British rider takes video of friends death

It looks to me like the car was passing another car.....somebody from Britan know if the lines painted were a passing lane?

Everyone that rides a superbike knows the rate of acceleration is tremendous. Looking at the time sequence of events, I doubt the driver of the car realized a collision was about to occur. The driver probably never saw the motorcycle. His attention was on the car he was going to pass and the oncoming traffic. It is the responsibility of the person passing to do it safely. You have to ask, had the rider been driving the speed limit, would the collision have occurred. Do the math on the time sequence and think about how often people check their rear mirrors.

Pic 1 he cuts in front of his buddy.
Pic 2 If car driver checks his mirrors, there are two cars between him and the bike.
Pic 3 One car between him and the bike.
Pic 4 Still one car and his buddy is at 100mph trying to keep up. Driver has started to over take car.
Pic 5 Impact
entire time elapsed from pic one to pic 5 = 6 seconds.

How often do you check your mirrors?

The speedo on the camera bike is in KPH not MPH...read the article thoroughly...at first it mentions speeds of 170 MPH, but that was wrong and it confuses the issue. Through out the the article it mentions MPH and it should be KPH...look at the speed of the cars...especially in the slower segments.

170 KPH = 106 MPH
100 KPH = 63 MPH

Speed is not the cause for this tragic accident...the car never saw the bike and the biker made a bad choice :(

Last edited:
Makes me sigh... I have to strongly agree with the majority of responses here, the folks at the .org are awesome and it makes me proud to have the opportunity of association, even if only electronic for the most part. This morning during our commute my fiancé and I were passed by a squid on a cruiser, loud pipes, blasting in and out of traffic, deliberately rapping the pipes, feet on his crash bar pegs, marginally in control of his bike with his dreadlocks flying out of a beanie helmet. This guy is a statistic waiting to happen - his riding scared everyone around him; it’s not an if in this case, it’s a when... Makes me sad to witness. Thanks to all who responded to this, your collective spirit of responsibility is inspiring.
-Jim

Makes me sigh... I have to strongly agree with the majority of responses here, the folks at the .org are awesome and it makes me proud to have the opportunity of association, even if only electronic for the most part. This morning during our commute my fiancé and I were passed by a squid on a cruiser, loud pipes, blasting in and out of traffic, deliberately rapping the pipes, feet on his crash bar pegs, marginally in control of his bike with his dreadlocks flying out of a beanie helmet. This guy is a statistic waiting to happen - his riding scared everyone around him; it’s not an if in this case, it’s a when... Makes me sad to witness. Thanks to all who responded to this, your collective spirit of responsibility is inspiring.
-Jim

I also think it is important to not underestimate the impact and influence we can have on our own kids in relation to how they end up riding/driving when it is their time. I am constantly pointing out squids and bad drivers to my kids and telling them what these people are doing wrong to the point now that they associate these behaviours with being lumped into a group of losers. They don't want to be in that group. I really think (hope) that when the time comes for them to be on a bike or behind the wheel, especially while under the influence of friends/peers, they will remember all the things I have pointed out to them and make the right and responsible decisions that keep them, and everyone around them, safe.

The speedo on the camera bike is in KPH not MPH...read the article thoroughly...at first it mentions speeds of 170 MPH, but that was wrong and it confuses the issue. Through out the the article it mentions MPH and it should be KPH...look at the speed of the cars...especially in the slower segments.

170 KPH = 106 MPH
100 KPH = 63 MPH

Speed is not the cause for this tragic accident...the car never saw the bike and the biker made a bad choice :(
I would say speed is one the primary factors ..

had he been just going with the flow, the crash would have never happened.. he had a need to get out front of everyone for what possible reason? speed?

He was going to knock off 2 cars in one pass (and this certainly is not the first video showing this to be a really dumb idea that caused a crash)

he then hit the car with enough closing speed to be thrown more than a few feet...

Slow down, wait for the right time and place, then motor on...

What pisses me off is the fact that everyone keeps refering to this as an accident. From what I saw in the video, the riding style that they were doing was purly intentional. What did they expect was going to happen riding so aggresively in heavy traffic? I sure dont feel sorry for these friggin morons being a statistic for thier own actions.

had he been just going with the flow, the crash would have never happened.. he had a need to get out front of everyone for what possible reason? speed?

He was going to knock off 2 cars in one pass (and this certainly is not the first video showing this to be a really dumb idea that caused a crash)

he then hit the car with enough closing speed to be thrown more than a few feet...

He chose to pass at a BAD time...that was the cause of the accident :(

Another great point!!!! Closing speed is very important. Aside from someone turning in front of you, one of the biggest dangers is flying by a line of traffic that is going significantly slower than you or is stopped. We are hard to see, especially closing in from behind. If your closing speed is higher than that from which you could stop/swerve (or if you don't have room to swerve into somethings other than an object or in this case oncoming traffic) you are in SERIOUS danger!!!

I've RIPPED past some cars from time to time, and most of us have, but ONLY if I'm on the far side of my lane AND I have somewhere to go WHEN (not if) the day comes that someone pulls this move on me. Let's all learn from other's mistakes, like this one, and not our own!

Swap the bike and the car in this situation, if the bike had pulled out to pass and the car driving at 100 plus ran him over, would it be the bike's fault. Would you want charges brought on the bike rider cause he pulled out to pass and was run over?

Plain fact of this type of riding is a wreck was inevitable. Sad for all.

That only point that I was making is that the car was either looking to pass the car ahead of it or it was blocking the bike intentionally. Either way, the driver of car had the same lack of regard for traffic around them as the bikers by not checking mirrors and blind spot prior to attempting to pass or for the motorcycle it was blocking purposely.

The accident was definitely the fault of the rider. There's no denying that. However, if the court is going to bring the rider with the camera into court and file charges related to the mans death, the court shouldn't pick and choose. The only thing the "camera man" is guilty of is moving violations (not manslaughter or the like). The driver of the car could be found guilty of more, possibly.

Sad and unfortunate end result, regardless of all of the circumstances.

Last edited:
Interesting how because of his previous actions he is now judged guilty regardless of the fact the other vehicle cut him off. Guess he should have reached for the brake instead of the throttle. Very sad and tragic for all involved.

The swerver needs to be brought on manslaughter charges if found of wrongdoing.

Last edited:
Everyone that rides a superbike knows the rate of acceleration is tremendous. Looking at the time sequence of events, I doubt the driver of the car realized a collision was about to occur. The driver probably never saw the motorcycle. His attention was on the car he was going to pass and the oncoming traffic. It is the responsibility of the person passing to do it safely. You have to ask, had the rider been driving the speed limit, would the collision have occurred. Do the math on the time sequence and think about how often people check their rear mirrors.

Pic 1 he cuts in front of his buddy.
Pic 2 If car driver checks his mirrors, there are two cars between him and the bike.
Pic 3 One car between him and the bike.
Pic 4 Still one car and his buddy is at 100mph trying to keep up. Driver has started to over take car.
Pic 5 Impact
entire time elapsed from pic one to pic 5 = 6 seconds.

How often do you check your mirrors?

+1 I agree. Hasn't anyone here been passed up by a bike at high rate of speed??? I have put my turn signal checked my mirrors seen the all clear image made my move only to be nearly clipped by a guy in the triple digits. Not only that but they have passed me in my own lane like that. When I am in my lane I often shift positions in it depending on the position of the cars around me. Sorry but I can't go blaming the cager for this tragedy. Ride safe all the track days are are a lot cheaper than the tickets an a lot safer than the streets.

Back