Front Blinker - Running light Mod

Powers739

Donating Member
Registered
I picked up the switchback 1157 running/turn lamps from autolumination a while back. I was looking for the sockets to replace the front blinker sockets with to bit the 1157 type lamps. Then TXBusa came along and posted a set of stock rear tail/brake lamp sockets which was exactly what I was looking for since they will fit into the houseing without modification or use of exopy to hold other type of sockets into the housing.

Anyway, the link t the lamps -->http://autolumination.com/switchback.html

The switchback is a two color (white/amber) LED 1157 Lamp. The white LED is for normal running lights and the amber is for the blinker (turn signal). The white will stay on until the blinker is activates, at which time the lamp alternates between the white and amber color. See the link for more details.

I don't like cutting the wiring too much, I like to be able to return it to stock for some reason, so I did a little extra wiring. I could have just hooked these up but cutting the wires and connecting to the exisitng blinker connectors and run the running light from the 12V that comes off the un-used plug.

Instead I used some connectors I has laying around to make an adapter (pig tail). May have been a little over kill, but it works for me. I cut the connector off the socket side of the connector and soldered it to another type of connector, and used the mating half of the other type connector to wire to the 1157 (stock rear lamp holders) sockets. I soldered the aux 12V to the connector as well.

I figure I would lose you all in the explaination, so here are some pictures...

There is the socket (stock rear running/brake socket) with the switchback LED lamp.

DSC07838.jpg

I had these connectors laying around, so I thought I would use them.  They left over computer power supply extension connectors.  I just cut them in half so I can use them as mating connectors...

DSC07841.jpg

I soldered the connector to the end of the 1157 socket, I removed one of the wires since I will only need three of them. I ended up just pushing the Pin out so it would be a little more clean.

DSC07842.jpg

While I was at it, I thought I would take a picture of the back of the nose piece so when people ask what bolts (10mm head) need to be turned in order to adjust the head lamps, so one will have saved this picture and will post it up for them and tell them to turn bolts 1 and 2 counter-clockwise to raise the beam.  I think I got that right...

So here you go, save this for future use...
DSC07856.jpg

PS-what's wrong (or missing)? It's an easy find...

The stock front sockets. I cut these connectors off and wired them to the other half of the other hard drive connectors. That way I didn't cut the wiring harness in the nose piece.

DSC07859.jpg

The new pig tail connected to the stock nose piece wiring harness, with the running light wiring added to run to the spare 12V connector.

DSC07861.jpg

Checked the wiring to make sure I didn't reverse anything and re-installed the nose piece.  All done.  Except the blinkers are hyper-flash, so later I may add a resistor later.

DSC07874.jpg
slow them down a little.

To add the resistor, it will be easy, all I need to do is splice in the resistor into blinker wire of this type pass through connector and I'm done. Very easy to add, change or return to stock.

DSC07841.jpg

It's late, I tried to go back and correct the typos and mistakes since i am multitasking, but the .org board isn't allowing me to edit the posts to correct them. Sorry, I did proof read, but a little late... I think you all can figure it out.

Ted,
I did this mod awhile back and am very happy with it... in my case, because I was running full LEDs, I had to replace the flasher relay with one specifically for LEDs due to the greatly reduced resistance...

LOOKS GREAT!

Back