ECU Editor Tutorial - How to use Auto Tune

jkwool

Registered
I have been getting a few questions about how to use the new Auto Tune feature in ECU Editor so i thought i would do a new post with this info and screen shots to make it easy for people to find the answers to questions. I am assuming you have basic skills with the ECU Editor program, if this is not the case please read other posts about the application to familiarize yourself with how it works before attempting an auto tune.

For best results when auto tuning you will need to block your PAIR valve. There are a couple of ways to do it ranging from using a marble to block the hose to buying pair block off plates and removing the PAIR solenoid entirely. Please search this forum for information about how to do this. The reason you should do this is that the PAIR valve bleeds air from the air box into the exhaust gases which gives you artificially lean (high) AFR readings.

Configure your bin file to Datalog O2 Sensor
  1. Open your bin file in ECU Editor
  2. Click "Advanced Settings"
  3. Put a check in the "Datalog O2 Sensor" checkbox and un-check "PAIR" checkbox
  4. Flash the changes to your ecu
    210.png

You are now ready to do a Datalog to measure the current state of tune of your bike
  1. Connect your flashing harness and put it in Engine Data mode
  2. Turn your key on
  3. Click the "Data Logging" button
    310.png
  4. Make sure that the green light comes on and the data logging screen is showing basic engine data.
  5. Start your engine
  6. Click "Create Log File" button
    410.png
  7. Save the log file to a common location on your laptop
  8. Click "Start Logging" to start logging data to the log file
    510.png
  9. Go for a ride and log data to the log file, i generally go for 20 min or so to get a good amount of data.
  10. Stop Engine and Click "Stop Logging"
  11. Click "View Data Log" button
    610.png
  12. You are now viewing the logged data from your ride, you can change between the TPS-RPM and IAP-RPM maps by selecting the relevant radio buttons
    710.png
  13. You can change the Target AFR maps by clicking on the Target AFR map radio button
  14. When you are ready to Auto Tune click the "% Map Change" radio button, this map displays suggested values to use to modify your fuel maps to improve the tune of your bike, you are able to adjust the values by typing directly into the cells if you are not happy with the suggested values.
    810.png
  15. When you are ready to apply the changes to your fuel map click the "Auto Tune"button.
  16. If you want to tune both maps you will have to select each map (TPS and IAP) and click the 'Auto Tune' button for each one.
  17. Flash the changes to your ecu
    210.png
  18. There are some additional settings to filter the Data Logs and Auto Tune which are pretty self expanitary, basically they remove data that is not useful for tuning your bike, the default settings are a good start but feel free to experiment with the settings to see what impact they have on the functionality of the software.
    910.png
    1010.png

You will need to go through the log and tune process a few times until the values stabilize and you are getting consistent results for your AFR logging. Remember to save your bin file each time and load the latest bin file before you apply changes from a log run. I usually create numbered directories e.g. 01 Justin and put both the bin file and data logs for that bin file in the directory so i know which data logs relate to which bin file.

The engine uses the IAP-RPM map when the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) settings is below 11% i.e. at cruise and idle, Above TPS 11% the ecu uses the TPS-RPM map.

210.png

Also, for someone just glancing at this thread and not knowing the background this is strictly a Gen2 busa option and doesn't apply to Gen1.

Looks good :thumbsup:

Wow. Just wow.

If one already had the ECU Editor installed on a K9, and had a method to log the data, what benefit does a dyno tune using ECU Editor bring over this method?

Again. Wow. :bowdown:

You won't have to balance a laptop on your bike if you get a dyno tune
Posted via Mobile Device

But for people who don't fully understand how to map a bike, this could be amazing
Posted via Mobile Device

i don't know if mine would continue logging if the lid was shut. i think it sleeps when i close the lid. otherwise, yea, backpack would definitely be the way to go.

What type of skill level would you say this flash would rate and is there a risk of permanent damage? I would like to play with the ECU but this looks a little intimidating to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Scratch last post! Didn't read entire thread,sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device

i don't know if mine would continue logging if the lid was shut. i think it sleeps when i close the lid. otherwise, yea, backpack would definitely be the way to go.

Luckily, that's a power setting you can control, assuming you are running winXP or higher.

now we need smith-a to come up with the hardware to use a usb flash stick for the ecu to write data so a laptop wouldn't need to be connected live. Write to a flash stick while riding then when done just hook up the laptop import the flash memory, make map changes, and then reflash the ecu. :bowdown:

Make it so Greg! (I assume that some soft code would also need to be programmed to make it work.)

now we need smith-a to come up with the hardware to use a usb flash stick for the ecu to write data so a laptop wouldn't need to be connected live. Write to a flash stick while riding then when done just hook up the laptop import the flash memory, make map changes, and then reflash the ecu. :bowdown:

Make it so Greg! (I assume that some soft code would also need to be programmed to make it work.)

So then you would be basically building the PCV but using the ECU. It would definitely save a bunch of money..
:thumbsup:

This is the next thing i am working on, there is a device available called a STM32 Primer 2 that has a small processor and a built in usb and sd memory card (up to 2 GB) that I am working on programming to connect to the ecu and log the data. Its small at about 4 inches by 2 1/2 inches with a color touch screen etc, should be perfect for logging hours of data then unplugging and hooking up to a pc and reading data.

Just starting to play with this today:thumbsup: I've been waiting on a DL-32 for a couple months-think I'm just gonna have to cancel it. Hope you guys have an idea just how much your work and sharing it with us means to the masses. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
One important thing I had to search for a little is the actual wiring. Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't tried it out yet but you need to wire the brown(analog #2) from the LC-1 to the #12(White/Green) pin at the ecu.

