Update to my Dupont Chain Lube thread.

mike1180

Banned
Update to my Dupont Chain Lube thread.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...06-changed-my-chain-lube-results-opinion.html

So here is the chain (8000 total miles on it) after a month or so of lubing it (2500 miles) with the Dupont Teflon Multi Use Dry Wax Lubricant.
I first wipe off the old dirt with a paper towel on a warm chain, and then use about ¼ of a can of Dupont to wash off the chain and leave it on, and it leaves the waxy film (as seen in the pics).
I do this after every ride.
I take the can and spray liberally while slowly turning the wheel for 2 full revolutions of the chain.
I guess my days of having to ever clean the chain are over.
It looks as good as when I do a full cleaning.
4 lubes for about $5 USD is $1.50 a time and no more cleaning.

Chain 1.JPG

Chain 1a.JPG

Chain 2.JPG

Chain 2a.JPG

It's all I used when I was active? I also hosed the chain down. Good stuff!

9-18 07 oil change 041.jpg

036121191570.jpg

Went to Lowes sunday to see if they carried it and found it. When the chain wax is gone thats what I'll be tryin next.

I'm using it now and only relube (which also cleans) every three hundred miles. Works very well and is super easy! Takes a whopping 5 minutes max.

Great looking chain, thanks for the input. I have been doing alot of reading and research on that stuff and have all come back positive. I just have not made it to lowes to look for it. But then again I havent riden my bike in like 3 weeks due to surgery.

i am useing that also... mixed feelings about it. ... it still slings bad. had to relube once i got to kevins' house. he let me clean and lube with what he uses. i did the ride and then the 4 hr run home and tooling around town since. 2 weeks later... still lubed up good. kevin what was that stuff?

i am useing that also... mixed feelings about it. ... it still slings bad. had to relube once i got to kevins' house. he let me clean and lube with what he uses. i did the ride and then the 4 hr run home and tooling around town since. 2 weeks later... still lubed up good. kevin what was that stuff?

Slings bad? What's to sling? Spray on, wipe off excess, let dry...I've never had anything sling using the DuPont stuff.

I would wonder if this stuff does anything to the O-rings (read multiple thread arguments about WD-40).....

Ok, went and read the WBW article, and they've got it at the local Lowes (gotta go there today anyway); worth trying thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the update Mike. I'm currently using the Maxima Chain wax and like it. But I may give the Dupont a try next.

However i feel doing it after every ride is a bit excessive. 300 mile mark seems sufficient.

Every three hundred miles is fine and I spray it on pretty heavy so the run off carries all the dirt with it. You will have a nice dirt spot under the bike when your done. Then let your bike sit over night and Presto! you are ready to ride again. You can go more than three hundred if you want. A good soaking every six hundred will do the trick too. Most people have WAY, WAY too much gunk on their chain, so it picks up massive amounts of dirt. Also, it is 100% O-ring safe.

I cleaned my chain once and relubed it with Maxima, the next cleaning was way too much work, so I jumped on the Dupont band wagon and the stuff flat out works! But, you have to get used to your chain looking much cleaner than it would with the heavy lubes.

I was using Silkoleen ProLube last year. It does basically the same thing, but lasts longer. I had two 350+ riding days back to back and the chain still looked pretty clean and still wet from the lube. It can sling if you don't wipe off the excess. I might try the dupont lube when the ProLube runs out, but that might be a while. A $13 can lasts me for a few months of active riding.

Back