The DEFINITIVE ANSWER on K8, Genmar Riser and Helibar

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
After heavily researching this board regarding whether or not a helibar/riser combo would fit on a K8, I now have the DEFINITIVE ANSWER with pics.

A 3/4 Genmar Riser and Helibars WILL FIT a K8 with the Suzuki Touring windscreen; at Full-left lockout (to lock the handlebars) the brake fluid reservoir DOES barely touch the windscreen; however, given the ride comfort (I rode an hour without my hands leaving the bars, when before I could only make it about 5 minutes) is worth the potential of a new windscreen every 5 years. There is no way the touch could effect ride performance or a safety issue. It does not touch at full right lockout.

There has also been some question as to whether or not it would require new lines. I had the dealer install this mod, and asked them to specifically look at whether or not there was too much tension on the lines, even at full fork extension - and if it was too tight, go with the helibar only. They told me after install they could not see where it caused any unnecessary strain (which may help with any warranty claim later). I do not feel any tension that made me worry.

I DO NOT think this setup would work with either the stock windscreen or the thicker riser.

To compare, I am 47, about 5'10" and weigh 180 lbs. I hope this helps all the other members who have, as I, experienced discomfort issues while riding and want to mitigate as much as possible while still riding such an awesome product!

IMG_4025.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

Nice job! Any difference between the Genmars for the Gen2 vs the Gen1?

WITH Helibars or just Riser? I don't see how both could fit..

If you loosen the two bolts on the clamp and reposition the master cyclinder...you should be able eliminate the clearence issue.

I thought I would add my experience to this thread. I have Helibars on my 08. This weekend I added a set of 3/4 inch risers that I got from DR1300R(Doyle). His risers are very nicely done and they work on the 08 just fine.
I have the stock windscreen and everything worked out just fine. All stock lines and throttle cables worked out well. I have the exact same situation that skydivr has. At Full-left lockout (to lock the handlebars) the brake fluid reservoir DOES barely touch the windscreen There is no way the touch could effect ride performance or a safety issue. It does not touch at full right lockout. I tried moving the reservoir but it touches no mater where you put it.
I am 55 5'10" 180. Went for a 220 mile ride today and it was very good. The comfort was very good. I would not want any more rise.

Last edited:
I thought I would add my experience to this thread. I have Helibars on my 08. This weekend I added a set of 3/4 inch risers that I got from DR1300R(Doyle). His risers are very nicely done and they work on the 08 just fine.
I have the stock windscreen and everything worked out just fine. All stock lines and throttle cables worked out well. I have the exact same situation that skydivr has. At Full-left lockout (to lock the handlebars) the brake fluid reservoir DOES barely touch the windscreen There is no way the touch could effect ride performance or a safety issue. It does not touch at full right lockout. I tried moving the reservoir but it touches no mater where you put it.
I am 55 5'10" 180. Went for a 220 mile ride today and it was very good. The comfort was very good. I would not want any more rise.

Hey Samm good to hear everything worked out for you, and thank you for the props.. :bowdown:

That's Interesting Samm; that means that the space inside the stock screen and the touring screen must be identical in that area, and must either flare or extend closer to the rider. Still, more great info! Might as well catch up while I'm sitting here waiting for my 2nd coat of Zaino to dry!

Might as well catch up while I'm sitting here waiting for my 2nd coat of Zaino to dry!

I wanna see how your bike shiens with that stuff on it...:thumbsup:

Oh and um, Nice write-up, I am 6'4" but wonder sometimes if a set of bars would do me any better. Guess I'll find out as the Bash...

I thought I would give an update on my bike. I have now put on a Zero Gravity Double Bubble windscreen. I now have no clearance problems even at full lock in both directions. It is close but it does not touch.

Bump.

I did this mod today.

Stock lines reach OK.

Stock windscreen is fine.

DSC04242.jpg

Fantastically comfortable. It is amazing the difference 19mm makes.

If you are looking to make the Bus more comfy, this mod (with Helis) is a winner!

10 thumbs up.

:beerchug:

I'm 5'7" 150 lbs, i have my bike pretty slammed front and rear, am i still able to get the helibar mod even tho i have a new top triple tree with the forks sticking through? Since I'm short I'm assuming i probably dont need and spacers or bigger risers. Any input?

Thanks

Well I have a set of GenMar risers on the bench and already installed HeliBars with double bubble, so I guess now I have no excuses about installing the risers...thanks for the write up.

Bump.

I did this mod today.

Stock lines reach OK.

Stock windscreen is fine.

DSC04242.jpg

Fantastically comfortable. It is amazing the difference 19mm makes.

If you are looking to make the Bus more comfy, this mod (with Helis) is a winner!

10 thumbs up.

:beerchug:

I have the same set up now, it does work great, and with the stock windsheild. Much more comfortable:thumbsup:

Back