opinions/info please (pics)

teamorion22

Registered
2marrow i am going to get my new tires put on. tonight i removed my wheels. please look at my rear sprocket. it has about 1500 miles on it. its seems more worn than it should be. also should i get new rubber weights inside the rear sprocket hub? and please tell me those are called?

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

Your sprocket and dampners, thats what they're called, look fine from what I can see from the pics.

Looks to me like you never adjusted your chain in your 1500 miles. It still looks good but keep an eye on your tension so you dont ruin the chain and sprocket before its time. I personally ride the ZZZ after the extension and that thing dont stretch for nothing.

Steve

You'll also see the rubber dampers referred to as the "cush drive." As for the sprocket, it looks ok to me, but I'm no expert. You'll really want to look out for rounding of the teeth. Once they start to round off on one side it'll be new chain and sprocket time.

Good luck with your tires.

thanks for replies. are those rubber pieces called rubber cush drives? this is the first after market sprocket and chain. my stock got about 18000. I dont ride tooo hard. and i keep tension a lil more than 1in from top to bottom. is this correct? this is a vortex 43. chain is ek (zvx?) the one that may be rated just below the zzz. from what i read the zzz is more for riders that ride a lil more aggressive :whistle: i cant wait to get my new tires

Your sprocket looks fine.
Those "Rubber Weights" are part of the Cush Drive. I very much doubt if they need replacing. I had them replaced on my first Busa' at 90,000 kilometres (56,000 miles)!!

ah, and i just saw my favorite tool, the butter knife, in the first pic. not even snap on can make a more efficient tool.

Good time to get a good cleaning on that chain. I would submerge/run my chain through a small container of kerosene and brush/wipe.

Oh, the sprocket and cush drive looks fine...just adjust chain...you may want to loosen slightly.

You only need to replace the Cush rubbers if there is a lot of free play between the sprocket carrier and the wheel . With the wheel in place try to move the sprocket, if there is a lot of freeplay then replace them. They're fairly cheap anyway. Not sure about the sprocket, check it against another Busa.

Good time to get a good cleaning on that chain. I would submerge/run my chain through a small container of kerosene and brush/wipe.

Oh, the sprocket and cush drive looks fine...just adjust chain...you may want to loosen slightly.

Yup, clean and lube up.

I'd pitch the sprocket n add a few teeth to the new one :laugh: but seriously it doesnt look bad

1500 miles on that sprocket... to me (and I'm no expert) the sprocket looks like it's wearing quite a bit for 1500 miles. Look at the teeth, look how they are already starting to round. I have a stock sprocket with about 24k miles on it that looks better than that, and I wouldn't say I'm easy on it. I do keep the chain cleaned within reason and lubed, and I run a pretty loose chain as the suspension expert at the track recommended when he was setting up my suspension.

The cush rubbers look OK, like others said, if you are getting slop between the wheel and sprocket hub, then you may want to replacement, but they look like normal wear (although you didn't specify the amount of miles on them). It may be a good time to source some to have ready for the next time, that way you will had a chance to find the parts for the right price, and you will not have to find them when you have the bike apart and you want to ride...

thank you for the replies.
those cush drives have 21k on them, and I too thought the sprocket had more wear than it should. i keep the chain clean and lubed and about an inch of play from top to bottom as far as tension goes. there didn't seem to be any play between the sprocket and wheel. the sprocket is vortex steel 43. is there more stress on the teeth of the rear sprocket when you go up in the number of teeth? i will order cush drives for next time i change my tire and I will clean the chain and sprocket good and keep my eye on them.
thanks again
michael

Back