Problem after 1st service

muzza

Registered
Hi all,

Need some advice here. Just had my new Busa in for the first 1000k service with a local reputable dealer.Bike was running perfectly before the service but when i picked her up i realised something was amiss.

Idle speed is now a little erratic and there is a definate hesitation & surging at small throttle openings.
There is also a fair bit of popping through the cans on overrun.
Bike is fitted with yoshi r77 slip ons but these were fitted from new.

Gearchange is now clunkier but i suspect that is due to the Shell oil they used - never been a fan.

I contacted the dealer - they stated they only checked the throttle body sync but it was within spec so wasn't adjusted but agreed to have another look at the bike.

I have since been back to the dealer & they have rechecked their work & adjusted the air mixture settings, however the problem remains.

Not sure where to go from here - can this be tuned out through the ECU ?
Disappointing when you shell out best part of $300 and the bike is worse for it.

Going to get a second opinion but any ideas from the experts here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Muzza.

The popping is normal with slip ons. Search 'marble mod' to see how to correct it.

First service they usually check throttle cable and adjust if needed. Are you sure they didn't just adjust that.
If so it would affect idle and if idle is diff bike will feel diff for first few mphs.

And yes ecu flash on a dyno can fix all.

That's a dayum shame. I'd make them fix it and then find another shop. Obviously check all connectors and vacuum hoses under the tank. They might have left something off or kinked.

The popping is normal with slip ons. Search 'marble mod' to see how to correct it.

First service they usually check throttle cable and adjust if needed. Are you sure they didn't just adjust that.
If so it would affect idle and if idle is diff bike will feel diff for first few mphs.

And yes ecu flash on a dyno can fix all.

Thanks mate - doesn't explain why there was no popping before the service though - cans have been on since new.
I did query the TBS on the first service - they def said they checked it but didn't adjust :dunno:

Hi all,

Need some advice here. Just had my new Busa in for the first 1000k service with a local reputable dealer.Bike was running perfectly before the service but when i picked her up i realised something was amiss.

Idle speed is now a little erratic and there is a definate hesitation & surging at small throttle openings.

Gearchange is now clunkier but i suspect that is due to the Shell oil they used - never been a fan.

I contacted the dealer - they stated they only checked the throttle body sync but it was within spec so wasn't adjusted but agreed to have another look at the bike.

I have since been back to the dealer & they have rechecked their work & adjusted the air mixture settings, however the problem remains.

Disappointing when you shell out best part of $300 and the bike is worse for it.

Going to get a second opinion but any ideas from the experts here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Muzza.

what air mixture settings they change?

I am with Daniel on this, what settings did they change? Something happened when it was in the shop. Why would you check for TB sync on the first service anyway?

Hi all,

Cheers,
Muzza.
What "air mixture settings" are they referring to? Your bike has fuel injection, not carbs ??? It sounds to me like they're throwing technical terms at you and saying whatever it takes to get you to go away. That or they really don't know what they're doing. That shop sounds pretty typical, most shops are usually semi-lost with anything more than an oil change. Modern bikes don't need too much real work done usually, so alot of shop "helpers", the kids that work on your bike under the "supervision" of the head tech, don't always have alot of experience with anything too deep. Plus the turnover rate is high, so always somebody new learning on customers bikes as they go. Thats why its typically reccommended to buy a low mileage used engine instead of having yours rebuilt if you have major engine probs, most shops have forgotten the art of engine rebuilding :banghead:
Learn how to do your own work......way better all around in the end :thumbsup:

if they checked the sync there is a good chance they left a vacuum hose off, as for the clunk, i think i would change to a better oil.

The thicker the oil, the more clunk. It is probably a sign that you are within grade now, while the old oil sheared down to a lower viscosity. With most of the big box store oils here, that happens within 400 miles.

Thanks mate - doesn't explain why there was no popping before the service though - cans have been on since new.
I did query the TBS on the first service - they def said they checked it but didn't adjust :dunno:

I see? Well then, forget everything I said :laugh:

For what its worth, my R-77's didn't start popping until about 1,000 miles ago. They've been mounted for over 5,000 miles.. :dunno:

Thanks for the replies fellas - to answer your questions.

I did query why they checked TBS when it's not due till 12000k.I suspect they just pad out the invoice to try & justify slugging you $300. They claim they made no adjustment as was within spec.

I should have asked more questions when i was told they adjusted mixture settings - my fault.

I agree that I should be looking at doing my own work - however this dealer has a very good rep & i know they put their best mech on it when i took it back.

Something happened during that initial service but it seems they are unable to determine what. Not sure where to go from here - take it back a third time ? :laugh:

I would not leave with it until it was running right just as it was when you first took it in there. Period, end of story.

Back