Install Driven gel grips walkthrough

Wayneovich

Registered
I didn't see one so I figured I would lend a helping hand to those who had questions. It is a real simple process that takes just a bit of paitence so here we go.

1. You will need these items papertowels, 5mm allen wrench, hairspray, razorblade, grip glue, rubbing alcohol, new grips(DUH) and oh yeah a Busa :laugh:
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

2. Start by removing the bar ends pop the plastic cap off(comes off easy) and use the allen wrench to remove the end, It didn't take much force so be mindfull so you don't over do it and scratch a fairing.

3. Now you can get ready to cut the grip (some people use an air compressor to save the grip but I look at it like this if you had any feelings for the stock grips you wouldn't be changing them in the first place)

4. The razor will cut the grip like a hot knife through butter so be careful not to cut yourself or the bike.

5. Suzuki didn't spare any expense in grip glue as they were pretty generous. Make sure you throughly clean the bar with the alcohol and paper towels, once the glue starts to come up it rolls off pretty easy.

6. This is what your bar should look like after its clean.

7. Now apply the grip glue be generous but don't overdue it as some of it will get caught on the front of the new grip.

8. Now lube that grip up with aquanet like there ain't no tomorrow :laugh: and start sliding it on you will have to twist it some but it goes on pretty easy. make sure you get it all the way on as the grip glue will start to set rather quick. Your finished product should look something like this.

Now show us how to install the throttle grip, that one is causing me trouble right now. Also, cool grips, where did you get them?

9. Reinstall the bar ends and you are finished with the left side.

10. Now for the fun part Throttle side can be a bit tricky and intimidating but don't worry you have made it this far and hey I'm still with ya. :laugh: Go ahead and repeat the steps for removing the bar ends as mentioned earlier. and proceed to cut the grip. Now you are presented with this.
Notice the ridge on the end this is the enemy but your ally at the same time. lube up the throttle tube and the grip real good( I put a paper towel under the throttle area so I wouldn't spray my fairings. Now twist the grip over that ridge till you get the first part on then keep twisting toward the front of the bike until the grip is as far on there as humanly possible. now make sure the grip is not hanging over that ridge as it could interfere with the bar end and cause you're throttle to stick(which is badddd mmmkay) :laugh: after its on there check you're throttle to make sure it turns and returns freely replace the bar end and check again for any issues.Allow about 30-45 mins drying time for the hairspray the glue seems to set pretty quick so don't worry about that. One more thing the Driven grips have slots for safety wire so they are track legal Mine is not a track bike so i didn't feel the need for safety wire. But its there if you need it.

11.Congratulations you're finished product should like this

As I said earlier this is a real simple mod and can be done in about 30 minutes tops. I hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.:thumbsup:

:laugh: oops mods is there a way to bump my last part I didn't notice some people had posted also maybe get a sticky thanks

Very nice .
How do you get throttle grip over larger ridge not the one on the end but other end of tube next to killswitch ?

One thing to note. If you have a grip with a pattern. Do the throttle side first. Then the other one. Other side is easier to match up appearance wise to the throttle. Spins easier.

I use air compressor, no cutting, no solvents, no glue needed. No mess, no hassles. Grips are reusable.

Very nice .
How do you get throttle grip over larger ridge not the one on the end but other end of tube next to killswitch ?

Again.

throttle grip.jpg

I'm guessing that the grip just sits up against that ridge Blanca. I have not personally changed grips, but that would be my best guess.

Wayne the larger ridge closer to killswitch does goes inside of factory grip.
I can feel it right under the grip end.
Also its diff to capture in pic without rolling it back but you can see it if you just roll grip back a bit like I am doing in second pic.

So again I'm curious how you overcame this or got it around ridge ?

THROTTLE GRIP 001.JPG

THROTTLE GRIP 003.JPG

Bumping this old thread for help. I am also not seeing how to get the end of the throttle grip over the ridge near the kill switch. Unlike the OP's pictures, mine is not a nice black conical ridge either. Its a gnarly plastic piece that the factory grip was damn near integrated to.

Any help?

Best you can hope for w the aftermarket grips is to sit right up against it bro..no ridge for it to sit into on the new ones..

I took a dermel with the sandpaper bit and sanded it off. Then used the air compressor method unclesteve talked about.

Thanks for such a good write up. Your advice helped get me going although it did take me a while.

One thing that I didn't realize is that there is a difference between the D3 grips that I bought and the ones you installed.

The clutch side installed fairly easy. The throttle side was a bit tougher.
What I had to to to make it work was cut/sand off that little ridge. I used razor and sandpaper. There was no way the d3 was going to slide on without removing it. When sliding on grip, one thing to remember is to slide it all the way up. The inner most ridge next to the kill switch won't be covered by the D3 grip but you can slide/compress the rubber part just enough to get it all the way on so that you can install the bar end back on. Just keep twisting forward and pushing it in. no problem. I had to try install/uninstall multiple times to get it right but now its perfect.:thumbsup:

Back