Has anyone put hazards and Flash switches

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Guys,
Has anyone (I am thinking Rhythm and ICEMANN here) put flash to pass and hazard switches on an older bike, say an '01?

I figure that since I already have to take my iners off and since I have the hazrd switch, might as well try and make it work?

Thanks...

Shawn,
I am digging thru the wiring diagrams in my service manual to see what exactly the difference is in the wiring harness. My guess, (until I am for sure) is that there is a common wire that goes to that switch that is not in your harness. The flasher relay should be all the same. As soon as I get it figured out, I will let you know.

I wasn't always a recruiter, Uncle Sam spent alot of money training me in analog and digital electronics.

Don

Don,
The relay is the same part number and you are correct, when Speedadict and I were messing around with it, I plugged in the harness and the kill and strat switches worked, but the hazards didn't. In the harness, the newer housing has pins in the four recepticles from the left, the fith (to the right) was empty on both top and bottom. In my harness, all five were on the bottom and the top middle was a blank. It also looked like there was a jumper in the male end of the harness. If I can get a hold of a camera that is worth something, I will post pics....
As for me, well - I am an avionicsman's nightmare! Thanks for the assist brother Don!

(USN05LE @ Jan. 20 2007,14:10) Shawn,
 I am digging thru the wiring diagrams in my service manual to see what exactly the difference is in the wiring harness.  My guess, (until I am for sure) is that there is a common wire that goes to that switch that is not in your harness.  The flasher relay should be all the same.  As soon as I get it figured out, I will let you know.  

I wasn't always a recruiter, Uncle Sam spent alot of money training me in analog and digital electronics.

Don
ah yes...A tweeker!

wink.gif

I am going to scan these diagrams in edit them and save them as PDFs so that you can see exactly where the difference is. Long story short based on preliminary research, this could be a PITA.

Don

(GoldenChild @ Jan. 20 2007,16:47) You have to look at the diagram and repin it for it to work.
GC -Yeah, I expected that, that is why I was hoping that I wasn't tryint to be Illinois Smith looking for treasure on this one....

There is a lot to be said for walking in someone elses shoes once in awhile -
smile.gif

If I remember right, flash to pass will bolt straight on, but with the hazards you will need to run some new wires or rewire something.

(Pipefighter248 @ Jan. 20 2007,16:56) If I remember right, flash to pass will bolt straight on, but with the hazards you will need to run some new wires or rewire something.
Nathan,
Thanks for the input... I have seen a couple of housings on feebay, I may try to grab one and make the swap!

I know the flash to pass is on the exact same circuit as the high beam switch but I'm not sure how to wire it in.

The hazards would be a little bit more of a project.

--Wag--

rock.gif
Wasn't me ! But lets us know when you figure it out, I'm too busy with other projects.
tounge.gif

(Rhythm @ Jan. 21 2007,08:flamethrowing:)
rock.gif
Wasn't me ! But lets us know when you figure it out, I'm too busy with other projects.
tounge.gif
Thanks for the encouragement!
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

tounge.gif

(MC MUSTANG @ Jan. 21 2007,07:53)
(Rhythm @ Jan. 21 2007,08
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
)
rock.gif
tounge.gif
Thanks for the encouragement!  
tounge.gif

Always there when you need me.  
laugh.gif

tounge.gif

Ive got a spare 01 harness in the garage,,, ill go check the differences and let you know!

Biggest difference that I see so far is a blue wire up top in the middle.

(GoldenChild @ Jan. 20 2007,17:47) You have to look at the diagram and repin it for it to work.
Shawn,

I can't speak for the hazzard/pass switch, but I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Euro light swith for the right bar. In that case I had to repin the connections because the Euro switch didn't match my 03 harness even though it was supposedly a direct plu and play for 99-02's
rock.gif

Anyways, it was a PIA, but in the end I enjoy the mod. With a flip of the switch in the right housing I can now run with NO lights, Running lights only (no headlight, no break light), or All Lights.

If you can get the correct wiring diagrams from the year model with the hazzard switch, and compare it with yours, if you can find the right equipment to make the install clean at a local electronics store so you don't have to hack all you wires, then go for it. I for one am not much of an electrician here, Suzuki4Life gave me some help on the phone as he was familiar with issue and got it hooked up.
jump9.gif

(mzrsq @ Jan. 21 2007,11:32)
(GoldenChild @ Jan. 20 2007,17:47) You have to look at the diagram and repin it for it to work.
Shawn,

I can't speak for the hazzard/pass switch, but I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Euro light swith for the right bar.  In that case I had to repin the connections because the Euro switch didn't match my 03 harness even though it was supposedly a direct plu and play for 99-02's
rock.gif

Anyways, it was a PIA, but in the end I enjoy the mod.  With a flip of the switch in the right housing I can now run with NO lights, Running lights only (no headlight, no break light), or All Lights.

If you can get the correct wiring diagrams from the year model with the hazzard switch, and compare it with yours, if you can find the right equipment to make the install clean at a local electronics store so you don't have to hack all you wires, then go for it.  I for one am not much of an electrician here, Suzuki4Life gave me some help on the phone as he was familiar with issue and got it hooked up.  
jump9.gif
Brother Scott - If I don't just tear into it completely blindly, then how will I ever post up the "Don't do it like this" thread? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
laugh.gif

I see the blue wire in another harness, so I am optimistic, but what concerns me is the jumper in my harness.

When Speedadict and I were messing around with it, all of his fairings were off, so it was easy to see what was what - but Bessie is still dressed, 'cept for the inners - makes things a little more complicated.... I may have to break down and strip her before I am done.

A Euro housing huh - got any pics? I might have to keep on the look out for something like that. After all of the wiring I have done on Bessie - they know me by name at the local Radio Shack - I think I might have a new project in the works.

If you have any notes on what you wnet through, or pics - I would be extremely appreciative!

Okay, all of the wires I need are in the left side switch housing harness - now I just need to figure out if I can jump them over into the other hrness as well. I broke down and pulled the nose and left side lower - so I am commited now!

Back