Back off yo!

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
I am really excited about this mod. I tried to to something like it with other lights, but this is way better. In an effort to keep from being rear ended, I did this mod right after I purchased my 09. Superbright LED's, these are marker lights with a back off module.

After receiving a gift last weekend, I had the opportunity to take my tail back apart today to clean it up. I installed strobe from Superbright LED's, part# P-STRB-R3W. I took the opportunity to seal up some holes that allowed water in my tail during our trip. I also re-installed the mud flap and cleaned up the wiring. This strobe has 9 different flash patterns and they will get your attention, its much brighter in person. Guess I will be riding sweep from now on. :laugh:

And the strobe.

During the day. If it wasnt raining I would get the bike out on the street. I sound like a goober in the video.

Be interesting to see how your local police react to a red strobe light flashing. I know here in TN red or blue strobes are ilegal and they are pretty strict on it.

You own a white Busa shouldnt ever have any problems with anyone catching up close behind you. :laugh:

No non-emergency vehicle shall operate or install emergency flashing light systems such as strobe, wig-wag, or other flashing lights in tail light lamp, stoplight area, or factory installed emergency flasher and backup light area.
SECTION 3. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 55-9-402(d)(1), is amended by deleting the subdivision in its entirety, and by substituting instead the following language:

No vehicle operated in this state shall be equipped with any flashing red or white light or any combination of red or white lights which displays to the front of such vehicle except school buses, a passenger motor vehicle operated by a rural mail carrier of the United States Postal Service while performing the duties of a rural letter carrier, authorized law enforcement vehicles only when used in combination with a flashing blue light, and emergency vehicles used in firefighting, including ambulances, emergency vehicles used in firefighting which are owned or operated by the Division of Forestry, firefighting vehicles, rescue vehicles, privately owned vehicles of regular or volunteer firefighters certified in �55-9-201(c), or other emergency vehicles used in firefighting owned, operated, or subsidized by the governing body of any county or municipality.

those statutes usually refer to the Front of the vehicle not the rear. although they do include the rear as well its purpose is to warn from being rear ending due to the fact that there are no taps with motorcycles. being rear ended by a 4000 lb. vehicle means disaster.:banghead:

the clear strobe really only intensifies the red imo. I would not consider that an emergency style flashing light. simply because the only time its acticated is when someone is stopping vs. accelerating as one would be if they were using emergency type lights to get somewhere quicker.

I know that techinically this may be illegal in some states but it is a really smart mod and I am going to look more into installing one on my bike now!!
Thanks for the vids and info!!

No non-emergency vehicle shall operate or install emergency flashing light systems such as strobe, wig-wag, or other flashing lights in tail light lamp, stoplight area, or factory installed emergency flasher and backup light area.
SECTION 3. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 55-9-402(d)(1), is amended by deleting the subdivision in its entirety, and by substituting instead the following language:

No vehicle operated in this state shall be equipped with any flashing red or white light or any combination of red or white lights which displays to the front of such vehicle except school buses, a passenger motor vehicle operated by a rural mail carrier of the United States Postal Service while performing the duties of a rural letter carrier, authorized law enforcement vehicles only when used in combination with a flashing blue light, and emergency vehicles used in firefighting, including ambulances, emergency vehicles used in firefighting which are owned or operated by the Division of Forestry, firefighting vehicles, rescue vehicles, privately owned vehicles of regular or volunteer firefighters certified in �55-9-201(c), or other emergency vehicles used in firefighting owned, operated, or subsidized by the governing body of any county or municipality.

Thanks for the tip, but considering that some of my Law Enforcement friends have the same thing on their personal bikes, and I dont live in Tennessee, I will take the chance. Oklahoma allows wig wag's, headlight modulators, etc.

Now I just need to get my HID set up and that will complete my electrical mods.

Smart mod...I dont see law enforcement getting to upset for a strobe brake light, and if they did that would be a douche move. I'll take a ticket for increasing my chances of not getting hit any day.

Smart mod...I dont see law enforcement getting to upset for a strobe brake light, and if they did that would be a douche move. I'll take a ticket for increasing my chances of not getting hit any day.

I agree, just as ))))LOUD(((( pipes also attracts attention to other drivers to look for you which is another safety thing, but as the other member said some cops are *&^%( bags and will write a ticket. Just trying to let others know there may be a law in there states against this mod even since its for safety.

Hope it works, hard to defeat stupid :laugh:

You wouldnt believe the idiots we have around here. I have seen folks eating cereal, shaving, reading the paper, etc. Anything to get these peoples attention.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

Good mod. However, it occurs to me that all Hayabusa's come with a stock rear-end accident avoidance system. It can be activated at any time via the right hand controller. ;) :laugh::beerchug:

subscribed! i really dig this mod and can't wait to tackle this in the winter for a side project. :bowdown:

You wouldnt believe the idiots we have around here. I have seen folks eating cereal, shaving, reading the paper, etc. Anything to get these peoples attention.

Why do you think we wouldn't believe the people in Ok are stupid?

:rofl:

I think cops may get upset if you had flashers like this on the front. They basically don't want you being equipped to act like a cop and confuse them. Flashers on the front and folks would be pulling over in front of you. Flashing tailights I wouldn't worry about cuz you won't be coming up on anyone backwards. :)
Neat mod though. Anything you can do to help people see you is a good one. I was talking to a FHP officer other day in the showroom. I mainly asked her up to what speed over will most FHP officers allow folks to pass by without stopping them and she said around 15mph over. Anything above and you're getting stopped. But anyway she did tell me about a guy who got run over by an old man at a light. But it wasn't because old guy didn't see him at red it was because when light turned green old guy didn't see biker and drove right over him. So yeah a flashing light in front of them while we are sitting is also good.

Sorry 'Goober' but I just have to :rofl: at the 'Kinda makes my tail look better' comment.

Why did you put fender back on?

I put the fender back on because I was trying to clean things up. I took the old lights off and needed a place to mount the new strobe. It just seemed to make sense. And...with the flap back on I wont have to worry about soaking Juli in the rain. Her back gets pretty wet from the back tire. I spent the biggest part of the day re-organizing my trunk, cleaning and lubing the chain, cleaning the wheels, and getting ALL the bugs off of her. Man she was nasty. I finally finished and sat down to look at her, its just a feeling you get when everything is right, clean, and the way you want it.

They must vacation and/or have pt. residence here in Florida. :whistle:

I believe!

Back