool

very very good "real world riding style" for someone with a stage 1, or even stage 2 turbo with a/a intercooler, and pump gas users:thumbsup::thumbsup: this should be elaborated a bit more and possible made as a "how to ride your turbo bike" sticky and maybe list stage1, stage2, a/w intercooled system ect....and explain the difference and the best suggested way to maintain and ride each system to enable them to last longer....I pretty much follow the same rules you do except i do WOT runs because i use a ultra a/w intercooler and i change up my boost because my bike is tuned all the way to 40lb...but i just make sure i have the correct type of fuel in my bike for whatever boost level i choose....haven't seen many 14 turbos i bet thats pretty cool
You're right Destin...I think alot of guys new to turbo bikes don't always understand the limitations of their bike and the kit on it......and that can often lead to trouble :banghead: I should have the 14 up and running within a week or so :cheerleader: I can't wait, its going to be a wild ride I think :laugh: I'm only running a measly 8lbs on the stock motor tho......40lbs is just madness ::11 :laugh: :thumbsup:

Hey Guys, Im new to the site. Its awesome to see so many people that think like me :laugh: Anyway Im completely new to the turbo idea so I was wondering if you guys are using extended swingarms to keep the front down, or is it just a matter of knowing your boost?

Hey Guys, Im new to the site. Its awesome to see so many people that think like me :laugh: Anyway Im completely new to the turbo idea so I was wondering if you guys are using extended swingarms to keep the front down, or is it just a matter of knowing your boost?

Hey welcome, i would say majority of turbo busas all have extended arms....its actually hard to find one that doesn't. Given that a stock length bike will come up with a turbo a swingarm comes in handy. First turbo i ever rode was 315hp on a stock arm and it was "Violent" 4-5th gear wheelies at 150+ and i had a stock busa at the time so it was quite exciting

I use stock swingarm on my bike. I would never put an ext. swingarm on my bike. I also don't drag race either though. I personally think the trade off is not worth have and extended arm, thats just me though.

I use stock swingarm on my bike. I would never put an ext. swingarm on my bike. I also don't drag race either though. I personally think the trade off is not worth have and extended arm, thats just me though.
hey wanna ride mine with a stock arm when its done?
no changing the boost controller or tune though lol

j/k
its strictly what your preference is and that is about how most of your responces will be
i personally was a little timid with mine at stock wheelbase but i liked to really beat on the bike and it was prone to lift the front in the 5th and 6th gear when i was pushing it really hard (i dont weigh enough to keep it down lol)

Back