GPS

Scarecrow

Registered
Hi Gang
As a newby I just wondered if anyone had
a GPS unit on the bike and if so what kind and where/how is it mounted?
Thanks
beerchug.gif

best mounts I have seen are either the Techmounts (which I sell) or the ram-mount system. They both have there good sides and bad.

Lots of people on the board are using both. Im using the techmount of course, when Im using the GPS that is.

Im sure someone will chime in with a pic soon enough.

Josh

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 a few weeks ago. It's small enough that it fits nice with 2 small bungies over the top plate (where it reads Hayabusa) and the raised chrome bolt caps keep it from moving left and right. A stem mount or tank mount are other options. I have a tank mount I use for my camera, but I find the GPS easier to see up by the gauges.
I used it on a road trip two weeks ago and it was incredible. I found kickass roads that I never knew existed. I rode about 50 miles out into twisty, heavily wooded hills getting myself thoroughly lost. Turned it on, clicked on my hotel and it got me back in no time.

It's a standard size touch screen but it's very thin compared to most other models. It'll fit in your shirt pocket. Internal batteries will keep it powered well over 5 hours and it can be recharged with the car adapter or through a USB port. Recalculations and detours are instant. On max volume I can hear the voice prompts up to 40 mph with my helmet on. Screen never gets washed out from sunlight and it always has a good signal even inside my house. If you want to take a scenic route home you can tell it to avoid highways or toll roads.
For finding any address, it's dead on accurate and will get you right in their driveway.
I haven't tried it yet but there's some kind of option that warns you of speed cameras. I think you download from a collective database and it'll tell you when you are in a danger zone.

My only complaints are that it does not have a headphone jack and even though it has the 2008 road maps, some newer highway modifications made within the last 6 months are not on it. I80 to 394 ramp in IL is one and 6 Points in Indianapolis is another.

Since there are so many units to choose from you need to search for reviews. Beware of some models that have extra gimicks like MP3 and video players...many suck when it comes to being an actual GPS.

cnet review Nuvi
It's come down in price from the $400. I paid $250 at Circuit City. Plus another $100 off thanks to my Speedy Rewards gas station points.
smile.gif

i use a magellan explorist 500 its about 150 bucks and is water proof and u can always use it when ur hiking or take it with u

DSCF0205.JPG

I had a tomtom, but got wet, I guess way to many times. Just died on me. I made my own mount with two 90 degree brackets and bolted them to my brake mstr cylinder. I have a Nuvi also. Just using strong velcro and it works good. Miss my TomTom though, it was much better.

Cheap azz Garmin, bunji strapped to the tree with a towel under it for vibration.

Max_Speed.jpg

Magellan roadmate 2200T on a Tech mount works real sweet also use it in the semi as well..
super.gif

no problems at all plus u can use directroute with it here is a test link :
http://www.maps-gps-info.com/gp-rvw-mag-xplr500.html

i got mine off of ebay and i checked now they are going for 115 to 145 ish the ram mount is 40 with all hardware any other questions feel free to message me :: i like the small size cuz it fits inmy shirt pocket if i need to take it with me
beerchug.gif

TomTom One here, all touch screen, works with gloves (except typing in letters, of course), and on loud can hear voice commands with ear plugs in.

Great unit, sub $200 now...

Tom5.JPG

Mine was mounted like Rhythm's using the same ball. I had to move it to install the GPR Steering Stabilizer.

gps1.jpg

gps2.jpg

gps3.jpg

gps4.jpg

gps5.jpg

gps6.jpg

Back