Gen 2 hump stuck, HELP!

animalrooster41

Registered
Ok, I have searched and can only find help for gen 1 on this subject. Anyhow, my hump is stuck and I can't see in to even know where to fish for the latch. I have the trunk mod and really don't want to carve up the bottom of my tupperware if possible. I can hear the latch moving when I turn the key. Help.

Pull the front seat, remove the 4 push pins that tie the two sections of the tail together and you should be able to reach in there and unlock it.

2011-04-13_18-54-34_261.jpg

Pull the front seat, remove the 4 push pins that tie the two sections of the tail together and you should be able to reach in there and unlock it.

This^
Look in there with a flashlight and you can see the latch.
Use a long flatblade screwdriver and push the latch arm towards the sprocket side of the bike.

Ya, Im still trying. I can see the ball When I turn the key on the end of the cable flopping around unhooked after the work I did. Do I push or pull? Its on the right side? Anyone have a picture of their trunk latch so I can see what Im up against?

Look at the right edge of the crossbar and you should see the latch mechanism. Push the latch and you should be set.

102_4938.jpg
Well, bummer, here is what I had to do. I can repair it some how im sure. In the future, for those that it happens to like me, here is what to do.
102_4945.jpg
The problem with going in from where the drivers seat is that the latch is high up and a black plastic bar on the bottom of the hump really prevents you from getting directly to the round aluminum latch.
102_4939.jpg
Best action is to go in from the right side. Go between the black metal upside down shaped latch and the gap in the plastic. As you can see, there is about a 1/2 inch gap there, use a long metal rod and put black electrical tape on the painted sides. Its a straight shot to the latch as nothing is in the way and its on the exact same level as the crack your going in.
102_4941.jpg
Here is another view from above, just push on the round aluminum latch towards the sprocket side, it pushes real easy. Hope this helps someone in the future. thanks everyone.

Measure twice and cut once :whistle: Glad you got it sorted.

If I had to do all that for that...I'd be pissed off enough to never do it again.

Ya, live and learn.:banghead: Now I get to install a new tupperware trash can, oh well. Atleast maybe I helped someone out with the picts for future screw ups like mine. You can see the cable still un hooked in the back ground from istalling my brake flasher.

Thank you very much animalrooster. This thread was very helpful.

I was able to reach the lock with my hand. It was necessary to remove the seat and the small panel that joins the tail with the 4 pushpins as shown in post #3 above. Best to reach in from the rear brake side of the bike. The soft plastic of the hump compartment can bent forward and the plastic bottom of the hump reached under. Insert hand palm up. Hump locking mechanism can be felt. It will make a clacking noise when you touch it. You will not be able to see a thing so it is all by feel. Find the cable bracket where the ball goes and push to the sprocket side. Small hands will be a big advantage here.

^^that post was not clearly written. I stuck my hand in from behind the front seat. I stood on the right (rear brake rotor) side of the bike. The gas tank prop is on the sprocket side of the bike and also, the latch is situated a little bit to the rotor side. I have my fuel modual on the rotor side of the trunk too.

Hey everyone, I know this is old but I just ran into the problem myself. I was in the situation with the hump, not the seat so the rule trick did not work. If by chance the cable ball is still attached to the bracket but the cable is out of the clip there is a pretty easy solution that i just did. I pulled the front seat and put a light in there so I could see where the cable was too grab it. You need to get a hook, go in through the helmet holder slot, hook and pull the cable tight and turn the key. I used the exhaust spring hook to pull and put tension on the cable. If the ball is out of the bracket, you may have a chance with some other tool to reach in and pull the latch but I'm not sure on that though.

20210826_195720.jpg

20210826_195627.jpg

20210826_200621.jpg

I have also had that seat cowl fitted up without the pull cable installed ... a couple of times lol . I just used a coat hanger wire , end shaped into hook like you said , and that little helmet slot with a torch light I forget exactly where . One time it happened while I was distracted talking to a smart arse mate of mine .... oh did that grinning idiot laugh .... lol , live and learn eh .

I have also had that seat cowl fitted up without the pull cable installed ... a couple of times lol . I just used a coat hanger wire , end shaped into hook like you said , and that little helmet slot with a torch light I forget exactly where . One time it happened while I was distracted talking to a smart arse mate of mine .... oh did that grinning idiot laugh .... lol , live and learn eh .

Only twice, pfffff...I've done it at least 3 times when I had the tail off, lol

Back