Just starting to play with this today:thumbsup: I've been waiting on a DL-32 for a couple months-think I'm just gonna have to cancel it. Hope you guys have an idea just how much your work and sharing it with us means to the masses. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
One important thing I had to search for a little is the actual wiring. Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't tried it out yet but you need to wire the brown(analog #2) from the LC-1 to the #12(White/Green) pin at the ecu.

Yes you are correct, brown wire from LC-1 (analog 0-5v wideband output) into pin 12 on the ecu. I will modify the original post to include this information!

Edit: I cant seem to edit my original post with this info?

Thanks

Last edited:
Got one good log and tune in yesterday(laptop kept shutting off, lol) and updated this morning to the latest version and couldn't get it to work for nuthin'! Kept getting AFR 965.27. Finally looked at the Advanced Settings screen and lo and behold, I forgot to reset the Datalog O2 Sensor On box:whistle:. Maybe this could be automatic when you open the Autotune program? Anyways, this is f#$%&ing great! I've already cleaned up my IAP considerably and what a difference. I was using a "borrowed" tune from a very reputable tuner and he did do some work on the IAP but I've had to lean it out quite a bit with good results. Can't wait to see the difference in mileage once I'm done. Then on to the TPS :thumbsup::beerchug::bowdown:

Just did a 40 minute ride, with hills, curves, low speed, high speed, low RPM, high RPM, everything I could think to throw at it.

I got back to the house, pulled the laptop out of the backpack and was pleased see it was still on and reading engine data. Then, I noticed I hadn't hit the 'start logging' button after creating the log file and taking off! :banghead:

Anyway, leason learned. I'll try again when it cools off a bit. One thing I did notice was that ECU Editor has a message that this laptop might not be fast enough to log in debugging mode and that I should press 'd' to turn off debugging. Does this effect the data captured? Once I pressed D, I didn't get any visual feed back and the message didn't go away. It might be nice to have some type of visual feed back for that. I'm using a fast little Dell netbook, with Win7 Ultimate x64, 4 GB RAM, and a intel X25 extreme SSD. Assuming the most intensive portion of the logging is writting to the file, I would imagine the SSD has plenty of horsepower for that. I have several other faster laptops I can use, if necessary.

Thoughts? (on the laptop, not my boneheadedness) :whistle:

How important is the range of RPM visited, per gear? Obviously the TPS is easy, but what about the IAP? To get the best dataset, are there any recommended methods for the ride while sampling?

Oh and I did find an untrapped error on the advanced Settings form. I initially through I needed to press the write button (instead of just closing the form) to save the changes I made. Pressing that button, with nothing in the Setbyte fields results in an unhandled error - as opposed to 'you are doing it wrong, dummy' message box. Nothing major, but I thought you might want to put it on your list.

Again, thanks for the wonderful tools.

Last edited:
Just did a 40 minute ride, with hills, curves, low speed, high speed, low RPM, high RPM, everything I could think to throw at it.

I got back to the house, pulled the laptop out of the backpack and was pleased see it was still on and reading engine data. Then, I noticed I hadn't hit the 'start logging' button after creating the log file and taking off! :banghead:

Anyway, leason learned. I'll try again when it cools off a bit. One thing I did notice was that ECU Editor has a message that this laptop might not be fast enough to log in debugging mode and that I should press 'd' to turn off debugging. Does this effect the data captured? Once I pressed D, I didn't get any visual feed back and the message didn't go away. It might be nice to have some type of visual feed back for that. I'm using a fast little Dell netbook, with Win7 Ultimate x64, 4 GB RAM, and a intel X25 extreme SSD. Assuming the most intensive portion of the logging is writting to the file, I would imagine the SSD has plenty of horsepower for that. I have several other faster laptops I can use, if necessary.

Thoughts? (on the laptop, not my boneheadedness) :whistle:

How important is the range of RPM visited, per gear? Obviously the TPS is easy, but what about the IAP? To get the best dataset, are there any recommended methods for the ride while sampling?

Oh and I did find an untrapped error on the advanced Settings form. I initially through I needed to press the write button (instead of just closing the form) to save the changes I made. Pressing that button, with nothing in the Setbyte fields results in an unhandled error - as opposed to 'you are doing it wrong, dummy' message box. Nothing major, but I thought you might want to put it on your list.

Again, thanks for the wonderful tools.

Hi mate, your dell netbook should be fine, you should not be getting that error message i will take a look at the code and remove it for the next version. I use a HP mininote with a crappy via processor for my logging and it handles the load no problems.

Thanks for the feedback on using the auto tune feature, I think it would be better if the logging started straight after creating a log file so you dont have to remember to click start logging? i have done the same thing a couple of times and i quite often wonder if i have remembered to hit the button when i have started riding.. I will make the change.

My best advice for the IAP map is to just ride the bike normally as this will pick up your most used parts of the map, for the TPS map i usually try to vary the TPS and RPM so i log as much of the map as i can.

Thanks for the info on the dell.

I would agree on having it start as soon as you created the log file, assuming the app could verify it was 'green' and had engine data.

How important in the upper RMP range for the TPS? It seems to me it would be very important, and the more data one collected there the better? It's just hard to get alot of that higher RPM data on this bike!

From a fellow programmer, and a new Busa convert, you are doing a wonderful job with this! :beerchug:

Back