AITS SENSOR RELOCATION MOD

Cookie

Registered
For those of you that are still out on how to perform the AITS RELOCATION.

Here is a step by step;
mod_aits_01.jpg

"What is the AITS sensor?

A little heat dependent resistor what is measuring the air temperature inside the airbox. When you are travelling a lot in queues it is possible that the AITS sensor will heat up because of the heat of the engine. This will effect the fuel/air ratio.

The result is stumble, low speed stutter, a bad running engine.

On the highway or with normal driving this problem will not occur, it's only because of heat coming up from the engine at low speeds.

To solve the problem there is a simple solution; take the AITS sensor out of the airbox, make a hole on the left ramair tube and install the AITS sensor on the ramairtube.

The temperature of the air in the ram air tubes is the same as in the airbox, and the heat of the engine will not affect the sensor anymore."

mod_aits_02.jpg

"We start with the modification. You have to take out the airbox, same procedure as with the airbox modification. Once taken out you can see the AITS sensor on the left side on the bottom, with the green connector.

Take the AITS sensor carfully out and use a shortened 3/4" bolt to seal the hole in the airbox. Install the airbox, that part of the job is ready.

The new place for the AITS sensor will be on the left side on the ramairtube, just a few centimetres behind the relay. You have to take away the bodywork on the front an the leftside of the bike to come there. Take care, don't scratch it!

Before you make a hole in the ramairtube, be sure that there is enough place for the bodywork with the AITS sensor mounted on. I used a soldering tip to make the hole. I put the AITS sensor in the hole and used some 'one for all' black silicone as glue.

The cable to the AITS sensor is not long enough, so you have to cut the wires somewhere in the middle and solder two wires of about 40 cm's in between.

Take care that you soldered it nice and sealed it enough to be sure it will not make any contact to the frame or whatelse. I used shrink to seal it, but ducktape will also do the job.

When the silicone is dry, put the connector on the AITS sensor and install the bodywork again. Check if you didn't forget any screws and go for a drive. You will find out that queues are not a problem anymore!"

I myself have used the embedded bolt that holds the sensor into the airbox to fasten to the ramair. I simply took a destroyed airbox and Dremeled the bolt out of it. Good luck finding another bolt to fashion to the sensor. The thread pattern is very obscure.

I hope this helps those that have never heard of this mod or at least wondered.

I would like to thank Fast Sjonny for his text and photos.

I definitely notice the difference in stop and go traffic, i.e., in the city, in the middle of the summer.

I'm not a drag racer, but the ones that I don't know that do drag also notice the difference. Especially between "Hot Laps".

This mod had been around since, somewhere in 2000 when all the mods were being discovered.

By a PM'd request,,, I just helped revitalized it.

Cookie !!! How you been?? Cool mod , I might have to do that this summer.

Cool ! Check out the northwest posts in the geografic section. We all try to keep in touch there for rides .

i notice that my bike cuts out if I hold the RPM around 5000 for couple seconds then gun it
Is this normal ? Could this mod solve it ?

And I thought I was done modding my Modded airbox...lol - when does it ever end, thanks for the tip.
wink.gif

Cookie, not to take anything away from your pics, but man I love when Jinkster post's his step by step picture tutorial. Awesome photos and input Jinkster...man this place is great
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Just when you thought you have seen it all. I love the safety, and performance mods.

I wonder if radio shack has the connectors? Do you no what gauge wire that is? turn it to plug and play. Is it ok for that sensor to get wet when riding in the rain storm

I'd like to do this, but none of your pics are showing up. They are all just red x's and granted, this thread has been dead since 2011, I'd still like to know more about it

I'm going to be installing some T-Rex sliders so I need to pull the fairings. Thinking I might do this while I'm in there. Have had good luck with IAT sensor relocation on other vehicles in the past.

OK, I see that things have changed between gen 1 and gen 2. The sensor is now a mickey mouse plastic thing with ears to mount it. I think I'll leave it for the time being.

Back