My Starter doesnt have much time....

rashad

Registered
Well, its getting worse and its only a matter of time before I lose my engine case.

I have read and read and as usual there is not really a genuine straight answer on this...

I have an 02.. it definitely has a crappy weak factory starter that should have been recalled. The dealers say there is no recall..(yeah i read the thread that was stickied that leads me nowhere)

What is the best/most efficient solution to this problem??

Should I get the uber expensive schnitz racing gear? Do I need their uber expensive add on hardened starter pin too?

Does everyone that owns a busa spend 400.00 on every problem?... this is getting ludicrous!

Now I cant ride for fear of losing an engine case and I still dont even know what to buy for sure lol..

And then when I buy..whatever... I dont know how to put it on..

Why would there be a writeup..that would make toooo much sense...:banghead:

Please help and try not to bump this thread to the third page before I ride my bike into the river..thanks..

Rashad - do you need a new starter?

Replaced mine a short while back after ground the teeth off of the starter. ???

is the starter getting weak or are you chewing the teeth off?

I have a starter I am sure if interested...

I have seen an area notched and the starter was rotated down...

I personally would upgrade to the 03+ starter setup

Thanks for the quick replies guys..

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the clunk of death and the starter is kicking back.

I would love to upgrade to 03 setup but don't know where to start.

Some say it won't fit etc... I'm lost. I made a post before but it got buried before making progress...
Posted via Mobile Device

Rashad, time to go to your local Suzuki shop, talk to a mechanic and get some advice?

Can't say I know the difference between the 02 vs the 03 setup, I have same as your bike. I replaced mine with a Rick's Motorsports Electric 99-02 Busa starter. Didn't have much choice as I had no teeth on the pinion gear.

I can source that for you if you decide to go that route.

In the least get the case saver. They used to be Titanium but now are cheaper in Stainless Steel. This doesn't gaurantee your case will be spared but I can say for sure it saved my neck but the ignition cover cracked.

Thanks for the quick replies guys..

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the clunk of death and the starter is kicking back.

I would love to upgrade to 03 setup but don't know where to start.

Some say it won't fit etc... I'm lost. I made a post before but it got buried before making progress...
Posted via Mobile Device

starter has a longer shaft because of part #1

99-02 starter assembly

Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Suzuki 2002 GSX1300RZ HAYABUSA STARTER CLUTCH MODEL X Y K1 K2

03+ starter assembly

Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Suzuki 2006 GSX1300R,Z STARTER CLUTCH

the actual assembly cover is universal from 99-08

Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Suzuki 2006 GSX1300R,Z CRANKCASE COVER

referring to parts 12 & 22

so technically...

you would want the starter and gears and shafts inside the clutch assembly..

however

my advice to you would be to buy an entire used setup and be done with it...

as said, if you need another starter I will hook you up to tide you over.

Last edited:
What kind of shape is your battery in?

A weak battery will make the problem much worse.

yeap push start it...about 3 mph run and second gear drop of the clutch....

yeap push start it...about 3 mph run and second gear drop of the clutch....

good way to screw up the trans on a bike notorious for 2nd gear issues....:whistle::whistle::whistle:

but you guys are the experts.

I personally would not bump start a modern sport bike unless it was an emergency situation.

yeah so i got a starter from suzuki4life,(thanks again!) But that isnt the problem..

The gears on the starter were fine..but i replaced it anyways..

TODAY: when I pushed the starter button, the starter whirred, like a drill.. like it wasnt catching something...

What did I do?

yeah i know.. but for some reason, with all the people doing the upgrade, there is no writeup telling me what I need, and what to do exactly. I KNOW it sounds easy, but this bike is cursed and I guarantee you if i dig in there and get one little thing wrong, im gonna get pissed and throw the bike into the river. If I do this ill probly make a write up, since ive noticed only a few writeups on the common busa things... guess things are different in the car community.

yeah i know.. but for some reason, with all the people doing the upgrade, there is no writeup telling me what I need, and what to do exactly. I KNOW it sounds easy, but this bike is cursed and I guarantee you if i dig in there and get one little thing wrong, im gonna get pissed and throw the bike into the river. If I do this ill probly make a write up, since ive noticed only a few writeups on the common busa things... guess things are different in the car community.

if you have a service manual....follow it for the 03 assembly

this post has 2 links...each shows what parts your bike currently has...and what the 03 setup consists of

The outer housings and covers are the same...

differences are in the inner gears/parts and the starter itself.

Dude. The 99 -02 busa had a problem so they made a change to the starter assembly.Check this out. Had mine done when the starter gear blew up.
SUBJECT: STARTER SYSTEM PARTS INTERCHANGE INFORMATION
MODEL: GSX1300R Hayabusa
1999 through 2002 ( X ~ K2) MODELS
REFERENCE: GSX1300R SERVICE MANUAL (PN 99500-39183-03E) &
SERVICE BULLETIN GS/GSX/GSX-R NO. 127 - GSX1300RK3
SUPPLEMENTARY SERVICE MANUAL INFORMATION
NOTICE:
The starter system parts of the 2003 GSX1300RK3 have been changed as compared to
earlier Hayabusa motorcycles. The system now incorporates a starter idle gear limiter,
similar to the type used on a DR-Z400E.
These new parts can be installed in place of the original parts if you need to repair the starter
system of a 2002 or earlier model Hayabusa. Please follow the recommendations in this
bulletin if you decide to place the new, K3-style starter system parts into an earlier model
GSX1300R.
Spare parts for the original starter system components for the 1999 through 2002 model
Hayabusa will remain available from the Suzuki Parts Department.

Back