Hump Storage Modification

dmrowe

Registered
I have followed several of the posts on modifying your hump for storage, Icemann, IG, etc.  There was hardware available from a number of sources but they all seemed to have issues.  They looked flimsey, had no retainers so if you dropped them they were lost.  IceMann and one other post hit the nail on the head with 1/4 turn fasteners.  Here is what I did in lesss than 10 min., not including the trip to the local aviation supply that took the most time, the total cost $8.12.

Parts List:
4 ea. Southco wingnut fastener P/N 82-12-300-16 @ 1.54 ea.
4 ea. Southco DAC recepticle P/N 82-47-113-150 @ .28 ea.
4 ea. Southco retainer P/N 82-32-101-20 @ .07 ea.
4 ea. Southco wear washer P/N 82-46-101-39 @ .14 ea.

Here is what all of the hardware looks like:

HPIM0170.jpg

Remove the bolts holding the bottom plate to the hump

HPIM0167.jpg

Remove the nut recepticale from the inside of the hump with the tip of a small screw driver

HPIM0168.jpg

HPIM0169.jpg

Using the tip of a small screw driver open up the Southco DAC recepticle slightly to facilitate sliding into place on the mounting points inside the hump

HPIM0171.jpg

HPIM0172.jpg

HPIM0173.jpg

Place the small nylon wear washers over the shaft of the wing nut, collar side up toward the wing

HPIM0174.jpg

Push the wing nut fastener through the hole, so the wing nut faces toward the the outside of the hump

HPIM0175.jpg

Secure the wing nut faster to the bottom plate with the small retainer.  I did this working from the opposite side of the opening (or gap) in the retainer.  Using the tip of a small screw driver helps.

HPIM0176.jpg

HPIM0177.jpg

This secures the wing nut fastener to the bottom plate so the can't fall out on the side of the road and lose them in the dirt

HPIM0178.jpg

When finished you have a 1/4 turn fastener that allows you quick access for storage for under $10...gas included.

HPIM0179.jpg

You can order from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co. at (877)477-7823 or on line at: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/index.html

Or just find you local aircraft parts supplier

you should put it together as a kit and sell them here
beerchug.gif
I just spent that including shipping on 4 knobs. No where as nice as what you did.

This is pretty close to what IG is selling them for at www.humpmod.com.  His basic kit is $12 and the only thing I see missing is the wear washer under the wing nut.   I just thought for those of us who like to do this sort thing should have the information.  I bought 2 extra sets, interested in one?

Do they lock in tight. I have a set of the D ring ones and they are a pain in A$$ to get in and turn sometimes. You really have to play with them to get them lined up before you turn and bend the nut receptacle thingy. I was told these were "GREAT" when I bought them also. I am waiting to swap them for something better and easier to use. Let me know what you think of the fit when locked on and how easy it is to put the cover onto the hump? Thanks!!
beerchug.gif

(psycobusa @ Jan. 13 2007,14:20) looks good.... i like the d ring ones better
The D-Ring is actually called a 'bail' type fastener. The p/n's would be as follows:

Bail P/N 82-16-300-16
Recepticle P/N 82-47-113-20
Retainer P/N 82-32-201-20
Wear Washer P/N 82-46-101-41

This is a Dzus Lion Quarter Turn Fastener.

I will see if I can get a couple and try them out and see how they hold up. The wing type will hold up to the torque I am not sure how much you can twist the bail type before the wire might come out.

I must have to go back in my control panel and 'un-check' Invisible writing mode!
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

I have a set of D-ring types which I got from foresteronw here on this board a little over a year ago. I love 'em!

Do some sort of hump mod, people. You'll be glad you did!

--Wag--

(extreemachine @ Jan. 13 2007,15:03) Do they lock in tight. I have a set of the D ring ones and they are a pain in A$$ to get in and turn sometimes. You really have to play with them to get them lined up before you turn and bend the nut receptacle thingy. I was told these were "GREAT" when I bought them also. I am waiting to swap them for something better and easier to use. Let me know what you think of the fit when locked on and how easy it is to put the cover onto the hump?  Thanks!!  
beerchug.gif
These were extremely easy.  I sat at the parts counter at Aircraft Spruce & Specialty in Corona and Paul the counterman kept bring out different length studs until I found ones that would snug it down but not be to tight or loose.  Take my word, these are perfect and work in a snap.  I am going to see if they have some of the 'bail' or 'D' ring type so see how they work also.

Tried to order these today. the website says that P/N 82-46-101-20 is invalid. Could you please double check and let us know what the correct number should be?

thanks

(ToyKraz @ Jan. 15 2007,12:47) Tried to order these today. the website says that P/N 82-46-101-20 is invalid. Could you please double check and let us know what the correct number should be?

thanks
Yes, I screwed up the numbers!

Correct number is 82-32-101-20 Retainer

I edited my original post to correct it.

Just got my parts from Aircraft Spruce, $9.95 delivered to my door.  All parts listed in this post, fit as though it were made for the hump, could'nt of been easier.  Thanks for the direction, I'm looking forward to the ease of this mod in its operation.   GREAT STUDY on this one!  Thanks for your time spent on finding the peices to get that "exact fit".   You Da' Man!
bowdown.gif

Did this mod when I first got the bike and it is a savior when you need some extra space. I've stuffed all sorts of grocery items in there when the tank bag is full. You can stuff items in the tail as well before putting the hump on for additional storage.

Back