Gearing for top end? Buddy has a zx14 and i want to leave him.

kaybusa

Registered
i see a lot of gear swaps telling how to be more zip by going up in the rear teeth. Im considering going down a few teeth i leave in the DC area and we get a lot of top end rides with my buddies and i pretty much leave everything except that damm 14. we trade top end leads a lot. I know if i go down in the rear he may leave me off the line but i want him in his mirrors cause im comming. I have a full tye force for now a air box mod and PC3 is next i guess i need a tre also. Im still new to the Busa's so ANY help i can get would be cool.

start with the tre the limiter is whats keeping you behind, the kawi's tend to be around 186 and the busa's limiter tends to be around 184-185

at the drag strip the stock busa's beat the stock 14s every time...1/4 mile

If your both of equal dimensions (height/weight/girth) both bikes are so even in power that whoever gets the jump will probably stay ahead. If you're not going to add more power to the engine then the best thing for you to do is gear the bike for 189mph and practice your shifting and tuck.

when you say gear for 189mph what gear are you speaking of? Also i hear with the tre it may hurt your proformance unless you are at top end so shouls i be looking for a switchable tre that i can switch on when im toped out?

swap the rear sprocket to a 42 tooth (+2). Talk to Greg (smithabusa) about his mod for the top end. A tre that only effects 6th gear is the best choice if you go that route. The other option would be to just flash the ECU.

If you were closer I would say just to come by sometime and I could flash your ECU for the best fix.

OK wouldnt +2 in the rear give me more bottom than top just like switching to a bigger gear on a ten speed right? ill do a search for smithbusa and talk to him but i dont know anything about flashing the ECU where do i get this done? Im in the D.C. area 20011 zip. Im new to this so thanks for the help.

yes the +2 does give you more off the line and lower the top speed. By switching to a bigger sprocket in the back it might help you get the jump on him and get through the revs quicker. Once you're above 170 aero's are so important. Your bike doesn't have enough hp to hit 200mph so there's no reason to gear for that. I would think by the time you guys are hitting 180's someone has probably backed off.

As for flashing I think on Greg's site he lists all the places that flash the ecu. Since all you want to do is get rid of the speed restriction you really just need to find someone in your general area who has one and could just help you out. It only takes 5 minutes or less to do it.

You should join us on my ZX-14 vs. Busa drag day. The thread is in the 1/4 mile section. This way you can race legally and do it over and over again if need be. We will be giving trophies out for the fastest ZX-14 and fastest Hayabusa..

180 on a highway is dangerous.

top end? aero's and HP... fix one or the other (or better both) :)

but really who could care less about 2 clowns running 180+ down a public road...

you should take yourself, your buddy and your bikes to a real sanctioned event and do this like men.. (really why do this to yourself)

When someone shreds a tire or something goes wrong and someone dies (and yea that happens all too frequently) all it does is ruin your life and make bikes look like........

(never seen anyone get a ticket or chased at the track either) :whistle:

Last edited:
I know its a bad thing. Im not one of those people who try to defend stupid stuff. Yes its stupid yes i still do it and yes i even have kids. But all is not lost so dont give up on me. Im getting better. I used to street race a lot in my 2 Novas i have a 69 and a 78 but since the birth of my kids i left the street alone and now im strictly track. As the saying goes "I'm not where i should be but I'm not where i was either" so try and understand insted of calling names like clown "Mr. Bogus" im working on it

the finger point is the easy thing, we all have raced on the street. as far as a clown, well clowns are people too.

you can get your feelings a bit hurt and I wont care... (sorry if "clown" offended you but it was nicer than the other work I had in mind :) )

running these bikes at WFO to max speeds racing on the streets is foolish...

after you get to see a few aftermaths, scrape up some body parts, meet some despondent spouses and parents, heart broken kids, you will get what I mean...

we all speed, we all run the bike hard but not very many come on here talking about repeated matchups trying to be the 'fastest' guy... certainly none of the members I ride with here would do this anywhere but a track or very isolated area where bystanders are not part of the equation.. (just being smart about being stupid ya know)

one thing I have learned? no matter how fast I build it... there is always going to be that one guy... (well almost always, no one out ran the Fuel Altered yet) :rofl:

and if you can not find a sprocket at the site sponsors sites?

well... I shall withdraw from this topic :)

Last edited:
Going to a higher gear is not going to help you beat your buddy. You need to leave it stock gearing for top end speed unless you have a very long "closed" course to run on because you're not going to have the room to reel him in if you don't. The stock motor on the gen II Busa does have the HP to pull 200mph with a few bolt ons. I tell you this from running at Maxton, and with the stock gears it hits the rev limiter at 200 on the dot about 100 feet in front of the finish line. With a -2 gear in the rear my buddy did 202.7 so it can be done. (I did 199.2). Anyway...if you go with the higher gear, you're buddies going to be out in front of you for the first mile, even though you might be going faster than him in the long run will you really have enough time and space to reel him in an pass him. Like everyone else said, that's a bit dangerous unless you're on a closed course, but thought I'd add my .2

I know its a bad thing. Im not one of those people who try to defend stupid stuff. Yes its stupid yes i still do it and yes i even have kids. But all is not lost so dont give up on me. Im getting better. I used to street race a lot in my 2 Novas i have a 69 and a 78 but since the birth of my kids i left the street alone and now im strictly track. As the saying goes "I'm not where i should be but I'm not where i was either" so try and understand insted of calling names like clown "Mr. Bogus" im working on it

Not to defend Mr bogus,but you took your cage off the street racing scene only to end up on a more dangerous 2 wheel rocket going top speed? Guess your kids lose their novelty as they get older. :laugh:

Seriously though so many things can go wrong when top end racing on the street. Even if you go down the same area all the time. Live animals,dead animals(can guess how that happened), other various road debris,etc... It's a thrill anyone of us here know how that is. Your few minutes of excitement can cause your children a lifetime of heartache.

Am I guilty of doing something I shouldn't of on the street? YES! Been to the Gandy(Tampa Bay hot spot) quite a few times when I was younger.

Even though some of the words were not what i wanted to hear i do thank you guys for them because its my best interest you have in mind, that being said if you have to use a few words i dont like to help keep me safe, do what you must. Im new to Busa's and the org fam which is prob why i sometimes drive it like i stole it. LOL (only 3 mos on my busa) But that what a family does they look out for each other, so thanks Mr. Bogus and the rest of the org fam for looking out. I really mean it.:bowdown:

Even though some of the words were not what i wanted to hear i do thank you guys for them because its my best interest you have in mind, that being said if you have to use a few words i dont like to help keep me safe, do what you must. Im new to Busa's and the org fam which is prob why i sometimes drive it like i stole it. LOL (only 3 mos on my busa) But that what a family does they look out for each other, so thanks Mr. Bogus and the rest of the org fam for looking out. I really mean it.:bowdown:

Just a heads up...I know the adrenaline has GOT to leak out somewhere, otherwise we wouldn't have fast bikes in the first place. I find that if I go to a track day or Maxton or etc etc it really really calms me down in places I'm not supposed to be leaking all that extra adrenaline out. ((especially Maxton, that soothes the pain, LoL, I wish their run was about 10 miles long)) I know it cost a bit sometimes, but it's great adrenaline therapy~!~
That's not saying that tomorrow I won't exit the drive and turn it loose, but I don't feel that need nearly as much.

Back