Small air box mod

GIXERHP

ok, ok...just a wee bit Irish...
Donating Member
Registered
Heres an answer to a lot of peoples questions about how to do the small air box mod!

You need the follow the instructions in the manual, on how to remove the air box!

Here's the air box with the filter removed!

air_box_mod_001.jpg

Next you need to remove the vaccum vale from the bottom of the box, this is done by turning it clockwise! Then angling the valve so it will release from the flap!

air_box_mod_002.jpg

Next is you need a need to cut out the flappers frame. You can use a dremal to cut the plastic, it cuts very easy with a 1/8 drill bit!

air_box_mod_004.jpg

Now you need to fill the hole from the vaccumm valve, i use some ABS plastic , which you can find at most Car audio stores! Cut the abs into a circle so it will cover the hole. You can attach it with JB weld epoxy!

air_box_mod_006.jpg

Then attach it to the airbox, and let it dry. Once the epoxy is dry you can reinstall the airbox. You will need to plug the vaccumm line that was attached the the valve!

Thats all!

The is a very easy mod, just take your time!  
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

air_box_mod_012.jpg

beerchug.gif

What's the real benefit and why not just remove the vacuum line and plug it
rock.gif

I can see a minor weigh loss with this mod, but just think what a good diet and fifty pounds less of you would mean.

I LEFT THE VALVE IN AND HOSE PLUGED UP WILL THAT HURT ANYTHING...I TOOK DOOR OUT BUT AFTER EPOXING THE SCREENS IN THE FAIRINGS I DIDNT FEEL LIKE MESSIN WIT NO MORE EPOXY..THAT AND LAZY...FIGURED WOULD JUST HAVE MOVEMENT OF THE VALVE BUT NOT WORKING ANYTHING YA KNOW

Here's an interesting link from a thread of old on this subject

Read the dyno results

First, does this mod apply to all years of the Busa?

Second, am I understanding the purpose of the flapper and vacuum actuator to be that as you open the throttle further (thus lessen the vacuum in the intake), the flap opens further to let more air in?

If I am correct on number 2, I can see the benefit of wide open not having the restriction of the flap just being there while open. Otherwise, I would have to agree that custom maps would be necessary to compensate for the more than expected air during partial throttle scenarios.

Back