FP Tactical lever problem.

m_ridgeway

pipeline trash
Donating Member
Registered
i installed my fp tactical bi-folds for the gen2 the other day. the brake lever is OK, it touches slightly at lock but not enough to engage the lever. the clutch is worthless. on the closest setting it wont even throw enough to trip the safety switch, on the farthest setting it wont disengage the clutch completely.

does anyone else have this problem?

Either the lever needs adjustment (not by the one on the lever) or you have a bad lever. I have heard of having to adjust the mounting of levers before hopefully this is your case. :thumbsup:

This may seem like a dumb question, but did you pull the round plug out of the stock lever and put it in the hole on the FP's. Mine did the exact thing because I did forget.

Put your stock one back on and see if the problem persists if it does then you know the culprit.

thats what i did, worked before with stock lever, installed fp lever, adjusted it, the proble arose, then reinstalled stock and now it works fine.

This may seem like a dumb question, but did you pull the round plug out of the stock lever and put it in the hole on the FP's. Mine did the exact thing because I did forget.

yea i pulled the brass plug out and put it in the fp lever, made sure it was lined up twice

Last edited:
You dont have the brass insert from your stock lever installed correctly!

Have the same "problem" with mine but I wouldn't fix it for the world. I normally keep the adjuster set to 4 which works great for me. Then when I get off the bike I flip the adjuster switch to one and use it as a kill switch to stop the screw driver thieves from driving away on my bike. :beerchug: :thumbsup:

I'm sure it wasn't designed this way but I like it. :laugh:

i took my stocker off and reinstalled the fp lever, 3rd time, it feels better somewhat? ill test it again tomorrow and see what the deal is.

I have the same problem. It's in the design of the Perch; the tip where the clutch pin touches is just a few mm too short. FP is aware of it and is working on a new perch. Contact them and I'm sure they will send you one as they want a good name in the industry. I have both a set of Pazzo's and FP's and the Pazzo's don't have same problem. You can even put them side by side and see the difference.

Here is some email traffic from FP racing that will explain and contact info:
---------------------------------------

Keith,

We spent the day dealership hopping….
We had some interesting results.

I wanted to be sure that the part I was sending you was correct.

We verified the dimensions to the Solid model and we do have the correct parts in stock.

Here is where it gets interesting.

We test fitted 21 motorcycles.

Mostly 03-09 Hayabusas with some GSXR1000 05-08 models mixed in.

Of the 21 bikes our part worked on 16 of these bikes. The really interesting part is that on more than one occasion the part worked on one model and year but not on the same model and year at a different dealership. This is obviously casting tolerances. We need to make our part so that it accounts for all of these variations.

Because it is not a safety issue we will continue to sell the remaining stock we have on hand. However the engineering group is working on a new CAM output for the machine to correct all future runs of the C01 so that it will engage the clutch switch in position 1.

Since this part won’t have any better results on your bike than the one you have I will not send this one out. What I will do is send you one of the new C01 perch blocks once they have been manufactured.

Unfortunately I don’t know when that will be just yet. The Cam will be finished tomorrow and placed in the Que for fabrication. I will contact you when they are ready to ship.

As for the parts you have rest assured this is not a safety issue and will not affect the performance of the clutch itself. The simple work around is to start the bike in positions 2-6.

Mike
FP Racing, Inc
Engineering Group
1-877-FP-LEVER ext 4
FP Racing Tactical Bi-Folding Levers

i sent tim a message, since i bought these from him, no response. this whole deal has kinda left me dissapointed, if i wouldve known there was a problem i would not have purchased them. i wouldve bought a new clutch lever that i needed.

i just sent fp an email. hopefully they make it right.

i sent tim a message, since i bought these from him, no response. this whole deal has kinda left me dissapointed, if i wouldve known there was a problem i would not have purchased them. i wouldve bought a new clutch lever that i needed.

I have been reading along with this thread this am & thinking about it. It was my 08 that was used in the design work of these levers. I have both the long bi-fold & the shorty that doesn't fold that were designed. I use them both in a street manor & racing manor I have had Zero issues. With the bike @ stock height & lowered still no issues.

Mike the man who designed these stands behind his work 100% I am sure you will be satisfied.

As we all have seen in production there are time we tolorances become off not intentionally but it happens.

I am confident after the issue is resolved you will enjoy these levers more so than any others on the market. That is my opion.

I had this issue w/ my FP clutch lever as well. I had to adjust out a few settings to get the bike to fire up, then I just adjust it back two clicks to where I like it for my hand.

:dunno: ....works for me.....I'm not to upset about it. I love the levers.

