UPDATE:  Found my coolant leak

omslaw

Michelle owns my Busa
Staff member
Administrator
So today was really nice outside - I cleaned the garage and around noon, got the Busa on the lift and started to tear her down...

For those who may not know, I've been hunting down a coolant leak for 4 years now! I've taken the head out twice already, have had it checked and decked - cylinders, too! Well, it's still leaking!
pissed.gif
I *know* it's leaking into #2 - I've seen the condensation in #2 throttle body. - also leakdown test confirms this.

OK - so back today, I get it all apart and find this in #2 - again, it was expected:

cylinder1.jpg

I start poking around some more and guess what I find on one of the intake valves??

valve1.jpg

Yup - you got it, that's Engine Ice ON TOP of one of the intake valves!!! Now, I'm no expert, but I can think of only ONE way that it got there....and that's a crack up there!

This seems to explain why my oil isn't getting contaminated - it burns off - and what is there just sits until I start her up again!

So, unless someone can find the crack and fix it - I think I'm gonna need anudda head!
crazy.gif

Anyone got a known-good head??

Not sure if this is what ur lookin for slaw...

But here ya go!

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Suzuki-Hayabusa-stock-engine-cylinder-head_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQihZ016QQ
itemZ260214928620QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;">Head on fleBay</a>

so how much water have you been leaking? normally water will clean all the carbon off the combustion chamber and leave is shiny new looking.. that hole does not look any cleaner than the others..

Yeah, problem is finding someone locally to do it.

Omar, it is too late now but they make a UV dye that goes into the cooling system. You then scan the thing with a short wave length blacklight to spot the dye... I have the light unit you are welcome to borrow if you end up going back together with this thing.

Thanks, Randy - I'll keep that in mind. But, I'd rather NOT put her together until I know it's fixed. This is the third time I've pulled the engine to fix this and I hope it can be the last...

not sure this is available for your bike head but check around with some machine shops.. some have a "flat plate" they can bolt on the head, and pressure check for leaks.. I have used these a few times over the years on high dollar heads..

If you can not find one local let me know..

Oh usually runs $40-50

I took the head and cylinders to get checked last year. They said they found no leaks but found the head was warped .005". So, I had the head decked and put her all back together. First ride I took she was still leaking!
banghead.gif

Obviously - they missed something!

I think your on the right track now. I don't know of any other way for coolant to get there without a crack in the head. Sorry I get tied up today getting Mary off to New Zealand, I wanted to come out and help you.

hmm... sounds like a pain, maybe the busa dr can help ya out
rock.gif

Hopefully this will be the last time you have to take her apart!

My engine builder is selling a good head that has already been ported and polished. I don't know alot about head work but it's suppose to be one of the best around. He asking 1400.00 I think? If you want me to ask more about it let me know. Or I can give you their # IF your even thinking of going this route
beerchug.gif

Wow... lots of work into that troubleshooting!

Check psychobike.org or suzukihayabusa.org

I thought i saw a couple stock heads on there. Hey, why not do a ported head and some cams? I also have a bud with a ton of parts, i'll check to see for any good used Busa heads.

My engine builder is selling a good head that has already been ported and polished. I don't know alot about head work but it's suppose to be one of the best around. He asking 1400.00 I think? If you want me to ask more about it let me know. Or I can give you their # IF your even thinking of going this route
beerchug.gif
Thanks for the heads-up. I don't think the Boss (wifey) will go for that, unfortunately.
sad.gif
I've thought about it, but she always manages to think that our kids hafta eat
pillepalle.gif

Check psychobike.org or suzukihayabusa.org

I thought i saw a couple stock heads on there. Hey, why not do a ported head and some cams? I also have a bud with a ton of parts, i'll check to see for any good used Busa heads.
Thanks, Paul. I was actually gonna contact you to see if you had one or had a line on one. I'm looking to stay stock - would love to port/polish, but wifey won't go for that $$.

Yeah, looked at Psychobike and SH earlier this evening. There were some really nice, complete heads, but they went QUICK! Sure would be nice to get complete so I (hopefully) don't hafta re-shim!

Lemme know!

My engine builder is selling a good head that has already been ported and polished. I don't know alot about head work but it's suppose to be one of the best around. He asking 1400.00 I think?  If you want me to ask more about it let me know. Or I can give you their # IF your even thinking of going this route
beerchug.gif
Thanks for the heads-up.  I don't think the Boss (wifey) will go for that, unfortunately.  
sad.gif
 I've thought about it, but she always manages to think that our kids hafta eat  
pillepalle.gif
laugh.gif
That is exactly why I passed

i hope this time fixes your problem, you have been through enough with this to last for a while...can't wait to see you back up and running without any issues
beerchug.gif

Back