How worn is this sprocket?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I never realized until today how well hidden the rear sprocket is. If I buy new sprockets, it is $100 more.

Chain.jpg

try to clean it and take another pic. did u just buy a chain? if so most would recommend getting new sprockets

doesnt really look worn to me, but a rear sprocket at MR Cycle is less than 40 dollars, can probably get a front for below 20.

If you're replacing the chain you ALWAYS replace the chain and sprockets as a set. Usually the cush drives as well, although it's not quite as important to replace them at the same time as it is the other 2. Chains and sprockets wear together. If you replace one without replacing the other you'll wind up with abnormal wear.

If you're replacing the chain you ALWAYS replace the chain and sprockets as a set. Usually the cush drives as well, although it's not quite as important to replace them at the same time as it is the other 2. Chains and sprockets wear together. If you replace one without replacing the other you'll wind up with abnormal wear.

Yeah, I'm getting the idea. It's dumb to buy one without the other. OK, at the risk of sounding stupid, what are cush drives?

I can most likely trim that a bit. If you order from Mr Cycles put "attn Ken and Hayabusa.org" and I will take care of you :beerchug:

Yeah, I'm getting the idea. It's dumb to buy one without the other. OK, at the risk of sounding stupid, what are cush drives?

Lol. The only stupid question is the one not asked. The cush drives (aka cush rubbers) are the rubber pieces inside the hub that the sprocket bolts to. Number 17 in the pic.
10155_59.gif

Lol. The only stupid question is the one not asked. The cush drives (aka cush rubbers) are the rubber pieces inside the hub that the sprocket bolts to. Number 17 in the pic.
10155_59.gif

Many thanks GM. Looking at the diagram, they couldn't cost that much, and you have to expose them to change the sprockets anyway. Am I right about that?

I'm going to let someone else do the work. I would consider the chain, sprockets, and the way the tires are mounted, balanced, and aligned to be critical (at least the way I ride :thumbsup:).

Many thanks GM. Looking at the diagram, they couldn't cost that much, and you have to expose them to change the sprockets anyway. Am I right about that?

I'm going to let someone else do the work. I would consider the chain, sprockets, and the way the tires are mounted, balanced, and aligned to be critical (at least the way I ride :thumbsup:).
Tire mounting and balancing I leave to somebody with the equipment to do it. It's simple to put the rubbers, chain n sprocket on tho. You will be charged at least an hour of labor for something that takes maybe 15 minutes and is almost impossible to screw up. Your choice.........Oh and the rubbers are 3-4 bucks each.

$100??? you need to search a little more, check jt sprockets... look like you need to clean it more offten, I clean my chian and sprocket once a week or every 500miles, then lube her up!!!! it will last allot longer that way!!!

Back