Speed Cameras

yengese

Registered
A random online rabbit trail today ended up at speed cameras and how they are cropping up all over and they are inaccurate and being used by corrupt cities to raise revenue. Have any of you guys run across these things? Anybody received tickets while on their bikes? It kind of concerns me that if I am enjoying a momentary indescretion in the middle of nowhere that I might get a huge fine later in the mail.
I looked online for ideas to make the plate invisible to the cameras and it doesn't seem as if there is anything viable, but with the LPR technology it makes it a moot point.
What are your thouights?

We have some of them here, but I've never gotten a ticket from them. I have nearly pulled a stoppie on the 919 to avoid one though. The one time they almost certainly got my pic was when I had a Uhaul trailer behind the truck, so they couldn't get my tag number. Not sure about other cities, but here they just mail you a ticket for $50 with a pic of you running the light, but it doesn't go on your driving record. In my opinion, it's all about the money. A nearby city recently started taking their cameras down. They decided that the cameras were causing too many rear end collisions as a result of people slamming on the brakes to avoid a ticket.

Red light is one thing speed another. I see too many people running red lights. You can't go through any more with out looking 3 or 4 times.

I've got one before. It was just a fine, no points.

My father, and I just got back from a fishing trip in VA, and I saw signs saying "speed monitored by aircraft", now that would suck !!! I think I read here they see how long it takes you to drive/ride between 2 points, and give you a ticket for your average speed (I'd rather have that than nailed for your top speed).

I also heard NJ was going to check your time you got your ticket (to get on the turnpike), and then check the time you're getting off at an exit (where you pay the toll), and if you got there faster than you should have they would give you a ticket for your average speed.

We have some of them here, but I've never gotten a ticket from them. I have nearly pulled a stoppie on the 919 to avoid one though. The one time they almost certainly got my pic was when I had a Uhaul trailer behind the truck, so they couldn't get my tag number. Not sure about other cities, but here they just mail you a ticket for $50 with a pic of you running the light, but it doesn't go on your driving record. In my opinion, it's all about the money. A nearby city recently started taking their cameras down. They decided that the cameras were causing too many rear end collisions as a result of people slamming on the brakes to avoid a ticket.

Hey Daniel, they tell us where the speed cameras are, the thing we have to watch out for is that "broken down" white Econoline van with the high tech radar equipment in it:)

here in Central Florida specially in Orlando they are installing cameras in the most dangerous intersection to stop people from running the red light and also they increased the tickets to $201.50

I don't understand why people run red lights. I haven't witnessed that behavior myself where I live...unless we're talking about the occasional extra car or two that sneaks through the intersection during the light change.

Hey Daniel, they tell us where the speed cameras are, the thing we have to watch out for is that "broken down" white Econoline van with the high tech radar equipment in it:)

Man, you're not kidding about that. They finally put a big sign on the side of it though. It says something like Chattanooga Police Traffic Enforcement... somethin' like that. That thing sticks out like a sore thumb to me. A big white van parked diagonally to the road almost sitting in the outside lane... maybe they should ticket people for "distracted driving." Again, it may just be me, but I'm thinking if you don't see it ahead of time, you weren't paying enough attention to the road in the first place.

Oh, and to add to my first post... I didn't run the light on purpose. It was at Hwy 153 and Hamill Rd (Don you know what I'm talking about) and I looked away for a quick second. When I looked up I was too close to the intersection to stop safely while pulling a trailer. I know... still my fault. :spank:

Last edited:
Don't know if it works, but No More Red Light Camera Tickets. Make Your Car Invisible To Police Speed Cameras With Our License Plate Cover, PhotoBlocker Spray, Radar Detectors, GPS, GPS Camera Detectors. Got A Traffic Ticket? Don’t Pay Yet. We Can Help Fight Your Speeding

And trust me, if these cameras were innacurate, there would be major problems enforcing them in the courts. Trust me when I say that calibration documentation is well provided in these sort of instances.

I thought Mythbusters did an episode on ways to cover your license plate and they all failed or were illegal. I believe it was the same episode on how to beat a radar/laser gun. This was a few years ago though so I could have my facts wrong.

We have Speed cameras all over Phoenix....I mean they are everywhere, even on the interstate. Its no big deal, the put up three warning signs that tell you there is a speed camera ahead, everyone slows down at the last warning sign which says "300Ft ahead"
and speeds up again after it.

They also put mobile vans up but they also put a warning sign up about 1000 feet before the camera. If you get a photo ticket you are really not paying attention. And....they only take a picture if you are more than 11 mph over.

Urban legend.

I would guess that more than 90% of the cars registered in NJ that ride the NJ Turnpike and/or NJ Parkway speed. The potential enormous revenue that would be generated from such speeding tickets would bankrupt everyone. :laugh:

I also heard NJ was going to check your time you got your ticket (to get on the turnpike), and then check the time you're getting off at an exit (where you pay the toll), and if you got there faster than you should have they would give you a ticket for your average speed.

Not that I would ever try it, but I have often wondered how these cameras continue to evade the well-placed paint ball, LOL.

Man, you're not kidding about that. They finally put a big sign on the side of it though. It says something like Chattanooga Police Traffic Enforcement... somethin' like that. That thing sticks out like a sore thumb to me. A big white van parked diagonally to the road almost sitting in the outside lane... maybe they should ticket people for "distracted driving." Again, it may just be me, but I'm thinking if you don't see it ahead of time, you weren't paying enough attention to the road in the first place.

Oh, and to add to my first post... I didn't run the light on purpose. It was at Hwy 153 and Hamill Rd (Don you know what I'm talking about) and I looked away for a quick second. When I looked up I was too close to the intersection to stop safely while pulling a trailer. I know... still my fault. :spank:

I know it well that intersection is a nuisance, but I like to turn right there and follow the river home...

P1070462.jpg

Must be nice, Don... :poke:

At least you got my cooling towers in the shot :whistle:

We have them here but I have never been nabbed.

It is a fact that red light cameras have nothing to do with safety and are simply revenue generators and there are plenty of quotes from politicians who've asked for these systems to be installed stating this. If they wanted to reduce accidents all they have to do is make the red light last longer before the green light for the other traffic turns on.

If you have a newer GPS that you use on your bike you can download POI's (points of interest) and upload them to your GPS. Once uploaded your GPS can then be set to warn you before you approach a red light camera intersection. I have a Nuvi 255w.

As for active defense against them I remember reading about a device that detects the flash from the red light camera and reacts by flashing a bright light across your license plate to overexpose the red light camera. There are also license plate covers which appear clear to the eye but are polarized. You have to make sure covering your plate with anything is legal in your area.

Back