GEN 2 headlight mod

FlatlandBusa

Registered
Ever since I bought my GEN 2 and converted the high and low beams to HID's, I have disliked the high beam aiming at the trees when the low beam is adjusted high enough to be useful. I also did not like the high beam cut off on the bottom of the high beam.

I finally got up the nerve to try and do something about it.
IF YOU TRY THIS AND DESTROY YOUR HEADLIGHT ITS ON YOU!

Here is how, start to finish including removing the nose from the bike took me about 6 hours, the worst part of the entire project is removing the non hardening sealer from the groove in the plastic head light housing.

Remove the upper from the bike, and remove the headlight from the upper.

Carefully pry the head light lens from the black plastic back of the head light, it is held in with a nonhardening sealer. Take your time, I used a combination of screw drivers and a stiff bladed putty to separate the pieces.
DSC00694.jpg

Before starting this step note how many threads the silver pivot screw protrudes through the nut in the reflector.
Loosen the 2 adjuster screws and 1 pivot screws 2 turns at a time until the reflector is separated from the housing.
DSC00696.jpg

Remove the high beam/adjuster assembly from the low beam reflector.
During reassemble you will add 3 #6 flat washers to the screws on both sides of the high beam, between the adjuster assembly and the low beam reflector. This will aim the high beam lower in relation to the low beam.
DSC00697.jpg

Remove the high beam reflector from the adjuster bracket.
DSC00699.jpg

Remove the high beam lens from the adjuster bracket.
DSC00701.jpg

Here is a pic of the part of the casting that makes the high beam be cut off on the bottom.
DSC00702.jpg

Carefully remove the cut off deflector, it is cast as part of the adjuster assemble.
I used a small drill and a dremel tool to cut it out.
View from the front with cut off deflector removed.
DSC00703.jpg

View from the back with the cut off deflector removed.
DSC00704.jpg

Before starting reassemble scrape all the non hardening sealer out of the groove in the black plastic headlight housing. Also carefully scrape the non hardening sealer from the head light lens its self.

Reassemble the high beam and adjuster assembly.

Reassemble the high beam/adjuster assembly to the low beam reflector with 3 #6 flat washers on both screws between the adjuster housing and low beam housing on either side of the high beam reflector.

Put both bulbs back in and hook them up to power to check the aim of the high beam in relation to the low beam on a distant wall, adding or removing flat washers as needed.

Reassemble everything else in reverse order.

I used ultrablack silicone to seal the headlight lens back to the headlight housing filling the groove in the headlight housing about 1/2 full then pressing the lens in place until the catches in the headlight housing were engaged.

Reassemble headlight to upper and upper to bike and adjust the headlight as needed.

-John

That's a cool idea, as I agree 100% with the problem. Oger is a headlight guy here and he puts the headlight in the oven to get it apart easily. Maybe he'll post the temperature and time to help out anyone trying this. I may try it myself.
Do you have any(or can you take some)pics of the high and low beam at night. As those of us with HIDs know what they look like before this mod.
As you've mentioned, if I adjust my lowbeam to where it looks good, then the high beam is literally in the tree tops. If I adjust the high beam where it's good, then the low beam is useless. It's beam is scattered, full of shadows, and looks just like a Christmas tree on the road.
This's a really good idea!:thumbsup:

That's a cool idea, as I agree 100% with the problem. Oger is a headlight guy here and he puts the headlight in the oven to get it apart easily. Maybe he'll post the temperature and time to help out anyone trying this. I may try it myself.
Do you have any(or can you take some)pics of the high and low beam at night. As those of us with HIDs know what they look like before this mod.
As you've mentioned, if I adjust my lowbeam to where it looks good, then the high beam is literally in the tree tops. If I adjust the high beam where it's good, then the low beam is useless. It's beam is scattered, full of shadows, and looks just like a Christmas tree on the road.
This's a really good idea!:thumbsup:

I have not had a chance to take any pics yet, but have ridden several times at night and the high beam is better, it is still somewhat scattered, but the cut off on the bottom is gone and it is aimed lower.

Good writeup and pics, very helpful! Been thinking of putting in a HID CCFL Halo in the low beam position. Got all the parts sitting here.

This is good stuff, as I hate the beam pattern, and was thinking about taking the lamp apart. My only concern is the sealant used to put it back together. This is a high temp application, and they use special sealants for this like Butyl based stuff that is put on by a machine from the factory. Not sure I'd trust just any old sealant in the light assy.

200 degrees, 10 mins. works to put it back together too. set a towel on the oven rack so you don't get lines melted into your housing. go SLOW, so nothing breaks. put it back in the oven at the same temp for 5-8 minutes if it starts taking too long on disassembly. gonna be doing this sometime in october for a member on here. well, not this, but another retrofit.

That took a lot of guts to do! I too have the same issue with the high beam hitting the tops of trees... wish there was an easier way to accomplish this whole issue. I was thinking of changing the high beem HID back to a standard halogen but using a colored light, perhaps yelllow. This way I can use the high beam and although it wont light up the road it will look cool.

Em...wouldn't it be easier to simply admit this "upgrade" was a mistake and go back to the original?
???If you have HIDs and live outside of a city this mod will really help. The HID low beam is scattered if the high beam is aimed correct, and the high beam is literally in the treetops if the low is aimed up enough to be usable.
Being able to move the low beam up/the high beam down would be a big help.
It's a shame the beams can't be aimed independently from the factory.:beerchug:

Em...wouldn't it be easier to simply admit this "upgrade" was a mistake and go back to the original?

I live in the country and can see a very clear difference between the stock bulbs and HID. I am very happy with it, even though the beam projection is not perfect, it is 10 times better than the stock lighting.

I have the HID high and low bulbs in mine and the high beam seems like I am coon hunting LOL. Like someone else said it is 100 times better then stock anyway. I am planning to try to fix it this fall. I will try to post what I can do to make it better

Took some time tonight to take a few pics of the lighting after the mod, the photos do not do justice, I tried several settings on the camera, sorry for the poor quality, (I'm not a photographer)LOL here they are any way.

These are with 50watt 6000k HID's.

Low beam only. It is adjusted so I only get "flashed" ocasionally Edge of light is approx. 150-175 yards away.
DSC00720.jpg

High beam only. The reflectors in the photo are approx. 1/4 mile away and the road was visibly lit to them.
DSC00719.jpg

High and low together.
DSC00718.jpg

Reactions: Zee
I will probably pull this apart next month after the LOE 1000 rally at the end of this month. I don't like to make any big changes right before an event. It looks like this mod does help the light pattern a lot.

Can you post pics of where you added the washers to shim down the highbeam? Also, do you have a link to the sealant you used to pu back together?

Also. do you need to pull off the lens if you just want to shim the high beam, and not cut out the back of the reflector?

damn, after seeing both together, it looks fantastic. very cool mod bro.

I live in the country and can see a very clear difference between the stock bulbs and HID. I am very happy with it, even though the beam projection is not perfect, it is 10 times better than the stock lighting.

Same here. I have really very little issues with my lights. Nice write up for those who do and are willing to futz with the
light housing. I'm not baking any thing but cookies and bread. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I won't cut the casting for the high beam out, so I don't get that shadow. Since I've adjusted my light before so that my high beam only or low beam only was good, I can see now that they are adjusted to where they are both much better and more usable!
That really is a great idea, and especially because it's just a few washers!:thumbsup:

Here is the locations of the washers highlighted, the goal is to put push the low beam reflector away from the high beam/adjuster assemble, making the low beam higher in relation to the high beam.

DSC00698-1.jpg

Back