Rpm

det45

Registered
As some of you all know I just purchased my 2009 Busa a couple of weeks ago and I have about 300 miles on it. I haven't jumped on it yet because of the break in period, but I'm curious to know exactly what RPM range the bike starts peeling my fingers off of the grips. I have not taken the bike past 5000 RPM yet.......det45 :thumbsup::laugh:

Well I just moved to the 5k - 8k range and there is a lot more power there. I can't speak for anything over 8k yet though because I only have about 700 miles on my bike so far. Looking at people's dyno charts it seems like most of the power is made over the 6k mark.

Good luck staying under 5k. :laugh:

I too, have just moved into the 5 to 8 range. Lots more power. Really starts to crank at about 6k. People say it will really rip after 1000 miles.

As some of you all know I just purchased my 2009 Busa a couple of weeks ago and I have about 300 miles on it. I haven't jumped on it yet because of the break in period, but I'm curious to know exactly what RPM range the bike starts peeling my fingers off of the grips. I have not taken the bike past 5000 RPM yet.......det45 :thumbsup::laugh:

From about 6000 RPM - Red Line.

I felt the same way during my break in. But when I past the magic mile and first oil change. I foung the power is way more than you have imagined.

jump in power in the 6-8k range,
then hold on for the 8-10k shot out of a cannon jump in power, enjoy :laugh:

Det45/Guys, JMHO(AND MANY OTHER ENGINE BUILDERS/TUNER), DO NOT BABY THAT BUSA IN BREAK IN PERIOD, you need to break it in like how your going to ride it! DONT BEAT THE H3LL out of it, but dont be scared to take it to redline either. Break it in slow, it'll be slow! :beerchug:

Det45/Guys, JMHO(AND MANY OTHER ENGINE BUILDERS/TUNER), DO NOT BABY THAT BUSA IN BREAK IN PERIOD, you need to break it in like how your going to ride it! DONT BEAT THE H3LL out of it, but dont be scared to take it to redline either. Break it in slow, it'll be slow! :beerchug:

this is exactly what my sales guy told me. Said be careful of the new tires, but other than that, drive it like ya stole it. Only problem is, 2nd gear at 10,000 rpm im really breaking the law :rofl:

Gotta have some balls to be coming off of something slower, or much slower, and taking your brand new $13,000+ bike down the road at 10,000rpms in 4th gear. I hope some of you guys like in rural Montana/Nevada/Utah etc.

I think that 'break in' is more there for human function than the machine's. Just ride it like normal I'd imagine.

The owner's manual does not say "take it easy" during the break-in. It says to limit maximum engine speed to 5500 for the first 500 miles, then 8000 for the next 500 miles. It also says to "load" and "unload" the engine.

When I picked mine up at the dealer, I fully warmed it up and then hit some deserted back roads. I gave it wide open throttle but kept it below 4000 rpm. Then I would completely close the throttle and let it slow down. This gives plenty of pressure to seat the rings. I did this in first, second and third gear. I then moved to the mountains and continued this process taking it to 5000 rpm.

Remember you are also breaking in the valve train, transmission, chain and sprockets.

I have used this procedure to break in many vehicles and they have always been strong and reliable. You don't need to go to 10,000 rpm to seat the rings.

Last edited:
Gotta have some balls to be coming off of something slower, or much slower, and taking your brand new $13,000+ bike down the road at 10,000rpms in 4th gear. I hope some of you guys like in rural Montana/Nevada/Utah etc.

I think that 'break in' is more there for human function than the machine's. Just ride it like normal I'd imagine.

I took mine to redline in ALL gears:rofl: But, then thats probably why I needed a new crank,rods and cylinder??? It's just not fast enough for me in stock form

Been riding my own for 45 years and my father always said break it in like you are going to ride it and he started riding in the early 40's and only gave it up a few years ago. My 08 Busa was no exception so after a short while, I rode the brand new bike like I am going to ride it for many years to come, or until a new one comes along. Love this bike.

Back