Metzler M1 problems

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Just in case Metzler sees this I want everyone to know what a pathetic expericence I have had with the M1. I put a new tire on the bike on Wed before I left for the Stampede. By no means did we "tear up" the asphalt on the way to Carson City but I can tell you that 1700 miles into the trip, roughly 6 days after the new tire was put on I had to go to a dealer in Reno and have another new tire put on. When a dealer hears your story and says "No way, that tire should last a lot longer than that no matter what" it doesn't make you feel any better when paying for the new tire. Guess what the dealership in Reno had? Yep they cut me a great deal on another Metzler M1 which lasted me all the way back home (about 1700 more highway miles) and now I need another back tire. I put way more mileage in the Michelin Pilots and they were even sticker in the corners.

I will never own another Metzler and I will continue to post what a pathetic return on investment they were until I get my money refunded from them.

Cap

Last edited:
Preach on brother! I have about 1500 miles on my new storms and loving them so far. I will sing the praises until I have reason to do otherwise. Note to self: Dont buy BT-021's or Metzler M1's.

Thanks for posting up about the Metzlers, sorry you got stuck with not one but two!

I had M1's on my 04 k1 and they where like ridding on crazy glue but mileage was in the gutter, but I never took the k1 on long rides

I'm new around here and sorry first off to hear of your M1 plight.

I ran several sets of M1 in the 120/70 190/50 size and had good results. While the M1 isn't a Power One, or PDCIII it was a very predictable tire for me. I even got 4,200 miles out of a rear. I could depend on getting at least 3,000 miles out of it. With the average being around 3,400 miles.

Feel free to talk with Scar about my riding style and habits. I would classify myself as a pretty aggressive canyon rider. I know people that ride R1's can't be trusted. But trust me when I tell you I have no reason to make up this post.

While the M1's never put up the amount of grip the PDCIII's did, they would warn you when you were getting close to exceeding what they would do at full lean. They could have had better grip in the wet, but lets face it in SoCal almost nobody rides in the rain. Only nut jobs like me.

Couple of questions: Did you happen to take notice when the tires were made? Older rubber tends in my limited experience to not hold up as well as a tire that is more or less freshly minted. Case in point on my first set of Dunlop D210's that came on my '03 R1. The bike with the OEM tires from the factory landed at my door with 1146 miles on them. At about 2,500 miles they were toast with the cords showing through the center. That was the first 1350 miles I had ever ridden on a sport bike and hence didn't understand the importance of checking the wear bars more closely. Point being that the rubber was old hard and came off like quickly. If the tire was made the day it was installed it would be three years old by the time I got a chance to ride it.

Could you check the date your tires were made? I'd be interested to see if this is the case.

Recommend you not buy the M1 again. If you like Metzler the M3's are better. For me the PDCIII's and Power One are now where it's at.

Others that put up heavy mileage and still want decent grip on the lean angle have run Mich Pilot Power Road 2CT's with dependable mileage.

BTW: www.sportbiketrackgear.com is currently running special pricing on Mich tires of all makes.

All the best.

-Gilman

I ran several sets of M1 in the 120/70 190/50 size and had good results. While the M1 isn't a Power One, or PDCIII it was a very predictable tire for me. I even got 4,200 miles out of a rear. I could depend on getting at least 3,000 miles out of it. With the average being around 3,400 miles.

Feel free to talk with Scar about my riding style and habits. I would classify myself as a pretty aggressive canyon rider. I know people that ride R1's can't be trusted. But trust me when I tell you I have no reason to make up this post.

While the M1's never put up the amount of grip the PDCIII's did, they would warn you when you were getting close to exceeding what they would do at full lean. They could have had better grip in the wet, but lets face it in SoCal almost nobody rides in the rain. Only nut jobs like me.

Couple of questions: Did you happen to take notice when the tires were made? Older rubber tends in my limited experience to not hold up as well as a tire that is more or less freshly minted. Case in point on my first set of Dunlop D210's that came on my '03 R1. The bike with the OEM tires from the factory landed at my door with 1146 miles on them. At about 2,500 miles they were toast with the cords showing through the center. That was the first 1350 miles I had ever ridden on a sport bike and hence didn't understand the importance of checking the wear bars more closely. Point being that the rubber was old hard and came off like quickly. If the tire was made the day it was installed it would be three years old by the time I got a chance to ride it.

Could you check the date your tires were made? I'd be interested to see if this is the case.

Recommend you not buy the M1 again. If you like Metzler the M3's are better. For me the PDCIII's and Power One are now where it's at.

Others that put up heavy mileage and still want decent grip on the lean angle have run Mich Pilot Power Road 2CT's with dependable mileage.

BTW: www.sportbiketrackgear.com is currently running special pricing on Mich tires of all makes.

All the best.

-Gilman

Excellent site! I have bought many items from them w/ zero problems.:thumbsup: Sorry to hear about the tires. I'm a Dunlop man myself. Love em!

Excellent site! I have bought many items from them w/ zero problems.:thumbsup: Sorry to hear about the tires. I'm a Dunlop man myself. Love em!

See, this just further goes to help point out what I was trying to say. Tires are alot like tooth paste. Everyone has a favorite flavor. I have only used 2 sets of Dunlop. The OEM tires that came on my '03 which were old and I should have just replaced before turning the key and my last set. The last set was again the OEM on the '09 which to me felt like rolling around on teflon coated Dunkin' Donuts. Tooth paste anyone?

Never run a M1 but I ran 2 sets of M3's.The 3"s can take a beating and get good milage.

That was my experience as well on both the M1 and M3. I liked the M3 over the M1. I like the PDCIII's over the M3 and I think I like the DOT Power One Med Compound for grip and feel over the PDCIII's. The jury is still out on the amount of mileage I can expect from them. I am going to run one more set without the track day involved to see where they stack up. Right now if I can get 3,300 or so miles out of PDCIII's and only 2,500 or so out of the Power One then I'll stick with the 3's because for 800 more miles the grip and feel of the Power One albit better isn't needed for what I can do on the 3's.

-Gilman

Cap, get ya some Michelin Pilot Road 2s, I dont think you will be dissapointed. :) My thread on them was posted a few posts up. 199 for the rear and 135 for the front is what i pay so look for some around that price, Im sure some of the board sponcers can hook you up. :)

Never cared for metzler tires not even on dirtbikes, michelins or bridgestones street, dunlop dirt :thumbsup:

Cap, you need to try the Pirelli Diablo Strada rear...you have ridden behind me enough to see how i ride, i weigh more than you plus often travel with luggage and i am still getting 6500+ miles out of the rear tire...i run it all of the time except when we are at Deal's Gap or if i decide to do a hard run by myself here locally...they also have great cold and wet weather grip...just my $.02 :beerchug:

i get them for $174.84 here ...btw, i run the Corsa III on the front all the time and am getting 9000+ miles out of it

Never had a problem with em, but haven't ran em in years. Don't doubt it though. But I have to argue that THE WORST tire is the bridgestone battlecrap Suzuki just won't get rid of! They wobble and dance through every curve. total garbage.

All the best.

-Gilman

Date code on the first one was '4107'...didn't get a chance to see the 2nd tire.

Back