brake dust

trevor

Registered
I pruchased a 2005 busa over the winter, every time I get home from a ride there is brake dust on the rims. The pads look like they touch the rotor. braking feels great though. does this seem normal? I have to clean them after almost every ride. Maybe its just because every time I accelerate hard, I follow it with hard braking! Being a new busa owner, i must say... The busa is KING!! Not only does it haul scary fast, it handles great and is very comfortable on longer rides.

Scrubbing down from triple digit bursts creates brake dust .

The factory center stand is a godsend for easy wipes of the rear rim :thumbsup:

All my liter bike buds I ride with get a similar amount , in my experience it's normal .

And a small price to pay for ear to ear grin acceleration :laugh:

thanks guys, as i was writing i started thanking about the hard braking. Its gonna take some time to get used to all the hp and torque! Ive driven a cbr1100xx in the past and it doesnt seem to pull near as hard as the busa.

Dust on the wheels is normal. I wipe my rims off before and after a ride with a shop rag that I spray WD40 on. WD 40 will wipe up any chain lube that the chain slings on the wheels too. Just make sure you spray the rag, not the wheel, so you don't get WD40 all over the tire.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Took me a little while to get used to myself. Now I hardly touch the brake. Mainly only when having to come to a complete stop at a light. Slowing down is mor downshifting. Have fun with her and be careful. Ride your ride.

Took me a little while to get used to myself. Now I hardly touch the brake. Mainly only when having to come to a complete stop at a light. Slowing down is mor downshifting. Have fun with her and be careful. Ride your ride.

Well, keep in mind that brakes are much cheaper than clutches and transmissions. And trevor, pads are made out of different materials. Fully organic pads cause the most dust I believe. Metallic or semi-metallic cause the least, but wear into the rotors more.

If you can rotate the wheels freely when off the ground, it is the way it is supposed to be.
The pads do drag just a hair all the time. That is why they grab so fast when brakes are applied.

I run those and I get brake dust constantly.
I clean and clean and clean my rims...

You must really butcher the brakes! I've never gotten any brake dust on my rims even with the stock pads, little on the fork by the caliper is all.
Some road dust on the front wheel, more on the back, but that is all.
Thing I notice the most is how many bugs get stuck on the inside my front rim, flies, pieces of wasp, unidentifiable carcass parts.:laugh:

Last edited:
I noticed that the pads were just barely touching all the time, didnt know it was normal. I thought that mybe there should be retainers that kept them from touching. Pretty sure I'm not BUTCHERING the brakes..Just getting a little dusty after a day of riding, and I like keeping it spotless.Thanks for the input. I'll try wiping w wd-40.

Thanks everyone!:thumbsup:

I use Honda spray polish and cleaner seems to work good and does not collect dust as easy as wd40, it has antistatic propertys or whatever in it. just my 2 cents

You must really butcher the brakes! I've never gotten any brake dust on my rims even with the stock pads, little on the fork by the caliper is all.
Some road dust on the front wheel, more on the back, but that is all.
Thing I notice the most is how many bugs get stuck on the inside my front rim, flies, pieces of wasp, unidentifiable carcass parts.:laugh:
I run the EBC HH (well did) and they dusted my wheels also... another thing is wheels just get plain dirty from road grime anyway..

I have the HH Extreme pads now.. not sure how much dusting they are doing yet..

:welcome: its normal i switched to galfer pad hoping this would help and it didnt i clean mine after each ride myself and with black rims they show everything...

The black rims look dull w just a small amount of dust, its true! I tried the wd 40 and it does work well getting the dust off. thanks for the suggestion:thumbsup:

Back