Stock shock adjustment.

DEMMYM

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys got a question. ???

First let me start by saying I cut the shovel off the bike, No Undertail.

The Bike is stretched 6 1/2" with Extensions.

I noticed the rear tire has been rubbing the underneath side on heavy acceleration. :banghead:

??? Looking at the stock shock I notice two slotted rings, My question is to tighten the shock to allow less travel these turn down correct. ???

My thoughts, Bike on stand to release pressure on shock, Loosen top ring maybe 1 turn to the left ( up ), Then turn bottom ring to the right ( Down )

Will this tighten the shock up, and if so how much do you think I should turn the Bottom ring.

I understand I may have to go with a stiffer shock, But I would like to try this first if possible, Just want to make sure Im looking at it correctly.

Yep, those slotted rings are your adjustments. The top ring is a locking ring and the bottom ring is the one that adjusts the ride height (Preload)

No matter which way you turn the adjuster it will make no difference in the shock travel. There is no way to adjust the travel. Turning the adjuster ring clockwise will compress the spring and raise the rear of the bike which will give you a bit more travel on the down stroke but will decrease the same amount on the up stroke.

If I remember correctly, you have about 10mm of travel to play with from one extreme to the other. Be careful not to compress the spring to much to the point your shock is topped out when you are not on the bike. You should have a minimum of 5mm of free travel under the weight of the bike without rider.

Swingarm extensions along with lowering links create more problems with suspension than most people realize. I made a statement on a thread once that a stretched and slammed busa rides like a turd. My crisp description seemed to offend many busa inthusiast so I have since refrained from such direct use of the english language. However, I will say you have an entire list of suspension challenges you must overcome to reach a fundamentally sound ride! :beerchug:

Think that said it all, and good luck on the suspension and finding your keys :whistle:

That says everything except the fact that putting the bike on a rear stand won't take the tension off the spring. If you want the tention off the spring the rear tire needs to be hanging freely with nothing underneath it. Putting it on the stand is just like it being on the ground except the bike is a lot more stable on the stand.

Adjusting the rear shock might help a little but only if you are the size of a jockey. And there is only like half an inch max you can get out of adjustign it. Your better off increasing the compression but then you get a hard ride. Until you get some $$ for a new spring or different shock the stretch and rub may be a recurring problem for you.

I just went thru this myself. I stretched my bike 5" with extensions, tried 6" first but did not like how much clearance I lost due to the wheel being further away from the wheel well.

In order to get some of my clearance back I purchased one of the aluminum inner fenders from tiger racing for $119. That easily allowed me to lower my bike one inch in the rear and gained about four or five inches of clearance between tire and undertail. But then you loose the turn signals because there is no plastic body for the lights to mount on so I bought some smoked led turn signals for $33. If you want I can take a pic when I get done with night shift tonight.

That is usually a problem, you mod one thing and create three other issues that need to be dealt with. But now when I am launching at the drag strip it is hella fun and getting faster every trip.

Adjusting the rear shock might help a little but only if you are the size of a jockey. And there is only like half an inch max you can get out of adjustign it. Your better off increasing the compression but then you get a hard ride. Until you get some $$ for a new spring or different shock the stretch and rub may be a recurring problem for you.

I just went thru this myself. I stretched my bike 5" with extensions, tried 6" first but did not like how much clearance I lost due to the wheel being further away from the wheel well.

In order to get some of my clearance back I purchased one of the aluminum inner fenders from tiger racing for $119. That easily allowed me to lower my bike one inch in the rear and gained about four or five inches of clearance between tire and undertail. But then you loose the turn signals because there is no plastic body for the lights to mount on so I bought some smoked led turn signals for $33. If you want I can take a pic when I get done with night shift tonight.

That is usually a problem, you mod one thing and create three other issues that need to be dealt with. But now when I am launching at the drag strip it is hella fun and getting faster every trip.

Would really appreciat a picture of the aluminum inner fender,

Of course you know I am more than ready to turn a wrench on Misty, just tell me what we need to do. :laugh: I am charging my drill now. :cheerleader:

You should talk to Daniel at cloud 9 motorsports.503 663-3278. I had the same problem and then he hook me up. Good Dude.:thumbsup:

Took a while but here are the pics. As you can see it is a aluminum sheet perfectly cut out and forms to all the bends and bolt holes. You loose some storage space and gain clearance.

toptail.jpg

bottomtail.jpg

sidetail.jpg
[/IMG]

also u can look at the catalyst racing undertail i looks way sweet and imo better than the tiger racing one let me get a pic for u

Back