I did have email traffic with Tim about it, who suggested I talk to FP which I did and kept him in the loop. As you can see from FP's email, the tolerance is SO CLOSE that it works with some, but not other bikes. I think if we ask FP nicely, they will give those that have the issue a new perch to correct. I've been running mine in position 2 so my bike starts, but every once in a while it slips to position 1 inadvertantly which I would like to correct. However, great way to keep someone from riding off on your bike!

Matt, running a little behind on emails & pm's right now, it's very the very height of the season right now, apologies there, but I'm always here. Not everyone that has the FP's has this same problem, it would be unusual if the levers hardly worked at all or couldn't engage the kill switch in any position. Not engaging the kill switch is position one however is a common issue, my set of Pazzos also kills the motor on position one so it's not exclusive to FP.

As Keith mentioned above, when you have a technical/fitment/install issue with a product, we always suggest you call or contact the manufacture right away. Chances are they are familiar with it and have a work around or an improvement to a part in the works. Mike (at FP) comments below on just how different each bike can be (of the same model & year even). You've already contacted them so possibly Mike can give us an update to see if they've altered the milling of the perch to try and compensate for that 25% of bikes could have different tolerances.

Of the 21 bikes our part worked on 16 of these bikes. The really interesting part is that on more than one occasion the part worked on one model and year but not on the same model and year at a different dealership. This is obviously casting tolerances. We need to make our part so that it accounts for all of these variations.

my bike wont start till setting 3 now. it lunges with the starter on that setting. so its not really ready to start until setting 4. i guess they work. but they do not work well. i paid more for these levers than i would have stock ones, and they have less functionality.

buyer beware.

my bike wont start till setting 3 now. it lunges with the starter on that setting. so its not really ready to start until setting 4. i guess they work. but they do not work well. i paid more for these levers than i would have stock ones, and they have less functionality.

buyer beware.

It's an aftermarket product, anytime you purchase a non OEM product, you open yourself up to have subtle issues on some level.

If you're not happy w/ 'em...talk to the retailer and ask for your money back or an exchange. I'm sure they'll be more then happy to work w/ you.

It's an aftermarket product, anytime you purchase a non OEM product, you open yourself up to have subtle issues on some level.

If you're not happy w/ 'em...talk to the retailer and ask for your money back or an exchange. I'm sure they'll be more then happy to work w/ you.

this isnt a "subtle" issue with me. im talking with fp right now. tim already posted above i should talk to them.

i doubt a refund will happen as they are engraved.

kinda weird how everyone is ok with a part having less function than the stock piece, just cause it looks cool.

this isnt my first time to deal with aftermarket, wont be the last, but for nobody to have a problem with this, is kinda amazing to me. no info on here about it either.

theres has been two group buys on this product. and no info about the range of adjustment being limited.

im ok with the slight touching at lock with the brake lever. and the fact it cant be on setting 6 because i wouldnt put it there anyway. it has full function and can be adjusted a little in and out from where i use it. but the clutch side is just ridiculous.

this isnt a "subtle" issue with me. im talking with fp right now. tim already posted above i should talk to them.

i doubt a refund will happen as they are engraved.

kinda weird how everyone is ok with a part having less function than the stock piece, just cause it looks cool.

this isnt my first time to deal with aftermarket, wont be the last, but for nobody to have a problem with this, is kinda amazing to me. no info on here about it either.

theres has been two group buys on this product. and no info about the range of adjustment being limited.

im ok with the slight touching at lock with the brake lever. and the fact it cant be on setting 6 because i wouldnt put it there anyway. it has full function and can be adjusted a little in and out from where i use it. but the clutch side is just ridiculous.

The slight touch at lock is not cool, however if you search the board you will see a ton of posts on how early model Pazzos were touching mid turn for some people! That is when I'd "have a problem" w/ something. As that could lead to potential safety issues.

I don't think it's a matter of whether or not we're "ok with it"....as much as you're really the 1st I've read about that has said anything or the issue seems to be more pronounced with.

The slight touch at lock is not cool, however if you search the board you will see a ton of posts on how early model Pazzos were touching mid turn for some people! That is when I'd "have a problem" w/ something. As that could lead to potential safety issues.

I don't think it's a matter of whether or not we're "ok with it"....as much as you're really the 1st I've read about that has said anything or the issue seems to be more pronounced with.

my slight touch at lock wont even actuate the brake light or apply any braking pressure. and it only happens enough to move the lever on setting 6. still not enough to apply any pressure.

ive seen those older threads about the pazzos and thats why i did not buy them. even though it seems to be a 50/50 shot at whether people have a problem or not.

Back