VSS wire

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, I am putting the Rostra on the bike and could use a bit of help here. The VSS wire for one and do you know the PPM of the unit? (guessing 80K and will need the signal modified)

And I KNOW this has been posted a few times but want to verify it for the tach wire:
<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
go to the ecm , its the green wire on the left plug[/quote]

Thanks and I will document and photograph the install

aww common, I know someone has info I need
smile.gif

I believe it was the pink wire from the stock speed sensor that I hooked the VSS wire to. As for the tach wire, I hooked into the main harness on the left side of the bike so the wire was yellow/blue. I don't remember the exact ppm but I'm pretty sure my switches are set like this:
1-4 off
5-7 on
8-9 off
10 on
11 off
12 on

Ok Rostra installed and "Working!"

Thanks jjmetheny for the baseline settings.. only caveat was the #10 dipswitch.. it needed to be off in my case as the control switch was an OPEN design..

Parts List:
250-1223 Rostra full electronic control unit (no vacuum)
250-3592 Control switch
5 pole switch (wired to fire on brake lights, purple wire from cruise is wired grounded until brake lights come on, then opens circuit)

Costs: $245
I ran most of the other wiring off the tail light area
Wiring:
Bike Cruise Cruise switch

Ground Black Black
Brown Brown (Accy power on) White
brake switch + Red (brake circuit) (NA)
relay (5pin)grnd Violet (brake circuit) (NA)
green Darkblue (tach lead) (NA)
pink gold Gray (Vehicle speed sensor) (NA)
Orange (Dk green)
Blue is backlight power

Dips:
1-4 off
5-7 on
8-9 off
10 on
11-12 off

I used the "cable noose" and hooked it around the fast idle pin and used a small zip tie to retain it (needs changed)
Cruise box is sitting in cavity behind motor above crank case vent, will build a mount there or relocate.

Cable bracket is on frame bolt (right side) directly behind the throttle body cable ramps (single attachment is a bit flaky)

I will post images after return from the OKC run to captains for the races (I just had to get this done for the 900M run)

The gain is set to extra low but still has about a 5 mph surge at first. I think a signal box will fix this ($50) to reduce the pulse count from VSS) I will work on tweaking this issue and update when I get a reasonable fix

Randy, did you ever get the box mounted in the cavity? Here's a pic of how I mounted mine. Did you get a fix for the surge?

100_0925.jpg

The surge is not very bad and only at 55 or below.. you got your mounted? I still just have mine sitting down in the same area (no mount) :whistle: I hate fabricating stuff cause it always looks like crapola when I am done... I gotta pay guys that know how to fabricate "pretty" stuff..

I just bent the bracket that came with the cruise about 90 degrees and bolted to an existing threaded hole in the back of the throttle bodies.

The VSS is the pink wire coming from the stock speed sensor.

hello all i have my rostra cruise control in hand
i have switch type 250-3592 (with engaged light)
and electronic servo 250-2316

i have searched thru all i could find here and elsewhere and i still have a few questions ;)

my curiosities?
1) mr bogus did you ever fix the surge? do you think its possible that there is interference from the coils or heat (just wondering)

2) the switch wiring
the gray and blue im not 100percent clear which i should use and what happens to the one not used (there is a procedure to figure this out but i was wondering what others have done)
the pink is for the engaged light (on the switch) it is supposed to be hooked to the servo but which wire on the servo did everyone use?

3) the unit wiring
did folks use a relay? there seems to be one in the pics?
does anyone have pics of their tie ins? for location and wiring position, color?

im not too bright so more details are better, i know alot of folks are installing this lately and thru the six or seven locations for directions i have a fair amount of information
but there are noticeable wiring differences so i figured i would ask the questions before i proceed on mine. :cool:

thank you in advance ;)

-chad
chadhuskey1@hotmail.com

Back