On Batteries - GenII in GenI

BayBusa

Registered
I have seen a lot of you post on problems with the battery and I must concur from my own experience that the battery in the hayabusa has been the worst performer of our batteries.

I have a Scorpio and a GiPro that 'drain' the battery - I added a switch to turn these off when parking in the garage. This solved my problems for a while, but even so, the GenI battery seems to be at it's end-of-life after two years: when the dealer noticed poor charging level's for my GenI battery, I decided for this solution:

Step 1: BatteryMinder Plus
Not affiliated (this is not meant as a product endorsement) - just that this gives the lowest cost option for desulphation and avoidance-of-overcharging option. Note that you need 12118 (AGM) and not 12117 (wet type) for 'constant plug in'.
(I am currently testing the desulphation on the GenI battery - see if it recovers)

Step 2: Upgrade the battery
This is a bit odd - as I could have just fitted a replacement battery, but see the attached pictures: I squeezed the GenII battery (YTX12-BS) in the GenI bay (YT12A-BS [OEM/Japan: FT12A-BS]). To make it fit properly, I should have dremeled out some of the seat-underside plastic, but it's less than 1/4" after you remove the 'bumper' - there seems to be enough give.
  • [This is really a 'downgrade' - the YT12A-BS was selected as a 'weight saver' (1lbs) versus the YTX12-BS. E.g. the GSXR1000 went from the 12A to the X12 in '05. The Busa went from the X12 to the 12A in '08].
Specs:
Battery Type: YTX12-BS
Voltage: 12
Capacity (Amp. Hrs.): 10
Dimensions: 6" x 3.4375" x 5.125"
Weight: 7.5 lbs.
Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 130mm
Metric Weight: 3.4 kg
Acid Volume: 0.6
Charging Current (Amps.): 1.2
C.C.A.: 180​
---
Battery Type: YT12A-BS
Voltage: 12
Capacity (Amp. Hrs.): 9.5
Dimensions: 6" x 3.4375" x 4.1875"
Weight: 6.3 lbs.
Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 105mm
Metric Weight: 2.8 kg
Acid Volume: 0.5
Charging Current (Amps.): 1
C.C.A.: 175​
As to all the extra wires: I have connections to the battery for the tender plug in, the switch for Scorpio and GiPro and also a standard cigarette-lighter adaptor (to plug in accessories).

Some pics below: notice that the GenII battery after adding of the electrolytes (prior to charging) already shows a higher voltage (12.55V) than my GenI battery does after a short ride (12.36V).

CIMG0456.JPG

CIMG0459.JPG

CIMG0468.JPG

CIMG0469.JPG

CIMG0470.JPG

CIMG0473.JPG

CIMG0481.JPG

Thanks for your research, those of us with Zumo's, detectors, electric clothing, etc. must keep up with this stuff! Raydog

Suffering bike fever here on the frozen East Coast today. Wanted to go play with the motorcycle, but all I could manage was to hook a charger up to the battery!

Step 1: BatteryMinder Plus
Not affiliated (this is not meant as a product endorsement) - just that this gives the lowest cost option for desulphation and avoidance-of-overcharging option. Note that you need 12118 (AGM) and not 12117 (wet type) for 'constant plug in'.
(I am currently testing the desulphation on the GenI battery - see if it recovers)
This is very good advice. The BatteryMinder is a terrific product that I have used to "rescue" quite a few batteries. Mine is the older 12117 model, but I've used it on plenty of sealed AGM batteries (in motorcycles and in my Miata), but I don't leave it hooked up continuously. Still, if you were to buy today, go for the 12118 as BayBusa recommends. Here's a link with good prices
BatteryMINDer Plus 12 VDC #12118 (AGM/OPTIMA) - 12118 - Battery - NavStore - Your Pro Marine Source - Detail
(note that I have never bought from this retailer.

If you want to upgrade for power, go with a YTZ12S (cca210, 8.1lbs, 11ah) or YTZ14S (cca230, 8.6lbs, 11.2ah). They are both only 5mm taller then the yt12a-bs. Which is still 20mm shorter then the ytx12-bs They weigh more, but that is why they pack more punch.

I have my trickle charger wired directly to my battery with a easy to connect plug under the hump. All I have to do is plug it up when I get home.

I use a Deltran Battery Jr. and have never had a problem with the battery in my 06. I also have batteries in my Hondas that are in their 6th year of service.:thumbsup: Must be doing something right.

what brand battery do you guys recommend? I run a gen1 with no accessories on it at this point, and only I am likely to add would be HIDs (maybe), maybe LED angel eyes, and maybe an LED glow kit....

The one I just bought from my local battery warehouse is leaking after a month, which frustrates me, and though i will get it replaced, I was wondering if there was a better option I could order online. Thanks.

Back